User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2005, 12:22 AM   #1
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

EK Sidemarkers

[As requested]

This is a rather simple install, that takes a lot more time than you would expect it to.

Requited Items:
Drill and Various Drill bits
Sheet Metal Nibblers (Get them at Radio Shack! Theyre CHEAP)
Painters Tape
Level (recommended if you're removing the fenders and have a way to steady it all, based on the trim being set at 180*)
A Good ruler or tape measure (I used a machine ruler)
Pencil
EDM or JDM Sidemarkers (duh)
14ga wire
Female clip connectors
Electrical tape
Solder and gun (optional - you can use quick connects for splicing)
(2) 168 or 194 bulbs
(2) Sockets (The same ones as used in Prelude CityLights or the lights above the rear license plate)
Correct color touch-up paint
Rubbing Alcohol (for cuts you may get, cleaing, and paint prep)

------------------------------------------------------------------

(I found it easier to remove the fenders from the car - you don't have to do the same, but it is a lot easier IMO.)

1) Ok, first thing you'll need is this template:

I originally found it at www.jdmcivic.com Since then, it has spawned its own life on just about every site on the planet w/ this how-to.
Some people find it easier to resize this template to the correct dimensions - but since I am unsure of how to do that...I just covered my fender in the painter's tape and redrew it, in place.

2) This is where the sidemarkers go:

You can see that the center of the marker is inline w/ the front of the fender and even w/ the highest point in the arch of the fender well.

3) Set your painter's tape on the fender all along the area that you will be cutting w/ the nibblers. The tape will help hold the paint in place, preventing it from flaking off.

4) Drill a small hole within the template so you can get your nibblers cutter inside.

5) Start nibbling. It will take a LONG time and it's a giant pain in the ass. I HIGHLY recommend you use the nibblers over just a cutting wheel. I also suggest that you make your initial outline cuts just below your template lines. Remember, youre always capable of taking more off, but you cannot put metal back (well, not w/o a lot of work.

6) Got your hole cut? Now you're going to have to play w/ your marker so it actually fits. I dont care what anyone says, these templates are NOT perfect. My holes are ULGY as hell, in comparison, but my markers fit just fine and once theyre in place no one will see your shitty cuts anyways.

7) When youre all done fine-tuning, peel the tape off, pulling off moving toward the hole at all times. Clean the area w/ alcohol and use the touch-up paint to cover up any bare metal, to prevent rust. This, of course, means that you will not be putting in the markers until it dries.

8) Now, if you screwed up and made your holes too big...ts, youre stuck with it. Its hard to do that though, if you started out by cutting the hole small.
You can purchase rubber sheets at craft stores to make a custom grommet or you can try your luck w/ plumber's putty or even some sort of moldable sealer (window weld if youre good w/ it). I didn't use any of this stuff...

When you're ready to wire your markers, you will need to make a decision on how you want them to work. On all the time w/ headlights or corner lights AND blink (Which is the WRONG WAY) or have them only blink w/ the signals (Which is the RIGHT WAY). I'm not even going to tell you how to do it the wrong way... The right way is as follows:

1) Run your wires (2 per side) along the inside of the frame (there is a hole) from the area that the marker is, to the harness that connects to the parking lights.

2) Attach 1 female clip/spade connector onto the marker end of each wire, for the socket.
(Only do this if you arent lucky enough to find a real honda harness...which you wont)
It doesnt matter which spade goes to the ground and which goes to the signal wire - its a bulb, it doesnt care.

3) Now, at the splicing side of the 2 wires (1 per side), one is a ground (of course) so you can either attach it to a bolt or splice it into the black wire on the parking light.
The other wire you will be splicing into the signal wire (the green one).
Tape everything up, nice and tight.

Thats it. Nothing to it.
When youre finished it will look like this:

The absolute hardest part about this whole thing, is making sure that you get it even w/ the side trim molding - which is why I removed the fenders so they would be flat (on the car, its not level).
Something that I cannot stress enough on this project: TAKE YOUR TIME!
Rushing will only make you screw up and end up with uneven markers. The only way to fix a mistake, if you make a bad enough one, is to purchase new fenders. (There did I scare you out of doing it?)

Last edited by pdiggitydogg : 05-16-2005 at 01:51 PM.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote