::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2004, 06:49 PM   #1
HondaGUY2005

So whats the deal with boosting a b16?

I was gunna go all motor type R in my rex which would be very kool, or a boosted b16. how easy is it to get this set up into the 11's? ...the only reason i say 11's is cause it seems very possible with a CRX and a b16, and a greddy turbo kit.

what do Si's run with a greddy turo kit? i guess you can jsut take that number and knock off, what? like a second or two? haha.

thanks for your time.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:30 PM   #2
4drmadness

well w/ a rex and the right tuning w/ that I wouldn't think it could be to hard....the only thing is not sure how streetable it would be once it was tuned for the 11's..

big thing for that would a P&P head and blueprinted/balance block internals and crack etc. upgraded low compression pistons and rods,block guard for safety, titanium valvle springs/retainers, fuel pump upgrade/rail etc..

Just to name a few things involded pretty much..good luck w/ your goal for the 11's..
Old 02-14-2004, 09:29 PM   #3
nonovurbizniz

Quote:
Originally posted by 4drmadness
well w/ a rex and the right tuning w/ that I wouldn't think it could be to hard....the only thing is not sure how streetable it would be once it was tuned for the 11's..

big thing for that would a P&P head and blueprinted/balance block internals and crack etc. upgraded low compression pistons and rods,block guard for safety, titanium valvle springs/retainers, fuel pump upgrade/rail etc..

Just to name a few things involded pretty much..good luck w/ your goal for the 11's..

What?

P&P is a worthless FI mod imo... it's FORCED air.. it doesn't need to be all that smooth... and polishing can lead to fuel stickign to the metal instead of staying airborn...

Upgrading the internals would also be pointless if he's only hoping to run a kit...

Hell you CAN build the internals... but it's gunna piss you off when your kit can't produce enough psi to take advantage of them... and then you spend more money then you did on the kit replacing parts of the kit to make it an actual drag setup...

I wouldn't drop the compression either... that's kind of rediculous imo... unless you're running REALLY high boost it's just robbing you of bottom end power.

Also just my opinion but the B16 is also kinda pointless imo... it doesn't make THAT much more power than a z6 or y8 and it costs MUCH more... the only advantage it really has is seperately tunable cams and exhaust side vtec... which isn't nothing by any stretch but it's not 2500+ worth either...

If I were you I'd try to figure out EXACTLY what you're shooting for...

If it's 11's I don't think a b16 is the best block to start with... I'd go with a turbo LS motor or LS/CRVtec with boost... or even an H22 if they make mounts for the CRX... with a b16 tranny and stock or aftermarkey LSD... You could probobly put that together for less and it will certainly have more potential than a b16...

Don't get me wrong boosted b16's are good shit... but I wouldn't spend the money for a swap without REALLY thinking about the long-term... Why get a b16 for a little less (or more) than a GSR or a LOT more than a LS block/vtec head.

To hit 11's you're going to be maxing out that little 1.6... If you want a maxed out motor that does 11's I'd go with a turbo D16 before I did a b16.... it would be MUCH cheaper both in the build as well as the eventual re-build if need be...

Check out this thread.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=267641

It's a guy selling b16 rods with JDM supra pistons (forged) that you can run upto 18psi on with NO other mods to a D16... I believe he runs 20+psi with NO other internal work besides a thicker headgasket.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:17 AM   #4
AzCivic

i have to disagree with porting being a waste for forced induction, when you use the term "psi" your basically saying how much air is stuck in the intake manifold. so psi is the measurement of restriction your IM and Head are providing, make them less restrictive and you'll get the same amount of power you were making at say 15psi but now at 13psi.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 07:09 PM   #5
HondaGUY2005

ok....sounds like i should stick to my b18c5 plan....i think i'd have more fun going all motor on that in the rex.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:53 PM   #6
sohc_vtec 2NR

either route that you choose....it won't be cheap... so make sure you dig up your piggy bank
Old 02-16-2004, 01:22 AM   #7
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

youre probably never going to see 11's in any honda within anywhere near a moderate budget

specifically not w/ a greddy kit on a b16...the turbo isnt large enough

I know of 1 crx that runs 11's on a c5...this one
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 01:26 AM   #8
AzCivic

that thing only runs 11'S?
Old 02-16-2004, 02:16 AM   #9
HondaGUY2005

If a b18c5 in a rex stock or close to stock runs a 13.2-13.5, then it must be easy to slap an intake headers and exhaust, a clutch, a flywheel, and some slicks on there and make it run 12's....

