::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2003, 10:49 AM   #1
Wallythecat

Diagnostic Mode & Erratic Idle

I finally got my timing gun and played around with it for a little while last weekend. I flipped through both my Haynes manual as well as my Chiltons and came across a problem for setting the ECU to diagnostic mode.

In both manuals, they say you need to jump the service check connector that's located near the ECU, behind the passenger side kick panel (quote: "connect a jumper wire between the Brown and Green/White terminals of the connector").

When I looked, there's nothing that remotely resembles what they describe either in print or in the diagrams. There's two extra wires with connectors on them (that don't connect to anything) and then there are two wiring harnesses... One's white and the other is brown. The brown one has a 2 prong connector and I'm assuming that this is the one I need to jump... Just wanted to check with everyone here to see if I'm on the right track. Any ideas?

I'm also having some problems with the idle acting erratically. The RPMs were down to about 100-150 for awhile. I tried turning the idle up a bit to get it to the suggested 750. It was working ok in the garage at a standstill, but when I took it out for a test drive, it now hangs at around 1,100 and then drops to 800, back to 1,100, down to 800 etc... Like's it just gagging on something.

Also, sometimes the speedomoter drops to zero and then goes back to the normal speed. This doesn't happen often, but I'm guessing that this is related to the idle. I've checked around the net and am coming up empty handed. Thought someone else might have run into something similar. I keep thinking that I have a lot of mods, but I haven't done a single thing for fuel delivery...

Thanks!
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring.jpg (27.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 06-03-2003, 11:06 AM   #2
pimpinprelude

"I'm also having some problems with the idle acting erratically." it could be a vacume leake.. check ur pcv valve make sure that is not disconected or something..
pimpinprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 11:09 AM   #3
Wallythecat

It's funny you should say that because I just replaced it...

I'm at work now, but checking vaccuum lines is on my list of to-do's. I also put my header heat shield back on a few days ago and had to disconnect the O2 sensor to get it back on, so I might've put that back on wrong...
Old 06-03-2003, 02:33 PM   #4
AzCivic

jump the one with 2 wires that doesnt connect to anything(the far left one in the pic). some say just let the car fully warm up then you dont need to jump anything.

if the idle problem started after you replaced the pcv then I'd start there for an answer to your problem.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 08:17 PM   #5
94 civic jdmD15b

It also could be your IAC valve. Located on the back left of your intake man.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:29 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well he said that he played with the idle adjuster screw and the car will do that if the idle is set too high. i wouldn't worry about vaccum leaks. just set the idle back to where it was and then get a good tune up. i'm pretty sure the idle drop comes from the cheap ass honda ditributor rotor and cap

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 09:36 AM   #7
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by pimpinprelude
it could be a vacume leake..

believe it or not i agree with you.. i think you are dead on..