.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2002, 09:24 PM   #1
Kyle
elyK

TV for Christmas

Hey guys...this doesn't have anything to do with computers...but electronics..it's all the same.
Alright... http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=24&scat=1471
this one is a 20" tv/dvd combo. I was thinkin of this one, because it's an alright size with a dvd player in it already...it can also play burned cds and regular cd's and stuff...
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=26
I was thinking about this one too because it's a pretty good price...it's nice and big(love to play games on a big screen) and I could just buy the dvd player thing for xbox and then i'd have my dvd player...

The tv i have right now is the oldest piece of shit in the world...it is color though, so it's not too too bad...
it doesn't have any hookups on the back either, so thats why i'm lookin for a new one...
help me out here...

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 10:06 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

I don't know too much about TVs, but I do know that I have a Sony Wega and its really nice.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 10:27 PM   #3
blind34_1

make sure you buy the service agreement. When its something cheap (like the $60 dvd player i bought) that service agreement will save you money in the end.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 11:24 PM   #4
Chief
Banned

I personally don't care for the dvd/tv combo - if the dvd breaks, you're screwed. If it were me, I'd go for a better tv and worry about the dvd player later.

How 'bout a nice plasma screen tv?
Old 12-09-2002, 01:04 AM   #5
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief
I personally don't care for the dvd/tv combo - if the dvd breaks, you're screwed. If it were me, I'd go for a better tv and worry about the dvd player later.

Yeah, I would tend to agree. Combo players were originally made for a niche market - specifically for retail stores to play demonstrations, like Ace Hardware showing you how to waterproof wood, or whatever.

Seperate units are better for most ppl, I think, but they still have their uses.
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 01:33 AM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

just get them separate man. it's better in the long run.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 01:48 AM   #7
Kyle
elyK

So go with the 32" and get the Xbox dvd player?

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Old 12-09-2002, 07:38 AM   #8
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle
So go with the 32" and get the Xbox dvd player?

Yes.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:43 AM   #9
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Be king daddy pimp and get this!

http://www.gateway.com/home/prod/hm_...oddetail.shtml
Old 12-09-2002, 02:01 PM   #10
spoogenet

I don't know anything about that TV, but there are certain things to consider.

1. Budget.
2. Length of time you plan on having the TV.
3. Primary use for the TV. Games, DVDs, cable, all of the above?
4. Ever plan on going HDTV?

Obviously budget is the first limiting factor. If you plan on owning a TV as your only TV for a long time then get something very good today. If you're like me and plan on eventually relegating the TV to the bedroom and plan to build a good home theater setup later, then you can skimp more on the TV today.

For the uses of the TV, a normal aspect ratio TV won't be the best if you plan on watching lots of widescreen movies, you'll underuse the phosphors for the top and bottom of the screen and "burn" the bands in.

If you plan on hooking lots of things up, such as a DVD player, cable box, Xbox and/or other gaming systems, make sure the inputs meet your needs. A lot of TVs won't have many inputs. The more component the better, however you'll usually only get 1 component input for anything other than nice HDTV sets. Also MAKE SURE THE INPUTS ARE ON SEPARATE CHANNELS. Some TVs will advertise having 2 S-video and 1 component but they'll only have 3 channels, 1 for coax, 1 for S-video OR composite, and 1 for S-video OR component. Make sure your component channel is on its own channel to avoid conflicts.

I see the 32" Sanyo has 1 S-video and 0 component. If you want to hook up your DVD player you'll use S-video, you'll also want S-video for your X-box. You may need to invest in a good cable, a good switch, or a TV with more inputs. It has 1 rear and 1 front A/V connection (composite video). The front will be on its own channel, but the rear input MAY be on the same channel as the S-video, if you want to use 2 composite video connections you could get screwed.

I know it's a little long and I could go on for a while longer about picking the right TV, but you didn't exactly ask for advice on how to pick a TV so I'll shut up now unless you want more.

b
Old 12-09-2002, 02:16 PM   #11
nonovurbizniz

I don't know if any of you would want to but I got a 32" tv from the wiz on 1 year no interest. so they basicly gave me the tv and let me pay it off over a year. this GREATLY increases your budget.

