Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2004, 09:13 PM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Random thoughts

Please note this is not an original idea. It comes from Bill Hicks...possibly one of the most genius comics to ever have lived. For those of you who like to deprive yourselves of all things awesome and have never heard him, you suck. Go listen. Now. So anyway...onto his thought that I'm modifying.

Why do christians wear crosses and crucifixes around their necks? Do you think that if they're right and jesus does return to earth he's EVER going to want to see another fucking cross? I think if anything that would piss him off (and he can get pissed...he fucked up that temple pretty good after all of those vendors were there). Imagine, if you will, that Jackie Kennedy was still alive. Would you walk up to her with a rifle pendant on and say "just thinkin' of John, Jackie...just thinkin' of John"? Well...I probably would just because I'm an ass, but most people wouldn't. I think anyone wearing a cross should take it off...and possibly be ashamed of themselves.

An interesting post script to this...there's a movie coming out called "The Beast" which is set for release June 6th, 2006 (06-06-06) that argues the theory that jesus never existed. I will be first in line for a ticket to this film. It's based around the findings which are gaining acceptance among scholars that many of the writings about jesus, most of which were written at least 60 or so years after his supposed death, were never meant to be taken as a biography. Another conspiracy theory for the books!
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 09:33 PM   #2
AzCivic

oh geez
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 09:54 PM   #3
drdingo21

Heres a random thought.

Chickens do not have nuggets.
drdingo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 10:14 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

I have LOTS of totally random thoughts.
Never thought of that though.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 10:30 PM   #5
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by drdingo21
Heres a random thought.

Chickens do not have nuggets.

I've noticed at the store that they sell frozen dinners of "turkey medallions". Exactly what part of the turkey does the "medallion" belong to?

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 10-14-2004, 10:35 PM   #6
drdingo21

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
I've noticed at the store that they sell frozen dinners of "turkey medallions". Exactly what part of the turkey does the "medallion" belong to?
Never heard of the medallions. I would assume you get two from every male bird though.
drdingo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 11:09 PM   #7
Fatal070

...Random thought ... I DONT WANT TO GOTO WORK AT 6AM TODAY yes its 12:09 its today!
Old 10-14-2004, 11:31 PM   #8
Kyle
elyK

for the original post...i think people were crosses to remind themselves what jesus did for them...also, how stupid they are.

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 11:57 PM   #9
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle
for the original post...i think people were crosses to remind themselves what jesus did for them...also, how stupid they are.

Man...I don't remember the last time jesus did anything for me.

Old 10-15-2004, 02:54 AM   #10
CD5Passion

very interesting thought ya got there Steve. ever think about this? also has anyone also thought that religion in itself has breeded a lot of violence?
and if you don't think this is true, check out the crusades and how these crusaders scoured europe trying to convert nonchristians and killing those they deemed heretics for not converting. also at the fact that hardcore religious folk get very defensive if you some much as say anything that may somewhat go against their beleifs.
we as humans are doomed to sin the minute we are born. it is only human nature and nothing you can do will stop it.
religion is pretty shady if you ask me

also another random thought that I think about often, is the fact that the human species is nothing more than a plaque. what do viruses do? they replicate and infect and destroy cells. what do humans do? we reproduce and destroy everything around us. the human race is nothing more than viral strain to the world.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:03 AM   #11
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Shardsofxapril
very interesting thought ya got there Steve. ever think about this? also has anyone also thought that religion in itself has breeded a lot of violence?
and if you don't think this is true, check out the crusades and how these crusaders scoured europe trying to convert nonchristians and killing those they deemed heretics for not converting. also at the fact that hardcore religious folk get very defensive if you some much as say anything that may somewhat go against their beleifs.
we as humans are doomed to sin the minute we are born. it is only human nature and nothing you can do will stop it.
religion is pretty shady if you ask me

also another random thought that I think about often, is the fact that the human species is nothing more than a plaque. what do viruses do? they replicate and infect and destroy cells. what do humans do? we reproduce and destroy everything around us. the human race is nothing more than viral strain to the world.