and plus, stage 3 cams are awesome, so there ya go :-D

i think that'd it'd be relatively easy and fun to do an all moto b18c5 in a rex, once you got the engine in.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:36 AM   #10
AzCivic

its gonna be easier to get a boosted engine into the 11's than a n/a one.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:27 PM   #11
HondaGUY2005

Mmm, but the sound of an all motor b18c5...yummy

yes, BOV's are great too, but my best friends got a talon TSi, so i think since i'm sporting honda, i'll sport what honda's all about, all motor. i think it'd be less stressfull too, cause your motor won't blow as easy without boost.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:06 PM   #12
cashizslick

Screw all motor, b00sT 0wn3z j00!
Old 02-16-2004, 01:35 PM   #13
HondaGUY2005

hehe, yea it does...but the sound of a honda engine never siezes (sp) to make me creme myself everytime i hear it, lol.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:42 AM   #14
Red Hot D16

I haven't read any of the replies, but a friend of mine has a boosted B16 in a 92 Hatch and ran 12.7 on street tires at 5.5psi....
Old 02-18-2004, 11:16 AM   #15
pdiggitydogg

vx hatch?
Old 02-18-2004, 11:37 AM   #16
Red Hot D16

Cx Hatch. Now he's got his setup in a 94 Si Hatch. And since he blew the B16 (used to spray the shit out of it), he's got an LS in there, which seems to be even more promising. And keep in mind, he's only at 6psi.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:09 PM   #17
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by HondaGUY2005
ok....sounds like i should stick to my b18c5 plan....i think i'd have more fun going all motor on that in the rex.

11's all motor in a CRX? Good luck. Hope u have alot of money. I have heard of people doing the LS VTEC, getting a DPR stage 6 port job, CTR cams, throttle body, manifold, I/H/E, cam gears, and other nice goodies only making 200 to 210 HP to the wheels and running 12.5's in a hatchback. Granted a CRX is lighter and the ITR has a good building block to start from. Definately going to have to look for somewhere about 300+ flywheel horespower on an all motor to get there.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:12 PM   #18
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Hot D16
I haven't read any of the replies, but a friend of mine has a boosted B16 in a 92 Hatch and ran 12.7 on street tires at 5.5psi....

street tires? WTF ever. Keep dreaming.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:14 PM   #19
Honda_Tengoku

your friend must have lied if he said he went that fast with that set up.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:36 PM   #20
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda_Tengoku
your friend must have lied if he said he went that fast with that set up.

Nope. I know this guy too. He is running 12's alright. But I think he was pushing 8 psi vice 5.5psi. To make it even more unbelievable, he is only using an FMU....no stand alone. It is possible.

This is my 2 psi on this subject:

As far as the P&P on boosted motors, I prefer rough edges on the intake side. This creates a more atomized fuel mixture which we all know is ideal for any type of internal combustion engines. I do recommend polishing the exhaust ports tho. This will allow smoother exhaust gas scape, thus causes faster spool time..... to some extent anyway.

The cheapest way to get to 11's on that light a** car is to get a b18a/b and boost. I'm sorry, I must say that B18c5 or any typeR engines are overrated. I have one. I even have the J-Spec B18C typeR. Shit is still not enough. That is why I'm boosting it. But think about it tho, boosting a typeR motor to get it to create more power is really pointless budget wise. If all you want is hit lower track time, then boost a cheap B18A/B or B20B/Z and tune that shit. I guarantee you that you will hit better numbers quicker on a boosted car......yes, a honda......... than an all motor honda. Let's face it. Hondas are not fast cars. It is dumb to think that Hondas are fast..... It's just that it can take some beating, revs high, and the aftermarket parts support is close to endless compared to other imports/compact cars out there.......

