.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2006, 01:15 AM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Setting up a wireless network

Alright kids...I need a little help here. When I move back home I'll be using the same internet connection as my mom's computer and I've never set up a wireless network before. I imagine the guy from Time Warner will drop off the router and leave, so I need a little know-how (especially on securing a wireless network) before all of this happens. Any tips/tricks/websites with good info?
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
Robert
R-Tard

YOu'll be plugging one computer right into the wireless router to set up the wireless name and/or your 128 WEP password.

The rest is dead easy on win xp.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:38 PM   #3
MissJDM

Steven, do you want my help?

you say it best when you say nothing at all
MissJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:04 AM   #4
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJDM
Steven, do you want my help?

Hrmmm...maybe if you ever ASNWERED YOUR PHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 05-05-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
MissJDM

I'm sorry I never responded. I've been switching out phones like none other and the last few, I never saved my contacts to my SIM card. Needless to say, I didn't have anyone's number. Thanks for the thoughtful (dorky) message. I'll copy my ish over today and I'll text ya (cuz i just know how much you love 'em.) So, yes, I am alive!!!

you say it best when you say nothing at all
MissJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
dabouncerx24

Modem cable does in router, router cable goes in PC, pop in software, follow instructions, make 128bit code, write it down somewhere.
dabouncerx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:45 AM   #7
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Ok...2 questions.

1. I know how I can see what network I'm on, but is there any way to see if anyone else is on my network? My network says it's unsecure and I'm not really sure how to go about fixing that. (If it matters, the router is a Linksys 2.4GHz model)

2. It seems like I'm having issues with bittorrent that weren't there before. I started downloading a file at around 250kbps and after about 10-15 minutes my comp just crashed and rebooted itself. It said something about a driver error. At first I thought it was something else, but after 3 or 4 crashes, I figure it had to be the bittorrent. I didn't have this issue when downloading at a slower speed. Even though my router says it's capable of doing 54mbps on my end, is it possible it just gets overloaded and gives up at the given speed?

Old 05-26-2006, 11:19 AM   #8
Robert
R-Tard

1. Click view wireless netowrks, it will show you everything in range. You can make yours secure through wireless settings on your router, and I would encourage you to that ASAP.

2. Sounds like a driver conflict, try updateing the wireless drive with teh latest from linksys website. Otherwise 250k/s is nothing and should be no problem.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:50 PM   #9
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Hrmmmm...fuck. Ok...checked the model number of the router. It's a Linksys WRT54G V5. I went to their website and I can download firmware, but no drivers. I'm wondering if I should just pop the installation CD in and overwrite the stuff that's on my comp now.

If it's at all important, the error message I'm getting on the blue screen of death (first time I've ever gotten that with XP) is "Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal"

*EDIT*
---------------

Ok...I think I fixed it. I went into the system tray and used the device manager, popped the installation CD in and hit "update drivers". It's been a few hours so I'm hopeful. W00t.

Last edited by GT40FIED : 05-26-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:04 AM   #10
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Ok...I swear this will be the last of it (unless I fuck something up). Just a few quick ones.

1. If my network is already setup and I do all this stuff through the setup wizard, will I need to set up EVERYTHING all over again or will it just change the stuff I want it to change?

2. I assume I'll have to make security changes from the wired computer. Do I just have to copy everything down and put it on the wireless computer?

3. Since my router accepts WPA I figure I'll just set up the 32 digit WPA key by typing randomly. Is it better for me to do it manually or let windows do it automatically?

Old 05-30-2006, 01:49 PM   #11
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

You won't find drivers for a router, only firmware. The "Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal" is driver related. The only way to know for sure what driver is causing the issue is to debug a memory dump from windows. That takes some time & skill.

Setup WEP (at least 64bit). Yes you will want to do this with a computer hooked up via cable.

http://www.andrewscompanies.com/tools/wep.asp

That site will generate a key for you.