.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2003, 10:32 PM   #1
tooslow91crx

ghetto rebuild

i'm re-ringing my engine, and i came up with a question and some advice. first the advice, for anyone with an oil consumption problem, try the transmission fluid trick first, before you tear your engine apart to replace the rings. i was burning about a quart every 2 hours on the highway, and i figured they were completely shot. not so. the oil control rings were indeed gooed into the lands. i didn't try the atf trick first. i can't hurt to try. even with my 20% student discount on parts at honda, the rings were 96 dollars, plus the gaskets and other fun parts i need to put it back together. check crx.honda-perf.org for directions on the atf thing. now for my question. what sort of honing oil has anyone used to deglaze the cylinders? i can't seem to find anyone that can tell me what they've used and what works. i can't get it running again untill i get my head back anyways (long story), so it may be a while before i know if everything is working right. it's interestin to do major surgery like this in my friends one car garage with the tools and funds that automotive school kids can come up with. i'd appreciate any help from anyone who's done this before. thanks.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:03 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

so what was the atf trick ? is it when you run atf thru your engine to clean up the carbon deposits.

as for the honing i thing any hone will work just fine. i've heard somewhere that the angle of the scratches should be somewhere around 60 degrees

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 05:50 PM   #3
tooslow91crx

i talked to some intstructors at school today, and they said that they use wd-40 when they hone cylinders. the angle for the honing is between 40 and 60 degrees.

the atf trick is to fill the cylinders up to the spark plug holes with atf and let it sit for 24 hours, then blow out the atf and drive. then do an oil change. the atf breaks down the carbon stuck in the ring lands and allows the rings to float like they're supposed to. that's just a basic outline of how to do it. i read the whole procedure at http://crx.honda-perf.org/faq/data/5.html
Old 01-11-2003, 12:07 PM   #4
Greasemonkey75

I have always used wd 40 for honing.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:11 PM   #5
untainted

honing oil

you make yer own honing oil .. mystery oil, engine oil, lil kerosene,and its a red fluid by god i forgot what it is .. but when i did my friends camaro we used a mixture like that and if the honer is tight on the cylinder dont leave it in to long u can make it much wider...
Old 01-21-2003, 10:01 PM   #6
tooslow91crx

she's alive and running. i used some cheap wannabe wd-40 from autozone. it hasn't burned a drop of oil since i got it restarted, and everything seems to be working well. shifting at 3000 rpm sucks. oh well, only 300 miles to go...