Man, of course religion breeds violence. That is the essence of all belief systems. If someone conveys a different belief than you, they are obviously wrong and must be eradicated. Aside from the crusades you forgot the children's crusades, the Salem witch trials, and the Spanish inquisition. If jesus was alive today he would be labeled a terrorist. With so many followers willing to die for him and he himself willing to die for his beliefs, he would no doubt be at the top of our watch lists. But no...since he supposedly lived 2000 years ago it's ok to follow him blindly. Most hardcore christians claim to adhere to the philosophy of love and acceptance yet they openly and sometimes violently shun those who are homosexual, those who are unwed and pregnant, and those whose beliefs differ even slightly from their own. They should all be ashamed of themselves. No...wait...they should die. Yeah...that's the ticket.

As for the human race...we are a disease. We are just like any other animal species on earth. We eat, sleep, deficate, and procreate...yet we like to kid ourselves that there's so much more to our existense than any other species. Sure, we have a higher thought capacity...but all that's allowed us to do is to destroy our own planet faster than other species. Face it, we're a culture of retarded bipedal apes that managed to beat everyone else down. We're doomed and the only thing keeping us from destroying ourselves is a small voice among us telling us to knock it the fuck off. Oh well...come 2012 we'll all be gone anyway.

Old 10-15-2004, 08:31 AM   #12
AzCivic

you 2 watch the matrix too much
Old 10-15-2004, 08:51 AM   #13
mavaaoife

Random Thought about religon: Im pissed the hell off because my jewish family wont accept the fact im dating an irish christian.... and yes i said dating... not engaged not married.. JUST DATING.... yet they all accept my sister who married a irish christian.. why??? because they have kids.. what a crock of bullshit and a double freaken standard.

Http://www.myspace.com/tehren84
mavaaoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 09:21 AM   #14
CD5Passion

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic

funny you should say that because the matrix is basically the story of jesus. think about it, Neo is "the one". Trinity stands for The Holy Trinity. The agents are the romans. when neo dies thats the crucifixion and then he rises again. theres a lot of, but all The matrix basically is. can't say so much for the sequels. just food for thought.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:26 AM   #15
CD5Passion

Quote:
Man, of course religion breeds violence. That is the essence of all belief systems. If someone conveys a different belief than you, they are obviously wrong and must be eradicated. Aside from the crusades you forgot the children's crusades, the Salem witch trials, and the Spanish inquisition. If jesus was alive today he would be labeled a terrorist. With so many followers willing to die for him and he himself willing to die for his beliefs, he would no doubt be at the top of our watch lists. But no...since he supposedly lived 2000 years ago it's ok to follow him blindly. Most hardcore christians claim to adhere to the philosophy of love and acceptance yet they openly and sometimes violently shun those who are homosexual, those who are unwed and pregnant, and those whose beliefs differ even slightly from their own. They should all be ashamed of themselves. No...wait...they should die. Yeah...that's the ticket.

As for the human race...we are a disease. We are just like any other animal species on earth. We eat, sleep, deficate, and procreate...yet we like to kid ourselves that there's so much more to our existense than any other species. Sure, we have a higher thought capacity...but all that's allowed us to do is to destroy our own planet faster than other species. Face it, we're a culture of retarded bipedal apes that managed to beat everyone else down. We're doomed and the only thing keeping us from destroying ourselves is a small voice among us telling us to knock it the fuck off. Oh well...come 2012 we'll all be gone anyway.

ah-fuckin-men. and we will pass in the time it takes for earth to blink (had it eyes) We're just like the dinosaurs and some new species will arise that will take our places...thats if we don't destroy it first
Old 10-15-2004, 09:37 AM   #16
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

bill hicks was a man.... another dead hero

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 12:52 PM   #17
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i will not participate in this discussion because my dstrong beliefs might upset some religious people on this board. but

JESUS DID IT FOR THE CHICKS

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 03:39 PM   #18
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:

Actually I can't stand those movies. My ideas about religion are my own and I don't need a couple of brothers with lame ass metaphors about it telling me what to do.

And Stefan...I have that shirt.

Old 10-15-2004, 03:47 PM   #19
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

was it you that had that "JESUS save me from your fan club" in siggy a while back ? that will make it as a bumper sticker on my car and prolly on everycar in the church parking lot one of these days

Old 10-15-2004, 04:03 PM   #20
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Yes...that was me.

