::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Step By Step
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2003, 01:06 PM   #1
Zanza

Arrow Short Shifter Install: 6th Gen Civic

Difficulty: very easy, only kinda ackward if you don't have the right equipment to make things easier on yourself.

Disclaimer:
This is for informational purposes only, not for instruction in the school of short shifters. I'm not responsible for one making a mistake in putting the things back, the car falling on you, your relationship failing you because of your obsession with your car. These instructions are pretty long winded, with advice that help make the process a little more streamlined. If you don't need all that commentary scroll to the bottom where I made a "Short Shifter: For Non Dummies"

Materials needed:
-Short Shifter, which ever you want. Just make sure its not too cheap. As long as you don't shift like a fiend they should work fine.
-Washers, it'll come with the short shifter.
-New bushings, I mean while your down there you might as well.
-Two sizes of wrenches 12-10. (for some reason my head of the nut said 10 but it was really a 12, go fig).
-Jack stands, wheel base, watever, just get the car up high.
-Ability to take dirt gettin into your eyes every 8 seconds.
-blocks
-A assistant to hand you crap while you under the car. If you car is lowered your going to be inside a very tight situation, and this will speed things up. Preferable make sure its a good looking girl.
-Lots of Root Beer, the kind that comes in a glass bottle.

-Step 1: Take your shift apart from the inside. Remove the case, the boot, and the rubber piece at the base of the shifter. BTW it'll be helpful if you take the knob off first . Basically get your shifter naked. Take a sip of your beer.

-Step 2: start off by putting your car on the stands, tires on stands whatever floats your boat. Then place blocks behind your back tires, obviously your parking brake will be set. But when you under you car you'll feel a lot better knowing that you took every step you could to prevent you possible death. And trust me if your car is lowered, if your car falls..your dead.

-Step 3: don't bother using the good ole slidding board to get under you car. I assume of your cars are lowered thus it'll take up valuable room. Take a another sip of your beer and tough it out. Do it navy seal back crawl under the car with your tools. Boom you see the exhuast pipe, and just about right above that is the shifter plate. First take off the lock nut this is either a 10-12 mine was a 12. But then again my is weird. The bushings are on the old shifter btw. Now move the driveshaft out of the way and get to the two nuts holding the plate on thats keeping your old shifter in place. While doing this, it would be nice to have your lovely assistant go inside the car and hold the heads with vice grips (mine were some sort of caps at the top). This obviously prevents freespin, and makes taking the bolts out pretty fast.

-Step 4: if it all possible have your assistant pour root beer thru the hole into your mouth. Anyways have them place the short shifter in where the old one was. They'll side the bolts back in, you'll tighten the nuts with the plate in between. Don't forget about those lover new washers.

-Step 5: this is the annoying part. The bushings. You'll notice that putting them back isn't the most fun in the world. What you do is place the bushings half way on both sides of the shifters end, then slide the drive shaft on. I tried different methods, this is the easiest way I found. This was the only thing that a person could possible screw up is the frustration of the bushings acting up. Place lock nut thru the drive shaft and thru the shifter.BTW you will get dirt in your eyes.

-Step 6: now that everything under the car is back the way it was, slap the inside back together. Notice the difference the longer arm made on your shifting. Drive around, make sure you did everything right lol. If you screw up thats sad.

Hope that helped for the people worried about doing it. Don't forget to bring the Root Beer, thats the most difficult part.

Streamlined version:
pre--take off assembly in car, make shifter baren.
1. jack up car
2. take off lock nut
3. take off 2 nuts holding plate
4. slide shifter out.
5. replace with new shifter, replace plate with new washers that came with shifter.
6. reinstall driveshaft with bushings.
7. place lock nut.
8. reinstall assembly in car.