Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Step By Step
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 08:29 PM   #1
grumblemarc

How to paint interior trim pieces.

You will need adequate amounts of spray paint in the color you require and a can or two of clear if you wish. 3-4 cans of red gloss Krylon was more than enough to paint all the interior plastic trim pieces on my 92 Prelude. Take extreme care when removing any of the pieces. I had someone try to help and she snapped one of the pieces in half. Luckily I was able to epoxy it back together, sand off the excess epoxy, and paint over it. You cant even tell which was the piece that got broken once I painted it. It looks so good that people thought I either had it professionally done or that it was some kind of kit that I purchased.

PREPARATION: After removing all trim pieces they will ALL need to be thoroughly washed free of any contaminants such as dirt and Armorall to insure the paint will adhere properly. YOU WILL NOT NEED TO USE *ANY* PRIMER!!! TRUST ME! After washing the trim let the pieces air dry. You DO NOT need to sandpaper the pieces to try to help in preparing the sirfaces for the paint but it wouldnt hurt either. Use a fine grit if you want to go the sandpaper route. I didn't need to use any on my first painting.

PAINTING: Unless you have access to a garage or a location with adequate ventilation I suggest doing this outside. You will be tempted to rush the process when it appears that the paint is taking faster than you expected. DO NOT RUSH THROUGH THE PROCESS!!

Using long even strokes while holding the can no closer than a foot from the trim pieces, lay down a quick coat of paint. DO NOT try to completely cover the trim peices with the paint at this time as it will either run, bubble, or wrinkle as it dries. Let sit for 10 minutes or more to allow the paint to become tacky or dry. The longer you wait in between coats the better. What you are looking for at first is for the paint to look very grainy as you apply each coat. It will take you approximately 2-3 hours to completely cover the trim if you do this right. Toward the end of the painting process you will start to see the paint finish start to become smooth and glossy. This is the point many people get excited and try to rush. DON'T!!! If you spray too much at this point the paint may pool in some spots. If it does this and starts to dry it will begin to wrinkle and look pretty bad. Keep applying coats of paint being careful to allow at least 10 minutes in between before the next. By the time you are finished your trim pieces will be highly smooth and glossy. Once you are satisfied you can then apply a couple of coats of clear to help resist chipping and scratches. However if you apply enough coats of the colored paint you wont need it. TRUST ME!

INSTALLATION: Allow the trim pieces to dry at least 24 hours BEFORE attempting to remount them In colder weather you may need longer. If you try to handle them before this they will NOT have had enough time to sufficiently harden and when you have to push the trim pieces back into place you will have fingerprints embedded in the paint for posterity. I myself have let my painted trim pieces dry over the course of a weekend before I even layed a hand on them. Once in the car the paint cured to a very hard finish as the interior was heated up in the sunlight. I am as of this posting repainting a couple of pieces that I chipped up while vinylizing my door panels and rear deck so I dont know how long it may take in this cold weather.

MAINTENANCE: Once installed you will have to put up with your car smelling like paint for at least 2 weeks. You can apply any type of Armorall or any thing of that nature to keep your newly painted interior in tip top shape without fear of your brand of protectant fouling them up. IF you find that you need to repaint any of your trim pieces I suggest stripping off the original paint BEFORE attempting a repaint. I tried this and the paint WOULD NOT stick. It wrinkled as it dried and peeled right off with NO effort.

ADVICE: TAKE YOUR TIME!

Any questions please feel free to email me. Good luck!!!

Old 11-23-2001, 07:16 AM   #2
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

What did you use to clean the pieces with before you painted them? You should probably use something kinda strong because some of those interior cleaners will seep into the plastic and become very hard to get out.

When I painted the interior pieces in my truck I had I didnt clean them but I sanded the crap out of them. To my surprise I didnt have any problems with pealing or anything.

Good article.::
Old 11-23-2001, 03:46 PM   #3
grumblemarc

I cleaned them with plain old dishwashing liquid and warm water. I figured I didnt want to use anything indistrial strength on the chance that it would eat up the plastic.

Old 11-25-2001, 12:09 AM   #4
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

probably good thinking.. Regualar Rubbing alcohol works well also.
Old 11-29-2001, 02:34 PM   #5
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

That's a friggen great article.
Thank you very much. Now if my printer didn't crap out on me I would print it off. Can you make this a sticky till I find a printer?

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
Old 11-29-2001, 08:46 PM   #6
grumblemarc

wuzza sticky?

Old 11-29-2001, 09:21 PM   #7
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally posted by grumblemarc
wuzza sticky?
it's a thread that stays on the forum board all the time so new people can alwasy read it.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
Old 11-30-2001, 07:07 AM   #8
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Yeah, it keeps it on top of the list so it doesnt get lost or expired so people can find it easily..

Hey Thermal... Can you sticky this one?
Old 12-06-2001, 06:46 PM   #9
grumblemarc

PLEASE????! I never had anything "STICKY'D" before.

Old 12-11-2001, 08:54 AM   #10
thermal
Banning Machine

it's now on "sticky"....sorry it took so long.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Closed Thread