Old 10-16-2004, 02:00 PM   #21
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

ive realized my religous views dont take well with others who are stong believers in going to church, and not in being a decent human being. im sorry to say but religion has taken the focus off of god and put it on the church. if you dont goto church and you dont give your money to the church your not a good person. i cant see that. i cannot stand people who preach how good and forgiving god is, yet want you to join their church or your not saved. (to (probobly)mis-quote southpark: welcome to hell im sorry you picked the wrong religion. the right religoin was the mormans... thats right, the mormans thats the answer we were looking for.)religion is good for people who cannot see the indifference between right and wrong, good and bad and need someone to guide them. if you believe in yourself, and live a good life according to your morals(considering your not a crazed psyco) then i dont see the need to prove to everyone in the community that your a person of faith.

Old 10-16-2004, 05:19 PM   #22
MissJDM

I'm Buddhist.

you say it best when you say nothing at all
MissJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 05:48 PM   #23
CD5Passion

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
ive realized my religous views dont take well with others who are stong believers in going to church, and not in being a decent human being. im sorry to say but religion has taken the focus off of god and put it on the church. if you dont goto church and you dont give your money to the church your not a good person. i cant see that. i cannot stand people who preach how good and forgiving god is, yet want you to join their church or your not saved. (to (probobly)mis-quote southpark: welcome to hell im sorry you picked the wrong religion. the right religoin was the mormans... thats right, the mormans thats the answer we were looking for.)religion is good for people who cannot see the indifference between right and wrong, good and bad and need someone to guide them. if you believe in yourself, and live a good life according to your morals(considering your not a crazed psyco) then i dont see the need to prove to everyone in the community that your a person of faith.

chris that was well said I must say , i tip my hat to you
Old 10-16-2004, 05:50 PM   #24
Kyle
elyK

Quote:
Actually I can't stand those movies. My ideas about religion are my own and I don't need a couple of brothers with lame ass metaphors about it telling me what to do.

And Stefan...I have that shirt.

I don't think they were telling you to do anything...the movies were good...lol

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Old 10-16-2004, 08:24 PM   #25
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate

i dont know what weird churches you've been going to. catholic maybe?
Old 10-16-2004, 09:05 PM   #26
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Well the catholic church is definitely one of the more fucked up churches simply because of it's vast hierarchy that many other churches don't have. But all christian churches, to an extent, have taken a lot of the focus off of "god" by playing childish games and making unreasonable demands of the laymen. If "god" is truely all about love and acceptance, then why shun anyone who doesn't agree with your philosophy of religion and deem them heretical? This is, again, more previlent in the catholic church, but also alive and well in other sects of christianity. Take mormons (ironic you can take one letter out and it becomes "morons"), for example. My great aunt's son converted to mormonism (they recruit HEAVILY in the military...which is his career) and she couldn't attend her own daughter's wedding since mormons don't allow any "non-believers" into their temples. Or the southern baptists' particularly unenlightened crusade against homosexuality. Or Jehovah's Witnesses beliefs that anyone not believing what they velieve, no matter how pious, will be held in a lesser position in the afterlife. It's not limited to christianity either. Look at how jews and muslims fight non-stop simply over ideological differences (and sometimes petty arguements over who owns a particular section of dirt and sand). It's all about exclusion and ignorance in a usually passive aggressive fashion.

Old 10-16-2004, 10:42 PM   #27
Kyle
elyK

Quote:
Well the catholic church is definitely one of the more fucked up churches simply because of it's vast hierarchy that many other churches don't have. But all christian churches, to an extent, have taken a lot of the focus off of "god" by playing childish games and making unreasonable demands of the laymen. If "god" is truely all about love and acceptance, then why shun anyone who doesn't agree with your philosophy of religion and deem them heretical? This is, again, more previlent in the catholic church, but also alive and well in other sects of christianity. Take mormons (ironic you can take one letter out and it becomes "morons"), for example. My great aunt's son converted to mormonism (they recruit HEAVILY in the military...which is his career) and she couldn't attend her own daughter's wedding since mormons don't allow any "non-believers" into their temples. Or the southern baptists' particularly unenlightened crusade against homosexuality. Or Jehovah's Witnesses beliefs that anyone not believing what they velieve, no matter how pious, will be held in a lesser position in the afterlife. It's not limited to christianity either. Look at how jews and muslims fight non-stop simply over ideological differences (and sometimes petty arguements over who owns a particular section of dirt and sand). It's all about exclusion and ignorance in a usually passive aggressive fashion.

nicely put

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Old 10-16-2004, 11:07 PM   #28
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i think religion is most fucked up thing in this world and most of the shit that's been going on from the begining is because of religion.

