::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2007, 12:54 AM   #1
Gone

iphone

So the word on the market is that the new iphone is the top portable communication device out on the market right now. I'm not too sure what applications it has that sets it apart from most of the other phones out there right now.

I watched the releasing of the thing this afternoon and it's pretty neat. I like the lack of actual buttons. But as for using the internet and all that, I'm not one to like those people that constantly use it. A few of my friends have used their phones to surf the internet when we were just out hanging downtown and it pisses me off. I think they are going too far with certain technologies.

Anyone else watch the release?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:38 AM   #2
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I saw it on the news...it looks iTarded.

Sorry, but I wouldn't trust Apple to make me a sandwich. Like hell I'm letting them make my phone.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

steve your gonna have to step out of your cave soon and realize apple makes the best computer shit now adays. they switched off the 5.25" oregon trail floppys a few years back and now make all the badass CGI movies and good music you like listening to.

i just got a 80gb iPod and i have yet to find a flaw. it has more functions than any other mp3 player ive messed with, and it has more accessories, and its easier to use despite its 1 button and 1 touch/turn wheel.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Sure...if they're computers didn't crash every 20 minutes and they're media players didn't have incredibly flawed software and ridiculously poor battery reliability. And did I mention their shitty proprietary format via iTunes? I'm pretty sure I did. Face it...if you're not looking for a computer that will do graphically intensive work then Apple might as well just take a shit in your mouth. Their portable media players suck, most of their computers suck, and their AAC media format absolutely sucks. Fuck Apple and fuck they're new dipshit iphone.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 01-10-2007, 11:45 PM   #5
Gone

I beg to differ, I have both macs and pcs and my mac is far more reliable. The only problem I have still is gaming on macs but that's a given.

I wish they made a larger ipod sadly enough. I have 92 gbs of music and growing still and it pisses me off going through it all and trying to make a playlist but oh well. I'll live.

I've been a lifelong fan of mac and pc both and to be honest I prefer osx. I also just like the way apple presents it's laptops even if it doesn't play too much of a role in performance. Macs aren't as processor intensive unless you're running high graphics which I like.

In the long run, macs will end up the major holders for computers.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:21 AM   #6
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i have been using my iPod every day all day long since i got it. its always on, between music and playing games on it in class from time to time. i let it play for 4-5 hrs strait at work and i have yet to be able to bring it under 1/2 battery in a day(5-7 hrs of play time on avg). granted my buddys 30gb and 60gb from a year or so ago will die in the same amount of time, so they have found a problem and improved on it. i havnt found a problem with iTunes. it works, it does what it says, and its not nearly as restrictive with mp3s as i originally thought. sure maybe their programs eat a little cpu speed, but not nearly as bad as AIM, or firefox, or anything that does... less. i dunno man, they might have their fair share of problems, most of which it seems i have never run across, but all i know is anyone i know with a mac, or mac product swears by it, and anyone who has never really owned and used one seems to hate them. i dunno... just how i see it.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

You know...in my high school we had 1 Mac. It was used by the newspaper people. Some of the teachers knew that I could find my way around a computer and I knew Macs well enough. I'd say 8 out of 10 times they'd call me in to fix something, it was that fucking Mac. Yes...they are great for some things. But PCs will always have them beat when it comes to general usage. And obviously not all of them are crap...but they seem to have a much higher rate of problems than other brands.

Another huge problem with Apple is their proprietary formats. iTunes uses AAC format which doesn't like to be transfered to any non-Apple devices and their computers can only run on Apple-designed software (unless someone takes the time to adapt PC software to Mac specs). Remember when MS got sued for having a monopoly? Yeah...why doesn't someone sue Mac? They're obviously trying to control the market of their platform with proprietary formatting. Face it...Apple is bullshit. Anything that can't be used on any machine without special software (like AAC) is total crap. Try transfering your shitty iTunes to another MP3 player and see how they work. Here's a hint: they won't. Apple just fucked you and you're thanking them for the pleasure. Well played sir...well played.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:41 PM   #8
CD5Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT40FIED
Sure...if they're computers didn't crash every 20 minutes and they're media players didn't have incredibly flawed software and ridiculously poor battery reliability. And did I mention their shitty proprietary format via iTunes? I'm pretty sure I did. Face it...if you're not looking for a computer that will do graphically intensive work then Apple might as well just take a shit in your mouth. Their portable media players suck, most of their computers suck, and their AAC media format absolutely sucks. Fuck Apple and fuck they're new dipshit iphone.

oh come on steve. my Mac has only crashed once and I've had this computer since I was 18 years old. Same computer and the only time it had to be repaired was when my cat broke the screen. I had the battery replaced last summer for the first time. Not to mention that most virus programs target PC. Stick to what you want man, but face it. Mac > PC.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:42 PM   #9
CD5Passion

Quote:
Another huge problem with Apple is their proprietary formats. iTunes uses AAC format which doesn't like to be transfered to any non-Apple devices and their computers can only run on Apple-designed software (unless someone takes the time to adapt PC software to Mac specs). Remember when MS got sued for having a monopoly? Yeah...why doesn't someone sue Mac?

what about Sony with their blueray discs?
Old 01-11-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

steve, honesty have you used itunes? or used a mac recently. i said that they have been making their products better and better, unlike PCs who have kinda just thrown in new technologies that still have problems. sure itunes uses ACC, but they have a ACC -> mp3 converter if im not mistaken, plus your highschool mac was at least what, 8 years ago?

i will not say that your argument is not good, if this was 1998, but times have changed. macs dont crash nearly as much. ive been using a little crappy iBook for the past few months to do music recording on and its spectacular. i have the equivalent software and programs on my PC, with a better sound card and with actual 1/4' instrument jacks and real mic inputs and you know what, the mac is easier to use, and sounds better when using the same equipment.

look i loved my PC and everything it can/did do, i still own it, but the truth is i dont see Dell or whoever trying to improve their existing products the way mac has, i see them introducing new shit that works 75% of the time. i usta swear against macs till i worked with them, used their products, and seen the changes over the past few years especially. thats my point im trying to make. what the mac in your highschool 7-10 years ago did really is irrelevant when we're talking about what mac is doing today.

edit im wrong about the ACC - > mp3 files, at least i think i am, but windows uses wma files and about 50,000 other kinds that arnt compatable with other players, come to think about it, so does real, and divx, and quicktime(mac i know but yeah) and every other program that is its own stand alone media player, so point every one of your fingers, not just the one at apple

Old 01-11-2007, 04:19 PM   #11
Mischief

Quote:
You know...in my high school we had 1 Mac. It was used by the newspaper people. Some of the teachers knew that I could find my way around a computer and I knew Macs well enough. I'd say 8 out of 10 times they'd call me in to fix something, it was that fucking Mac.
That was 7+ years ago.

http://mensalmanac.com
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #12
CD5Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCantSkate
\
edit im wrong about the ACC - > mp3 files, at least i think i am, but windows uses wma files and about 50,000 other kinds that arnt compatable with other players, come to think about it, so does real, and divx, and quicktime(mac i know but yeah) and every other program that is its own stand alone media player, so point every one of your fingers, not just the one at apple

you are right chris.

just as in almost any program you can convert almost any file format to another.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:26 PM   #13
Gone

Actually now you can tell which format you want itunes to use defaulted and it will convert whatever you have to that format. I have 92 gbs of music and it has converted it all to mp3 and it doesn't have a problem playing them on my friends mp3players. I don't really see what he's talking about but then again I didn't use itunes when it was first released.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:13 AM   #14
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

yeah i use all mp3 format on mine no problem whatsoever. i guess i didnt see the convert to mp3 since all mine are mp3s, i just saw convert to ACC

Old 01-12-2007, 06:33 AM   #15
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

You know...you guys are right. It's been a long time since I've used a Mac in any serious way. Then again, all of my past experiences tell me to run screaming away from any Mac I see. I mean, if they'd made some significant improvements and really impressed me, I might give them a second try. That hasn't happened yet so I'm still waiting. The things people praise Macs for today are the same things they praised them for 5-10 years ago when they were plagued with problems so I don't see much that's changed.

Chris...what program/equipment are you using to record music to your comp. with? I can tell you that, with a decent processor, ProTools tends to sound significantly better on PC...although it's not at all bad on a Mac either. Some of the less intense programs like SoundForge or Cakewalk sometimes do sound better on Macs...I think it has something to do with processor priority.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:57 AM   #16
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

ive used sound forge, pro tools, sonic foundry, and FL stuido. all of them were harder to get the peaks adjusted correctly for what we needed, as it kept maxing out till i almost had to kill the volume. i couldnt give it a wide eough range, if that makes any sence, im having a hard time describing it. but anyways, the mac one either auto adjusted, or had a simple tool to do it, i forget, its my buddys iBook and we've got it setup and or he does it now. i dunno, its just an easier program to use. i still think in the back of my head my equipment has more potential as far as my recording card and laundry list of programs to use, but at the end of the day, it takes me twice to 3 times as long to get comparable results.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:20 AM   #17
blind34_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD5Passion
Not to mention that most virus programs target PC.

Your statement is not accurate, but sadly very common. This is why I'm saying something. PC = what? Windows? nay. I can run a Mac OS on a PC. There is still Mac hardware, but the lines between PC hardware and Mac hardware are changing.

malware is generally programmed for Windows only, simply because it is the most popular, likely to do the most damage, get the most fame, spread easier, etc. If Mac were to be adopted to a larger cross section of the industry, then exploit efforts will naturally go that direction. Same goes for any operating system.

PC's can run anything. Most people are still running Windows. Plenty run a flavor of Linux, others are running Mac OS. Just make sure you make that distinction when arguing the case against "PC".
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote