.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2003, 01:59 PM   #1
sw442642

Air conditioning fades

I would like to ask for some help. I have a '93 Civic. The airconditioner is becoming a problem. What happens is that it works when I start driving but quickly fades. In about 5 minutes to 10 minutes, no cold air.

The dealer was supposed to check it but said it ran fine there. But this is a constant problem. Dealer said Freon looked good but there might be a bad switch.

I hate have a dealer repair shop to the replace everything game so I would like some ideas.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2003, 08:29 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

it sounds like the compressor clutch is the problem. it might start slipping afetr it gets hot, same as a regular clutch

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:12 AM   #3
tooslow91crx

compressor clutches don't really slip. they use a huge electromagnet and steel on steel clutch plates. the problem is centered around your evaporator. have you used the canned refrigerant to try to recharge it? if not, then don't try it. your evaporator is probably freezing up. when you turn the a/c off for a while, does it start working again?
Old 02-08-2003, 12:42 AM   #4
tooslow91crx

ask your honda dealership if your car used a TEV system or a CCOT system. if it uses a TEV system, there are two possiblities. one is that it's low on refrigerant. there will be a silver can somewhere in your engine bay, and there will be a small glass window on the top. run your a/c and look for bubbles in the sight glass. if you see bubbles, then it's low. you can buy recharge kits just about anywhere. if you don't see bubbles, then the screen on the TEV is probably partially blocked. you'll have to have it serviced by a shop with the right equipment. you could do it yourself, but it's dangerous, illegal, expensive and a big pain in the ass. my guess would be the colgged TEV. if it's a CCOT system, then there will still be a silver can in your engine bay, but it will be bigger, and have a two wire electrical connector instead of a sight glass. if that's what you have, then disconnect the connector, and there will be a small screw between the two terminals. turn it counterclockwise a little bit at a time untill the evaporator stops freezing. my 91 has a TEV system, but honda might have changed it when they changed body styles.