::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2004, 04:15 PM   #1
f22b1

thermal dp question

i just wanted to know why my car smokes a little without a dp connected. i was reading the turbo teg project you have going and you said you ran the car without having a dp. was your car hesitating at all or have a little bit of smoke come out of the turbine? do you think the smoke could be caused by the o2 sensor being left in the open since there is no dp? if so what should i do about o2 sensor? im about ready to have a custom 3 inch dp made from a local speed shop here. im new here and just wanted to know if you guys can help me out. thanks

97 honda accord coupe ex sohc vtec stock internals 145 hp
2nd gen drag turbo kit, except i have new turbo manifold by sfp
( fmu setup)
3 inch exhaust at least from the cat back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small car pic.jpg (178.1 KB, 61 views)
Old 05-06-2004, 04:17 PM   #2
f22b1

heres my car pic. just had her painted 3 months ago
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smaller car pic.jpg (98.1 KB, 61 views)
Old 05-06-2004, 07:05 PM   #3
thermal
Banning Machine

wow! nice set-up man! Hondaman-iac is gonna love your turbo F22.....

Anyway, how long have you had this turbo set-up? The reason I ask is because, you will initially smoke like that due to residual oily moisture that might be present from working on the turbo project. I did smoke a lot for a few days. The O2 sensor being unplugged does make the car run rich since the exhaust gas path is not acurately calculated by the ECU. You also need to check the oil drain hose. If the hose is pinched or somehow pinched, it will smoke a lot...... Goodluck man!

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 07:18 PM   #4
Mirkwo0dForest

DUDE!!!... yes the reason your car is stuttering is beacuse taking off the exhaust affects the timing.... belive me... i thought i was gonna hav to tear my distributor off and redo the brackets cuz it was off so bad when i had no exhaust and i didnt think that would matter... but i took it to the exhaust shop and the timing was near perfect when i got it back.. i asked them if they'd touched it but they said no, and that the exhasut system really does affect timing
Old 05-06-2004, 09:03 PM   #5
f22b1

thermal= ive had this set up for 3-4 years now. i dont want you think i havent done a major repair yet because yes i have. had to replace my piston rings already. replaced them with je rings, should have gotten total seal, but this is what raceeng gave me with my wiseco pistons. i didnt think this was a major thing thats why i said stock engine. i still havent replaced the rods yet though. i ran this setup for 2 years and it was fine until i discovered manual boost controller and i think i ran 15 lbs of boost trying to keep up with a wrx. he got me on first i took him on second and we were dead even on third.

anyways i like what you have going with the teg. i have been reading your post for awhile now, its helped me out a lot, thanks. congratulations on the 309, if i havent said it already, that is awesome you got it that high at only 9 lbs! still waiting on exhaust pics

mirk= i took her for a ride around the block and i dont know how
you drove yours to the shop without dp. my shop is half an hour away and im afraid to drive it that far with it stuttering and hesitating and smoking. will the car go 50-60 mph on the freeway, where i have to go to, without a dp?

oh yeah here is my newly rebuild turbo from majestic turbo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turbo pic.jpg (71.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 05-06-2004, 09:35 PM   #6
thermal
Banning Machine

Nice turbo man. What size is that? Dude.... time to get a "real" fuel management man. I know a local guy with a semi-build F22 turbo at 325 whp.... I cant remember how much boost. He is using AEM EMS......

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 05-06-2004, 09:58 PM   #7
f22b1

its a t3 t4 garrett i believe, i dont know all the numbers that go with it or the meaning like the 'ar' ratio and such but it has numbers imprinted on the turbo i just dont remember .63 or .5 i dont know. i know it s a turbonetics turbo , it came with the drag gen 2 kit,because its stamped. what type of turbo do you have on your teg? and what type of exhaust did you buy?

about the fuel management i shouldve just gotten a hondata like yours instead of buying this rebic iv i have. im still thinking of selling this rebic iv and trying the vafc hack you introduced me too. ive gone as far as buying 2 sets of dsm 450 injectors having one set cleaned and balanced. but i dont have the vafc yet.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:28 AM   #8
Mirkwo0dForest

oh dude i had a friend with a car trailer... the shop was 30 minutes away and there's no way she woulda made it there on her own
Old 05-07-2004, 05:29 AM   #9
Mirkwo0dForest

you a new member!! that's cool welcome, wut color is your paint? i saw a pic of your car u posted... very nice.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:28 AM   #10
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by f22b1
its a t3 t4 garrett i believe, i dont know all the numbers that go with it or the meaning like the 'ar' ratio and such but it has numbers imprinted on the turbo i just dont remember .63 or .5 i dont know. i know it s a turbonetics turbo , it came with the drag gen 2 kit,because its stamped. what type of turbo do you have on your teg? and what type of exhaust did you buy?

about the fuel management i shouldve just gotten a hondata like yours instead of buying this rebic iv i have. im still thinking of selling this rebic iv and trying the vafc hack you introduced me too. ive gone as far as buying 2 sets of dsm 450 injectors having one set cleaned and balanced. but i dont have the vafc yet.

My turbo is almost similar to yours but slightly bigger. I have a T3T04e 63 57t. I have a 2 1/2 inch to an immediate 3 inch DP going to a thermal 3" inch exhaust. I have no cat converter. I used a 3" flex pipe in plce of the cat. I say get Hondata since there are so many people who can tune it. The AFC "hack" is still not a true management, but will work. Just not as tunable

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum