::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Wheels, Tires, Suspension, and Brakes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2002, 02:55 AM   #1
GhettoCivicEx

help w/ coilovers......etc.

i have a 2000 civic ex.....right now i have stock wheels and tires....but im getting 17" wheels soon........ and ill probally have to lower it a bit so that there is not a gap .......someone recommended skunk 2 coilovers......... what do you think? or what would you recommend
Old 07-16-2002, 09:10 AM   #2
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

If you seriously want Coilover sleeves look at Ground Control, they are the best IMO.

What type of driving will you be doing? Autocross? Just street? That really helps a lot when your trying to decide on what suspension to run.

I personally would just do a spring/shock combo, they usually tend to offer the best ride quality. If you are going to be doing some racing, then look into true coilovers. They will cost you alittle more, but these days not much, and they will ride much better then sleeves do.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:25 AM   #3
spoogenet

True coilovers aren't really much more expensive as compared with a good spring/shock combo. To get the Tein SS coilovers for the 6th gen Accord, I know I can get them for a little over $900. Getting Eibach Pro-kits and some good shocks will cost over $800.

And RR makes very good points.

b
Old 07-16-2002, 02:17 PM   #4
GhettoCivicEx

im not going to be racing at all. just making my car look good. maybe someday when i i put in a manual tranny ill do all that. but for now its an everyday car....... but im still putting in intake, exhaust, headers, etc. ..............so for everyday use would skunk 2 be a viable option? let me know what ya think
Old 07-17-2002, 09:14 AM   #5
spoogenet

For everyday use with a little recreational driving on the weekends, I'd probably recommend just getting some Pro-kits, or Sportlines if you want to go even lower. The Pro-kits usually drop you about 1.5" after settling, and the Sportlines are something like 1.8-2.0" or so. They'll give you better ride quality which is significant for a daily driver.

To increase your handling performance a little more I'd also say get some decent shocks to go with them. For the Pro-kits you don't need new shocks, but getting the right shocks will increase your performance.

For a daily driver, the only reason I'd recommend coilovers or sleeves would be if you really need adjustable ride height....but keep in mind that you may not be able to run factory ride height. For example, the Tein SS coilovers for the 6th gen sedan have a minimum lowering of 1.5" in the rear and 1.3" in the front.

b
Old 07-17-2002, 09:21 AM   #6
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Im going to agree with spoogenet..

I would just go with a something like a Pro-kit spring, itll give you the best ride quality. If you dont care about ride quality and you just want to be able to raise the car up and down so itll look cool. Then the Skunk2s will work just fine for you. Id save the moeny and get some shocks to with those coilovers, because chances are youll be setting it pretty low at times, and your stock shocks will bottom out and be ruined, or youll be riding on bumpstops which will make for very poor performance and ride quality.

An adjustable camber kit will be worth looking into also..
Old 07-19-2002, 04:26 AM   #7
GhettoCivicEx

how much does all that cost?
Old 07-19-2002, 07:05 AM   #8
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

check www.groupbuycenter.com you can find some good deals there.