Again, this is just my opinion. Absorb it or not, that is up to you.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 09:10 PM   #21
sohc_vtec 2NR

^^ agreed, my civic is definitely slow... in NA trim that is
Old 02-20-2004, 09:43 PM   #22
cashizslick

ill agree
Old 02-21-2004, 02:42 AM   #23
HondaGUY2005

Quote:
Originally posted by thermalfi'd16
Nope. I know this guy too. He is running 12's alright. But I think he was pushing 8 psi vice 5.5psi. To make it even more unbelievable, he is only using an FMU....no stand alone. It is possible.

This is my 2 psi on this subject:

As far as the P&P on boosted motors, I prefer rough edges on the intake side. This creates a more atomized fuel mixture which we all know is ideal for any type of internal combustion engines. I do recommend polishing the exhaust ports tho. This will allow smoother exhaust gas scape, thus causes faster spool time..... to some extent anyway.

The cheapest way to get to 11's on that light a** car is to get a b18a/b and boost. I'm sorry, I must say that B18c5 or any typeR engines are overrated. I have one. I even have the J-Spec B18C typeR. Shit is still not enough. That is why I'm boosting it. But think about it tho, boosting a typeR motor to get it to create more power is really pointless budget wise. If all you want is hit lower track time, then boost a cheap B18A/B or B20B/Z and tune that shit. I guarantee you that you will hit better numbers quicker on a boosted car......yes, a honda......... than an all motor honda. Let's face it. Hondas are not fast cars. It is dumb to think that Hondas are fast..... It's just that it can take some beating, revs high, and the aftermarket parts support is close to endless compared to other imports/compact cars out there.......

Again, this is just my opinion. Absorb it or not, that is up to you.

So what would you do in a 1991 CRX si then buddy?

I mean, takeing into consideration legalness...
Old 02-21-2004, 07:03 AM   #24
Honda_Tengoku

well this guy with 8 pounds of boost on a B16 Civic hatchbach must have drag radials, or slicks on, and not to mention some secret internal modifications that no one knows about. That is too hard to belive since a stock B16a hatchback it is very hard to break 14's all stock. In a 5th gen hatch if he used the B16a2 SiRII 170HP JDM engine will barely break the 14's on Z rated tires. Depending on what B16 is used, u are looking at low 15's to high 14's all stock. This 12 second hatch with only 8 pounds its one of those things its hard to believe and I would have to see it.
As far as what u said (thermal man) about the B18a/b or B20 with boost. DEFINATELY! I think to get the CRX into the 11's this would be the best way. I would say the only real streetable all-motor setup in a CRX would be the H22. The problem is that the H22 in CRX is definately not even an engine even I would swap in (and I am doing the H22 in a Civic right now). WAY too much modification!! Not to mention I dont think u can get a CRX to even handle decently with this engine. Definatley not something I would try. It has been done obviously, but I wouldnt do it.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:05 AM   #25
Honda_Tengoku

BTW that brings me to another point? WHo has the fastest all motor car in this forum, and what did it take to run your ET?
Old 02-21-2004, 09:58 AM   #26
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

me 12.5secs for the 0-60 j/k all i car is handling and wrc

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 10:08 AM   #27
thermal
Banning Machine

This guy with a 12 sec HB is actually pretty cool. He is not my best friend or anything but I fuk with him all the time. His internals are completely stock. I'm not sure which gen B16A he "had". Anyway, it's all good tho..... I know what you mean by seeing it first.

What would I do on a 91 crix leagally?...... well nuthin. To make it fast on a cheap budget? B18A/B turbo of course....then LS/VTEC turbo...... IMO

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 02-21-2004, 10:20 AM   #28
cashizslick

Actually, butget power = B18B with nawz y0!
Old 02-21-2004, 12:08 PM   #29
HondaGUY2005

Quote:
This guy with a 12 sec HB is actually pretty cool. He is not my best friend or anything but I fuk with him all the time. His internals are completely stock. I'm not sure which gen B16A he "had". Anyway, it's all good tho..... I know what you mean by seeing it first.

