Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2004, 08:50 PM   #1
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Block Posting

So Ive read all threads on h-t and visited homemadeturbo and sonny's crx page for info on block posting.
Seems like a good cheap alternative to resleeving.

My question is does anyone actually KNOW someone who's done it, and have you actually seen it?
How well does it actually work in the long run?
Does cause stress points that cause sleeves to crack at the post point at high enough pressures?

Any other info would be appreciated
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:03 AM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

I wish I could say I have. I've thought about doing that back in my D16 turbo days since I had a couple of extra D15 and D16 blocks. One of these days I will still attempt it tho if any of my buddy's ever considers doing it.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 10:51 AM   #3
pdiggitydogg

Think it would it make any difference to post and install (machine) a block guard along w/ the posts?
Im just looking to an alternative to resleeving as it would cost as much or more than the engine itself...and that seems stupid to me.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:01 PM   #4
JDMFantasy2k

do you have the links where you read the stuff cause i'm curious as to wtf you guys are talking about. I'm assuming this process is used to reinforce the cylinder walls so you can run a higher compression (ie: pistons, or boost) ?
Old 06-05-2004, 12:48 PM   #5
pdiggitydogg

http://www.muller.net/sonny/crx/engine/posted.html
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/tech_pr...ing/index.html
Old 06-11-2004, 10:39 PM   #6
thermal
Banning Machine

I think that it will surely make a big difference. The key is not so much of higher compression, but a combination of both compression and boost level. My buddy has a sleeved LSVTEC set-up (366 whp @ 14 psi) but he fucked up by slapping too low of a compression pistons. Our calculation is yielding him mid-to high 8:1 compression. His car sux on the low end until the SC61 turbo spools up. My set-up (11:1 compression @ 9 psi T3T04e 57t .63 A/R) feels so much stronger on the low end of the RPM band. I think a 9.5-10.0 compression is a great combo on the streets paired with an SC-61 turbo on 10-14 psi tuned.....

Pdiggs... I thought about that idea before myself, about block posting and block guard, since block guards tend to sink in time. There are also problems with heat spots on block guards but I heard that the Golden Eagle version is much more efficient and less risky. Overall, I belive that it is not that bad of an idea to block post and block guard since block guards support mostly at the top of the cylinder anyway. The block post will strengthen and even out the rest of any possible tension and movement below the area of the block guard. I have also heard of people getting the block guard itself welded on the block. I'm not sure how effective that would be and how it's done.

So what's the plan pdiggs?

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-12-2004, 06:49 PM   #7
pdiggitydogg

Thats pretty much what I'd thought about. I would go w/ a machined-in type block guard if I went this route...since I dont think that engine parts should be "hammered in".

Im just tossing around ideas right now. Looking for a cheap effective alternative to balls-out sleeving, which costs too much for my needs/wants. Plus I dont think that Id even need it. I dont race so I doubt the psi would go over 10-12lbs and I'd stick w/ a turbo for spooling around 3-3.5k rpm. (Any suggest on turbo size for that?)
Im still planning ls-t w/ a gsr tranny (modded w/ an ls 5th set), by the way
Old 06-15-2004, 07:37 PM   #8
thermal
Banning Machine

He he he... trust me brotha. You may say that 10-12 psi is good for now, but you will get used to that power so quick just like I'm already used to 300 whp on my Teg after 2 weeks. I decided not to drive it often and stick with my boosted civic so the Teg will feel fast and powerful each time I hit it... he he.

Anyway, for your 10-12 psi SOHC set-up, I say a T3 super 60 or T28 will yield the best option. My friend had a DelSol custom T3 super 60 set-up at 8 psi and almost whooped my ass on a race. I think he would've on the highway tho. That shit feels great! TD05h-14b can also give you what you want..... Goodluck man. Keep me posted....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-15-2004, 08:36 PM   #9
pdiggitydogg

nonono
the y8 is out as soon as my life picks up again (end of the summer....hopefully)
Quote:
Im still planning ls-t w/ a gsr tranny (modded w/ an ls 5th set), by the way
Turbo b18b is what I really want.
I was thinkin t28
Old 06-15-2004, 10:29 PM   #10
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
..Turbo b18b is what I really want.
I was thinkin t28

What A/R T28? It will be too small man. At least a 48 trim 57 A/R for quick spool. My 57t 63 A/R is still kind of small to be honest... and that wayyy bigger than any T28. I want either a T3/60-1 or SC61 now...

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-16-2004, 02:23 AM   #11
Sivik

sc61... thats what im getting...

My Car

My Car is for sale
Sivik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 02:32 PM   #12
pdiggitydogg

hmm...I guess I should pop open Maximum Boost and do some reading about sizes again
Ok...
Old 06-16-2004, 08:34 PM   #13
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by Sivik
sc61... thats what im getting...

The difference is day and night on these SC61 fockers from a T3T04e 57t .63 A/R. My friend was pushing 12 psi on a T3T04e and now he is pushing 8 psi on an SC61 but still feels wayyyyy stronger...... I'm already looking at an upgrade, but my new motor has to come first..... my get rid of this fucking grind on my third gear

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-17-2004, 09:08 AM   #14
pdiggitydogg

is it just the sychros that are going bad? thats pretty cheap to do if you buy the sychros yourself and then just pay for labor to have em swapped
Old 06-19-2004, 01:56 AM   #15
thermal
Banning Machine

It might be my synchro or clutch since it does act sometimes too on first gear. I just installed my Omni-Power USA suspension. It's almost 2:30 AM when I quit, so I will have to tune it tomorrow and take pictures.

I'm also thinking about block posting my D16 series now...... your fault Pdiggs!!! You made me think about this shit again... ha ha. My civic is acting up and overheating pretty bad. I'm gonna change the water pump since I've done everything I can from the outside to get my cooling improved. It is also starting to feel slow but this might be because it's so hot outside. I'm really undecided. I want to do a lot of stuff and block posting my Y8 is one of my choices...... we'll see.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-20-2004, 11:21 AM   #16
pdiggitydogg

lol sorry bro
Well if anything you can do it and then tell me your impressions

If the new water pump doesnt help, I have a spal fan sitting in my garage (cant remember if its 7 or 10, push or pull) but if you wanted to try dual fans (front&rear) I could ship it down for probably pretty cheap