::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2002, 08:51 PM   #1
King Shard

American vs. Imports

Alright my friend has a camaro and has been talkin non stop crap out his car being better than jap crap or any other imports. He spent bout 12,00 for his Z28 Camaro and my other friend spent a good 24,000 for his RSX and another grand hooking it up but yet they are equal when it comes down to racing...i cant shut him up and end his crapy arguement about why his american cars are better. Can anyone please tell me some reasons why Imports are better than american cars
Old 08-12-2002, 11:15 PM   #2
Wren57

Try handling, fuel economy, can park easier , most imports look better modded out (IMO), and uh... guess thats about all I can think of right now. Basically all the ricers use the "well I get better gas mileage and handle better" excuse, even if the venue is a drag race. Oh well, maybe this will help. Gluck, but z28s can be lethal... 383 stoker kit a procharger... mmmm 500+rwhp...
Old 08-12-2002, 11:20 PM   #3
ShEaNy

ummm think about it..ur domestics need this big V8 to push out all that horse.....meanwhile...Some inline 4's are pushing over 200 (s2000 = 240)..and there less weight then some camaros plus its just the way all the components are..i mean my car hasnt had anything replaced for years..i hear domestics breaking down all the time...i dont think my honda broke down for ten years...well when the other person had it..
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 12:42 AM   #4
toykilla

Quote:
Originally posted by sheany_91accord
ummm think about it..ur domestics need this big V8 to push out all that horse.....meanwhile...Some inline 4's are pushing over 200 (s2000 = 240)..and there less weight then some camaros plus its just the way all the components are..i mean my car hasnt had anything replaced for years..i hear domestics breaking down all the time...i dont think my honda broke down for ten years...well when the other person had it..

I guess he kinda got American rides with that S2000 crap but lets think about it. Youd have to be a complete fool to buy an s2000 when for just 8grand more you can have 200hp more with a Z06.
Maybe when price tags on imports go down they will be as good as american cars.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:55 AM   #5
mt.biker

Quote:
Originally posted by toykilla

I guess he kinda got American rides with that S2000 crap but lets think about it. Youd have to be a complete fool to buy an s2000 when for just 8grand more you can have 200hp more with a Z06.

its not all about the money, to some people taste is more important
Old 08-13-2002, 08:06 AM   #6
Mushroom

Better for what? If you have x dollars to spend to go fast in a straight line, then you buy a Camaro (oh, wait, buy a motorcycle). Big, fast engines are cheap; newer technology ain't. Camaros are notorious for handling like sh*t, have poor interior and exterior quality of materials and are heavy. If your friend blew 24k on an RSX to drag-race camaros, then he's dumb. Own an RSX and a Camaro for a few years, and see which is easier to maintain. Take each on a road trip, and see what's more comfy to drive. Then take them to a real track (ooh, with turns!) and see which is more fun. These are the situations in which I'd favor the RSX.

... which has nothing to do with domestic vs imports, btw. My Civic was made in Ohio by American union labourers, and my gf's GM was built in Mexico. Go figure. If you want to argue about domestic vs foreign auto design, look at the racing leagues, then talk about nascar design vs f1, lemans, wsb or wrc technology and what technology trickles down where.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:59 AM   #7
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

your friend bout a 1,200 camaro. it has to be very old and in bad shape. the rsx is a brand new car. you can say that about anything almost when buying used. my 9,000 prelude is faster than a 18000 civic si or a 25000 ITR (now it is) or even a 26000 newer prelude. but the thing is, they are driving new cars. look at the price of a brand new z28.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 09:50 AM   #8
spoogenet

Most Japanese cars have higher reliability than the major American manufacturers can claim. I must give credit to the American manufacturers, though, as they have narrowed the gap significantly over the past couple decades, but they still lag behind.

I think the general styling of most Japanese cars brought to the US is better than the US cars. There are, of course, exceptions. For American cars I must say the Corvette and Viper lines have very nice styling, the Prowler was a pretty good lookin ride while it lasted, and of course many of the older American cars had very nice styling. For Japanese cars I must say there are plenty of ugly ones and plenty of nice looking ones.