JUST DON'T LET a balance carry past the year other wise they charge you cumlitave interest and that sucks balls.

Oh and I know a Fair bit about electronics/tvs.

don't get shitty brands
stick with
sony (the problem with sony is to get a good tv you MUST buy the top of the line (they make you pay for every little feature that most other companies just include (component video input, S-Video Inputs (they don't matter if you don't have any S-video sorces) multiple rca video inputs pip etc.) but the reason they make you pay is they use FAR better pieces than other companies)
magnavox
philipps

in my opinion it goes in that order too.

I got a Toshiba and 1 year after I bought it... when i turn it off and back on the picture takes forever to be clear.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:52 PM   #12
spoogenet

Which Toshiba? I just bought a Toshiba 27AF42, I can't remember if I'm still within the 30 day "still can buy a PSP period" or not....maybe I should consider getting one?

b
Old 12-09-2002, 07:33 PM   #13
Kyle
elyK

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
Be king daddy pimp and get this!

http://www.gateway.com/home/prod/hm_...oddetail.shtml

lol
my mom's looking to get a 60"...they're like 15k

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Old 12-09-2002, 07:44 PM   #14
nonovurbizniz

I don't know the model # but it's a piece of crap I forgot to mention the s-video stopped working around the same time.

It's just a crappy tv.

Plus even if you can only afford a Sony Trinitron instead of the wega. It just looks a thousand times better not being all fish-bowled like other tv's.

the sony's are great products and I was a dumbass for not getting one.

My big thing was I wasn't going to by sony on name recognition I wanted to get the best TV for the money. I ended up getting sold on the toshiba cuz the specs LOOK better. but like I said in the last post. they use shitty shitty parts or they don't know how to make TV's like sony does. cuz IT SUCKS MY NUTS.

Oh and this is for TV's only there "cheap" trinitron's are far and away better than other TV's in the price range even if they do lack features... HOWEVER almost every other product line sony makes the bottom of the line even up to mid (in most cases) just plain suck... there car audio speakers and amps are so shitty it makes me sick... there home audio if it doesn't say ES it will suck suck suck. and if it does say ES it'll have alsorts of over engineered quirks that'll drive you nuts (but the quality is unreal for the price (there's better stuff out there but mentioning it will do you or I about as much good as the link to the 60" Plasma))

So anyway I'm not sure what you meant but if you mean you may be able to return the toshiba for a sony I would say that I would.

This isn't to say others or your own experience might be different. but if I could pay someone to take my toshiba and give me a smaller trinitron with less features I'd do it. well.... maybe not the smaller part.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:01 PM   #15
spoogenet

For a minute there I thought you were a die hard Sony lover till I saw your comments about the audio. I was just about to mention that Sony does make their fair share of crappy products.

The Toshiba I got is a 27" flat screen. It looked better than the 27" flat screen Sony and Panasonic it was sitting between. I spent about 30 minutes playing with all 3 to adjust settings and stuff and the Toshiba just looked clearer and had a more natural color balance. All 3 were running off of coax, that's not to say the cable splitting wasn't part of the problem. That's a problem with in-store TVs, not all of them are connected equally.

Anyhow, I hope I don't have problems with my TV but I ended up getting the 4 year PSP last night just in case......I don't know that my TV is great, I can only hope.

At the same time your experience with Toshiba might have just been a single lemon. Every manufacturer, no matter how good, has some bad products get into customers' hands. I wouldn't necessarily swear by Sony, though, as I have also known people with Sony TVs to have problems with them. Your individual success with any TV depends on a number of factors.

I do definitely give Sony credit for many good features such as their scan line compression (whatever they call it). It's a nice idea to make a sharper image when watching DVDs, but its also only available on 32+" WEGA systems. No-go for the 27". They also are nice enough to toss in fixed and variable audio outputs on their WEGA line, something that few other TVs in the 27" category come with. Panasonic and Toshiba offer it in their 27" flat screens but I don't think many or any others do for the 27".

b