.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

vista.. help

so i got a new laptop and whadaya know its got vista. seems like the mac os, yet slower? any tips to improve performace or tricks anyone knows about it. also since i have a valid version of vista can i install my old copy of xp home and use this code for it since its newer? and is vista actualy any better or worse. ive been f-ing with it for about an hour now so im not at all experienced with it but i cant get some exe files( iTunes most importantly) to install, or even run.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

as far as security goes vista is better, but it still has some compatibilities issues with older programs. There is a lot of junk running in vista. i know when i had the trial version i disabled the security center, the firewall, and some crap i never used, but i never managed to get it to run as good as XP. I think that if you right click on properties on the exe file you can chose to run the program in comaptibilty mode for XP. So far xp is the best of MS, and i am sure vista will become once service pack 1 comes out.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

yeah the more i play with it the more i like it. i figured out the run as admin thing also the user control bullshit that was making me, the only person who uses it, have to confirm every action with admin privlages. also before it was doing a complete system scan with the virus protection thing they included and downloading about 100mb of updates so that was hogging alot of resources. the more i play with it the more im starting to like it. i just godda get alot of the manufactures crap off still. but since its faster than my desktop and has more hd/ram space its really not being hindered at this time wih the little extra BS they included.

also, semi side question since i know nothing about AMD shit, hows their turion processors? similar to the intel laptop ones? im guessing its a laptop version of their processor. its a turion 64 x2 1.6ghz duel.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:10 PM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i did not read too much on turion, but they seem to be a centrino equivalent.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:45 PM   #5
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

thats what i figured. i guess i'll take alook around online and see what problems if any people have with em. i picked up a cooling pad thing today that didnt even know exsisted until i was wandering in best buy today. its a usb powered thing that the laptop sits ontop of and has a couple fans to help suck warm air out from the exaust things on the bottom. im sure laptop owners already know about these, but i godda say its a f-ing cool idea since the bitch does get warm if im watching a dvd or something to that extent

Old 01-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

http://www.tweakvista.com/

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

Try those sites..