Old 10-16-2004, 11:14 PM   #29
AzCivic

Well try attending a Church of Christ, its not all weird, they dont make you feel like your wrong for not thinking like they do. they of course talk to you about God, and how they believe in the teachings of the Bible. There's no odd ball hierarchy that says your not good enough to talk to God. No weird beliefs, like the Mormons' "black people are demons" crap.

Its basically do what is right(which the bible is teaches) believe in God, not just believe(cause the devil "believes" in God) but accept that he created you and I and is the ruler of this universe.
and show that you have faith by being baptized. Then all there is left is go to church to learn about all the stuff in the bible, and try to talk to friends/loved ones about it.

Or don't, and pretend that its possible for a universe to be created from nothing by nothing for no reason.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:17 PM   #30
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
i think religion is most fucked up thing in this world and most of the shit that's been going on from the begining is because of religion.

weak people will grab onto anything that makes them feel like they belong, for some its religion for others its gangs and the feeling of pride for the 8block area they "represent".

in america we have people killing eachother over the color of thier clothes and over the area of their city. at least in the middle east theres thousands of years of history behind the land their fighting for.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:27 PM   #31
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
weak people will grab onto anything that makes them feel like they belong, for some its religion for others its gangs and the feeling of pride for the 8block area they "represent".

in america we have people killing eachother over the color of thier clothes and over the area of their city. at least in the middle east theres thousands of years of history behind the land their fighting for.

i knew that, but most religious wars waren't only in middle east. former russia is full of jews, so is a big part of the eastern europe. if you look back in history you will see that christianity had it's crusades to convert the rest of the word to their religion. even between the different parts of christianity there are tensions. What buffles me to this day is why most of the christianity regards sex as a sin ? isn't that the only way to procreate ? and i have some more intersting theories about jesus but they all will come in time.

Old 10-16-2004, 11:30 PM   #32
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Ive been to lots of different churches. Seen god preached lots of different ways, including punishment, threats, praise, love, and power.

Im just better off without it.

I found 2 bibles today, in my room. Instead of throwing them out, I decided to take them to a church, where they will be used.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 11:56 PM   #33
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Its basically do what is right(which the bible is teaches) believe in God, not just believe(cause the devil "believes" in God) but accept that he created you and I and is the ruler of this universe.
and show that you have faith by being baptized. Then all there is left is go to church to learn about all the stuff in the bible, and try to talk to friends/loved ones about it.

Or don't, and pretend that its possible for a universe to be created from nothing by nothing for no reason.

Realistically that's not far off from more mainstream stuff like catholicism. You said they don't judge people by their beliefs, but can't you believe in "god" without believing that the bible is all there is to it? Or to believe in "god" but not believe that he created us or is the ruler of the universe? See...if anything, that sort of church would piss me off more. The implication that you should "talk to your friends/loved ones" sounds just a hair shy of doing missions. I've read the bible front to back more than once...yet I don't have faith in the christian "god" and absolutely refuse to push my beliefs onto others. Besides...the bible (new testament and some of the old) was written decades if not centuries after the periods it discusses, most of which are simply parables of how to live your life...not literal stories. I've been baptised...yet I do not attend church or care what any church has to say. I think the big problem is that people absolutely refuse to combine religion with common sense. For instance...evolution. Why hasn't anyone ever suggested the possibility that "god" created life and then that lifeform evolved? If you're to take the bible literally and it all starts with just Adam and Eve, then we would all be related. We'd all be brothers and sister. Think about that the next time you get laid. Or, in respect to the creation of the universe, that no one will ever know how it happened and should shut the fuck up about it. Although...you mention it being created from nothing...if there was nothing then where does "god" come from? Something can't come from nothing so "god" would have had to have come from somewhere as well. Things can't just "have always been". I'm a die hard agnostic. I find that most people who claim to know who, what, or if "god" is are incredibly arrogant and self serving. With such knowledge you might as well BE "god".

