User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 03:20 PM   #1
thermal
Banning Machine

Turbo timer and car alarm

(contributed by: allouthybrid via Xbird)

how to wire a greddy turbo timer with an alarm (again)
i completed this install last week and would like to help others who have pondered over this as well.

required tools/parts:

1. soldering iron
2. solder
3. wire stripper/crimper
4. five point relay (could be purchased at radio shack or other electronic stores)
5. butt connectors
6. wire tapper (taps into wire without splicing it)
7. 16 gauge wire
8. phillips and flathead screwdriver

optional accessories:

1. wire harness for five point relay
2. wire loom for that "so fresh and so clean" look

first off, i'll cover the basic wiring of the turbo timer. NOTE: this wiring is for a fifth gen civic and third gen integra. i'm not sure about other hondas or other vehicles.

-red on timer to solid white wire on ignition
-blue on timer to solid yellow wire on ignition
-green on timer to black/yellow wire on ignition
-black on timer to ground

optional:

-brown wire to wire(s) on e-brake. this safety feature cuts off the turbo timer if the e-brake is released for any reason during the countdown. if you have one wire this wire should more than likely work. if you have two wires, obtain a voltmeter and test each wire to see which wire gives off 0 volts when e- brake is engaged and 12 volts when the e-brake is disengaged. if that wire does what is described, that is the where the brown wire will be hooked up to.

ok, this second part covers the functioning of the alarm during countdown.

the operation of the alarm is possible through a five point relay. it is a relay with the points 30, 87a, 87, 86 and 85. "85 and 86 are the wires to the magnetic coil in the relay (used to activate it). therefore i wired 85 to the constant +12v (off my akarm wiring) (yellow wire on alpine alarm), and i wired 86 to the gray wire from the turbo timer. therefore while the turbo timer is counting down, the relay will be active.

"points 30 and 87a are normally closed on the relay. therefore, i cut the ignition wire for my alarm (red wire on an alpine alarm) and spliced points 30 and 87a in between." in other words, cut the ignition wire to the alarm, and connect point 30 to one side and 87a to the other side. don't connect the ignition wire back together with points 30 and 87a connected. i made this mistake at first and the relay didn't function correctly.

87 is open and not connected to anything at all.

during the count down, the ignition signal is interrupted and the alarm should be able to arm and keep the doors locked.

NOTE: for the alarm with the ignition safety feature, this feature will be disengaged during the countdown but will be re-engaged after the countdown. what i'm referring to is, usually if a key or other object is stuck in the ignition keyhole to start up the car when the alarm is armed, the alarm would go off. but with this install this feature is disengaged while during the countdown and will function normally after the countdown, as stated above.

I have another one that is a bit different than this one... but i know nothing about relay, i am not sure which one is right :P

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Closed Thread