::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2001, 10:47 AM   #1
BrandonClaps

Finding Headunit Wires

If a mod can sticky this, i think it would be good, if you think so of course ;D

I know all the newer cars have wiring harness so you don't have to tap wires, but incase you've got a car that they don't make a wiring harness for, i made this little write up for you guys.

- You will need a DMM. When testing any of the wires below hold the black lead of the DMM to ground (make sure it's a good ground, bare metal), unless otherwise said and the red lead to the wires.

- To test these wires, the factory wiring harness has to be connected to the headunit and the headunit on.

- The colors that i list, are the colors that you will see coming off the aftermarket headunit wiring harness.

- Set the dial on the DMM to 20 DCV, that means it will read anything up to 20V. If you have autoranging turn that on and use DC voltage.

Constant - Yellow - 1 wire will read 12v all the time

12v - Red - Shows 12v only when car is on

Illumination - Orange - Shows 12v when parking lights are turned on.

Ground - Black - On your DMM change the dial to cotinuity. Most DMM's will make a tone when two grounds are touched..

Remote - Blue - Might not have one, but usually shows less then 12v. If you get confused between the 12v wire and this one, turn off the radio, this wire should read 0 volts when you do that

Left Front, Left Rear, Right Front, Right Rear - White/Green/Purple/Grey 2 of each 1 has black stripe - These voltages will flucuate, use your fade and balance to move the sound to one speaker and test the wires ;D

-Brandon
Old 12-30-2001, 03:48 PM   #2
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Nice Brandon!

Stickied!
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 10:03 AM   #3
BrandonClaps

woohoo! :P
Old 05-01-2002, 10:26 PM   #4
Mr Audio

when i installed my head unit i had trouble finding what wires did what and they were all shreded and messed and I needed a wire chart...little did I know the stock tape deck had a sticker on the top with all the right hook ups...so if you got a stock tape deck in an early model honda, chances are the chart will be on your tape deck