What would I do on a 91 crix leagally?...... well nuthin. To make it fast on a cheap budget? B18A/B turbo of course....then LS/VTEC turbo...... IMO

so you wouldn't do a boosted b18c1? i guess the vtec would pointless if you had a substantial sized turbo, jsut get some turbo cams.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:26 PM   #30
pdiggitydogg

personally...i wouldnt want to mess with turbo-tuning that spike with vtec
Old 02-21-2004, 06:44 PM   #31
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by HondaGUY2005
so you wouldn't do a boosted b18c1? i guess the vtec would pointless if you had a substantial sized turbo, jsut get some turbo cams.

i agree. VTEC is not worth it on a boosted engine. Obviously VTEC was designed for NA. They definately dont mix very well. Just my two cents though.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:58 PM   #32
thermal
Banning Machine

VTEC+boost is not that bad. intake and exhaust lobes will help on a tuned set-up. If VTEC is pointless on turbo set-up, why is it that most top drag honda set-up use a GSR platform?........ It does help. Why advice is just to avoid peak boost and VTEC engagement at the same time. This creates boost/vtec overlap which confuses management unit (or the ECU with a piggy back).

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 02-22-2004, 12:20 AM   #33
Red Hot D16

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda_Tengoku
well this guy with 8 pounds of boost on a B16 Civic hatchbach must have drag radials, or slicks on, and not to mention some secret internal modifications that no one knows about. That is too hard to belive since a stock B16a hatchback it is very hard to break 14's all stock. In a 5th gen hatch if he used the B16a2 SiRII 170HP JDM engine will barely break the 14's on Z rated tires. Depending on what B16 is used, u are looking at low 15's to high 14's all stock. This 12 second hatch with only 8 pounds its one of those things its hard to believe and I would have to see it.
Quote:
Yea, he is really cool. Not one of my best friends, but a really good one. He had a USDM B16a2. Completely stock internals, with a Drag turbo kit. And tire-wise, the best tires he would've been on was Azenis.

There's no "Secret shit" or anything. Its really a 12 second 5th gen hatch, bone stock internals with Drag turbo kit. Although, I see where you're coing from with the "have to see to believe"...
Old 02-22-2004, 02:02 AM   #34
AzCivic

Quote:
VTEC+boost is not that bad. intake and exhaust lobes will help on a tuned set-up. If VTEC is pointless on turbo set-up, why is it that most top drag honda set-up use a GSR platform?........ It does help. Why advice is just to avoid peak boost and VTEC engagement at the same time. This creates boost/vtec overlap which confuses management unit (or the ECU with a piggy back).

don't most top honda dragsters eliminate the vtec due to that little pause in power while the cam profiles switch?
Old 02-22-2004, 03:21 AM   #35
Honda_Tengoku

I never said VTEC doesnt help on a boosted setup. I just dont think its worth it. Your right thermal, it can work correctly with proper tuning. But at what cost? VTEC engines, cams, and everything else is just too epensive! I would rather spend the money on upgrading internal parts and getting cams for the turbo setup on a non VTEC engine. For a street engine, I just personally think its not worth it.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:13 PM   #36
thermal
Banning Machine

no doubt..... I know what you mean. Stock Honda heads can take some massive power. Another local guy here has a 611 whp B16A2. Completely built bottom end, stock head. I dont know when his VTEC hits tho. I'll ask him later...

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 02-22-2004, 09:51 PM   #37
HondaGUY2005

But cantcha imagine the sound of a b18c5 with headers and exhaust and a cold air intake, biger TB and intake manifold at full throttle, vtec screaming...*cream* ohh yummy...i like that idea.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:32 AM   #38
Honda_Tengoku

whatever floats your boat.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:38 AM   #39
cashizslick

Is vtec engaugement a problem when you are running less than 10psi? (assuming ur using a moderate sized turbo)
Old 02-23-2004, 04:41 PM   #40
HondaGUY2005

Hey cash....what does your car do in the 1/4? if you've run it...