Old 10-17-2004, 12:55 AM   #34
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
i dont know what weird churches you've been going to. catholic maybe?

yes actually....

Old 10-17-2004, 01:40 AM   #35
CD5Passion

so steve, do you beleive in any aspect that the "Big Bang" theory has to offer?
my bio class had a discussion on the theories behind the creation of the universe. One thing I find interesting about it then, and this may be thinking too hard, but if there was a big bang, and everything came from a ball of hydrogen and whatnot....what was this ball floating in?....nothing...I would think this highly unlikely, void maybe. I would think this idea would lead to the existence of seperate planes.......woah i gotta stop because I'm freaking myself out and I need sleep
Old 10-17-2004, 01:44 AM   #36
Kyle
elyK

I was god once...it was pretty fun. Until i got evicted from my apartment and became scarred for life.

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Old 10-17-2004, 02:20 AM   #37
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Shardsofxapril
so steve, do you beleive in any aspect that the "Big Bang" theory has to offer?
my bio class had a discussion on the theories behind the creation of the universe. One thing I find interesting about it then, and this may be thinking too hard, but if there was a big bang, and everything came from a ball of hydrogen and whatnot....what was this ball floating in?....nothing...I would think this highly unlikely, void maybe. I would think this idea would lead to the existence of seperate planes.......woah i gotta stop because I'm freaking myself out and I need sleep

Well...yes and no. I won't claim to know what caused the universe to be. Maybe it came from a parallel existence, maybe it came from something beyond our known universe which is "only" something like 100 billion trillion miles (try wrapping your mind around THAT). I just don't think it had anything to do with a supreme diety...but I could be wrong. It's just a matter of reasoning. If "god" created "the earth and the heavens", why make so much of it that's virtually useless? There are so many planets and bodies flying through space that aren't much more than desolate rocks or gasious bodies. And, since the general concensus amongst hardcore christians and various other religions is that the idea of extraterrestrials is heretical, what's the point of all of that crap floating around out there if it's all supposed to be planned? That idea is so absurd to me since, as we live in just one galaxy of billions upon billions, it's incredibly pompous and egotistical to think that humans are the only ones out here. That's like someone who's never seen anything but a white human being saying that everyone else on the earth must be white. It's understandable...but ultimately wrong. Nevermind that the bible itself makes several references to "chariots of fire", ancient Sumarians had detailed maps of the solar system dating back 6,000 years yet the first telescope wasn't invented until the 1600's, and Mayans have ancient carvings of men in what look suspiciously like rockets. Nope...it's just us. Ridiculous. But like I said, I don't have a clue how it all started. I doubt anyone will be able to prove definitively one way or the other. Even if they could, no doubt the other side of the table would refuse to believe it. Science and religion are like baptists and gays...they'll never get along.

Old 10-17-2004, 08:29 AM   #38
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
i knew that, but most religious wars waren't only in middle east. former russia is full of jews, so is a big part of the eastern europe. if you look back in history you will see that christianity had it's crusades to convert the rest of the word to their religion. even between the different parts of christianity there are tensions. What buffles me to this day is why most of the christianity regards sex as a sin ? isn't that the only way to procreate ? and i have some more intersting theories about jesus but they all will come in time.

uhh what church says sex is a sin? they say sex outside marriage is a sin, but not the act.

the crusades were also back when the catholic church was over everything. goes to show that the catholic church has been screwed since the beginning.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:30 AM   #39
AzCivic

and GT40 learn to get your ideas across w/ out an 8page report and I'll respond to them.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:37 PM   #40
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
and GT40 learn to get your ideas across w/ out an 8page report and I'll respond to them.

What...you want me to apologize for articulating my opinions? I don't think so. The only reason they're as long as thery are is to convey said opinions in a clear manor. Don't wanna read it? Fine...I'm not going to stop.

Oh...and technically, in most churches sex is a sin even in marriage if it's for any other reason than procreation. "god" forbid you should ever do it for pleasure.