Of course when you get into arguments about fuel economy and handling those really depend on the cars. One must consider what the car was designed for before making judgments on fuel economy and handling. Arguably Camaros and Mustangs have pretty poor handling, especially for a "sports car". However they are fairly well-suited for drag racing, something that the average Japanese car isn't well-suited for. Comparing 4cyl with 4cyl and 6cyl with 6cyl with comparable displacements in similar product lines (family sedan vs family sedan, sport vs sport, etc) you will probably notice a general trend that the US automakers have comparable fuel economy to the Japanese makers.

One must also consider that the US automakers make and sell plenty of very nice rides outside of the US, as do the Japanese companies.

Overall there is no clear determination between US and Japanese companies to declare one side better than the other. Each country and company produces products that are good, decent, and bad. Whether you feel one design philosophy is better than another is, ultimately, a matter of opinion rather than fact.

So next time someone goes off on how great US or Japanese cars are as compared to the other, kindly tell the person that it's all a matter of opinion and that you don't care to hear his.

b
Old 08-13-2002, 11:45 PM   #9
fastasfoggy

you ever notice anyone with a muscle car says how much horsepower it has, how much women like it, how it tears imports apart, then says something like right now its in a million pieces on garage floor? but when its running its a import killa when it runs.......but still favorite car of all time is the mustang from bullit
Old 08-14-2002, 04:08 PM   #10
vtecmansi

Quote:
Originally posted by toykilla

8 grand more? i dont know what the hell kind of zo6 price tags you have been looking at buddy but ya might wanna check again cuz its more like 15grand my friend. anyway might wanna check first next time.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:23 PM   #11
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

yeah z06's go for about 54k if im not mistaken. my friend got his s2k hardtop for 34k

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 04:59 PM   #12
Niacin

This could get dangerous.

Neither group is *better* than any other. Why can't y'all just be enthusiasts, and enjoy modded cars for what they are, the investment of a person's time and cash into a vehicle that reflects that individual's choice of style?

I've got no problem with any car that's all tricked out. Some of them are really neat cars, with cool people behind the wheel who are proud of what they have. I may not personally care for that particular car, but I can respect the effort that goes into any car, be it a Camaro Z28 on 33" Super Swampers, a rusted-out El Camino with a $40k motor, or an Accord with $15k of body mod's and an air filter. Double admiration if they've done the work by themselves, b/c that means a lot more to me than slips or HP/TQ ratings.

Now, there's a second group, who are all about "getting respect" and "flossin' whips" and suffer from such personality disorders as a result that you couldn't get the time of day from them regardless of what you drive. I don't go for that crowd, and I try not to hang around them. And they don't just drive domestic, or imports, or Mustangs, or Kias, or whatnot.

Can't we all just get along?

Max
Old 08-14-2002, 05:23 PM   #13
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by Niacin

Now, there's a second group, who are all about "getting respect" and "flossin' whips" and suffer from such personality disorders as a result that you couldn't get the time of day from them regardless of what you drive. I don't go for that crowd, and I try not to hang around them. And they don't just drive domestic, or imports, or Mustangs, or Kias, or whatnot.

Max

Hahaha so true. I guess they lack somewhere else in their life.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 06:55 AM   #14
vtecmansi

yup

Quote:
Originally posted by 4thGenlude
yeah z06's go for about 54k if im not mistaken. my friend got his s2k hardtop for 34k

yep you are right. i just hate it when people knock imports and they dont know what they are talking about. ill take the s2k and throw that extra 20g in it any day.
Old 08-15-2002, 07:15 AM   #15
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
...Neither group is *better* than any other. Why can't y'all just be enthusiasts, and enjoy modded cars for what they are, the investment of a person's time and cash into a vehicle that reflects that individual's choice of style?...

I second that..
Old 08-15-2002, 07:15 AM   #16
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
...Neither group is *better* than any other. Why can't y'all just be enthusiasts, and enjoy modded cars for what they are, the investment of a person's time and cash into a vehicle that reflects that individual's choice of style?...

I second that..
Old 08-15-2002, 08:06 PM   #17
ShEaNy

lol me too . hey i do like both imports and domestics...just imports a little more...
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote