User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2003, 12:09 PM   #1
Adb23

Turbo or Spercharge

Hey,
I have a 95 del sol vtec and am going to do forced induction

I don't know Which is more reliable,cheaper,More gains?

I need some help. I've heard that the turbo will have more power.

thanks
Old 02-03-2003, 12:56 PM   #2
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

A turbo just seems more logical to go with to me over a supercharger...

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:16 PM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

turbo

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:22 PM   #4
a96710

Turbo
a96710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 04:27 AM   #5
pissedoffsol

turbo owns superchargers for all applications except auto cross, where low end power is a must.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:51 AM   #6
Adb23

hm..... yeah plus turbos sound better.
Which is more reliable though?
Old 02-09-2003, 01:43 AM   #7
pissedoffsol

anything is only as relaible as you build and tune it
Old 02-09-2003, 06:30 PM   #8
RU_Teg

I'd go with the turbo...
Old 02-10-2003, 09:51 AM   #9
Operatic

Okay, heres what you have to look at, what type of area you're in and your weather conditions mainly. If it snows out durning the winter, your gonna want that turbo. Then you can turn down how much psi your getting. But lets say your liveing in an area like Houston, Texas. Either Turbo or Supercharger.

Heres another aspect you could look at. Superchargers come in two forms, Root and Certifial (i think thats what it is, i'm at school at the moment and i don't have my handy dandy Turbo/Super notepad on me =P) Root basicly means that you get all that forced air induction goodness as soon as you step on the gas. While the other one that starts with a C means you'll get your power around 2,500-3,000rpms. But you also can't control how much psi you're getting. Also another thing i've noticed is that a supercharger puts more strain no your belts.

Okay, Turbo, you can control how much boost you're getting. And with a handy dandy turbo timer, you can set when the bad larry kicks in. Sure everyone says you get that cool "psssht" sound, but i think in the end its really up to you.

You want the kit that you don't need to do much work to, just a quick bolt on with little tinkering. go SUPERCHARGER.

you want that kit you can finely tune to your exact needs. TURBO's for you baby.

in the end its all up to you. now lets see if i could answer some of your questions now that i got my bs out of the way =P

*more reliable,cheaper,More gains?*
Okay, as for reliability, its a toss up. They are both pretty reliable. And most seem to run around the same prices. But i tend to see Superchargers being about a $1,000 or so cheaper. As for gains, depends on the supercharger, or for the turbo, depends on how much psi you put into it.

*I've heard that the turbo will have more power.*
oh ya, in the end, you could deffiently make a turbo more powerful then a supercharger, hands down. But its gonna take a lot of work and money. If you just want instant gratification / speed with little work. Just go with the Supercharger. If you wanna fine tune it, Turbo's for you. sorry i reidirated that =/

hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:18 PM   #10
Adb23

Wow you know your stuff~!

See I really do love the turbo sound and all the tunning capabillity
But!.... I don't have that much money. For the supercharger, Which one could I get. They always say for non-vtec! Can you guys help me out with which one to get?!? turbo or SC

I have a 95 vtec del sol... THanks ALot
Old 02-10-2003, 07:31 PM   #11
Operatic

Okay, did you consider your area? cause if it snows out durning winter, your gonna hate your car if you get a supercharger. cause you'll be out of control all the time.

Turbo: HKS or Greedy, but thats my personal opinion
Supercharger: Vortech, Jackson or ATI (i think thats the brand name, it hasn't come out yet. But from what i read, they should be very nice)
and a Air-to-Air Intercooler for your supercharger. its ideal for street use. Thats not a brand name, its a type of Intercooler.

but in the very end man, i think its completely up to you. best of luck.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:58 PM   #12
Galtree

I'v got the same car and the same question, but I thought that you also had to get some new internals or some stuff that wouldn't break due to the pressure and heat. I really don't know and was wondering if one of you guys knew? O and what about the governor? Where is it and how do I remove it?
Thx
Old 03-03-2003, 01:50 PM   #13
Spitz

I think turbos work better on cars with vtec imo also they sound cool as hell so that's always good
Old 03-03-2003, 08:22 PM   #14
Operatic

the governor? new clue, sorry man.

Okay, a lot of people recommand that when you get a turbo or a supercharger that you get lower compression pistons. But you know what, i say screw that. heres my reasoning. but remember, this is mine.

The lower compression pistons help make it so your car doesn't blow up. Cause of to much air being forced into your pistons, and the spark is done to quickly and your car catches on fire. BUT HEAR ME OUT! your car gets slower when you run lower compression pistons.

Lower Compression, more PSI - to go fast
Higher Compression, less PSI - to go fast

now, thats just me. If you really want to be safe, just go for lower compression pistons. but if your getting a supercharger, its very very very wisely recommanded that you get lower compression pistons. since you can't exactly change how much power is being made by those bad boys.

Also, an intercooler helps the car. Cause for turbos, the air is coming from the exaust pipeing, so that means its gonna be hot, and the intercooler helps cool the air down before it goes back through the turbo. also cold air is better for the pistons. thank you howstuffworks.com =P you don't exactly need an intercooler, but they do help, a lot.

i think that answered all the questions.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:52 PM   #15
Shot 2 Hel

Quote:
Originally posted by Galtree
I'v got the same car and the same question, but I thought that you also had to get some new internals or some stuff that wouldn't break due to the pressure and heat. I really don't know and was wondering if one of you guys knew? O and what about the governor? Where is it and how do I remove it?
Thx

the governor is in the car's ECU. If you have a Honda/Acura, and I'm assuming you do since you have the same car. I would recommend getting a hondata ECU addition, and then have someone who knows how to set it up where it works the best. Since Honda makes ECU's that work best with Honda cars or whatever. What that means is its the most economical. Plus with that Hondata chip, you can do a whole lot of other things like lower when VTEC kicks in, including a number of different things that you might want to make your car more race efficient.

and someone could prove me wrong that the governor is not in the ECU, if you can more power to you. But i havent heard of it being anywhere else

www.hondata.com