::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2002, 10:06 PM   #1
HondaTypeJ

Earl Sheib...Opinions?

Ok, my brother is wanting to repaint his car and he is thinking about taking it to Earl Sheib...Has anyone used them for your car painting needs? Any opinons on thier quality, job, etc? Thanks for any replies!
Old 02-07-2002, 11:00 PM   #2
OneDopeTeg

dont do it...earl scheib sucks....you get what you pay for and what you pay for at ES is crap! Trust me it will save ya money.
Old 02-07-2002, 11:15 PM   #3
HondaTypeJ

Ok, there's one...lol

Ok, there is one. Anyone here done thier paint job at an Earl Sheib? What did you think?
Old 02-07-2002, 11:15 PM   #4
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

If you're going to repaint a car, do it correctly the first time. If you don't pay a lot, you surely won't get a lot. Places such as Earl Sheib don't do a good job. They don't prep the car correctly, etc.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 11:33 PM   #5
HondaTypeJ

personal exp?

Ok, thanx for the input any more would be cool. Are you guys talking about personal experience? I was looking through this brochure my bro got from Earl S. and he is thinking about the "Pro 3" which is the top of the line paint job. www.earlscheib.com What place would you recommend for a paint job?
Old 02-07-2002, 11:36 PM   #6
HondaTypeJ

Pro 3

Earl Scheib's Pro 3 Package
This top of the line package includes a six year warranty. At $499.95 it includes:

* Chemically clean & dewax
* Dual-action sanding for adhesion
* Careful masking & taping
* Air-blown dust removal
* Tack cloth cleaning
* Paint coats #1 and #2
* Masking & tape removal
* Final cleaning
* Many additional colors
* Paint coat #3 (base coat) for a uniform finish
* Infrared Quartz Finish drying
* Bumper & Tire Conditioner
* Additional sanding & preparation for adhesion
* Integrated clear coat
* "Starfire Colors"
* Extra final cleaning
* Our BEST Warranty
Old 02-08-2002, 07:24 AM   #7
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Re: Pro 3

Quote:
Originally posted by HondaTypeJ

* Chemically clean & dewax
* Dual-action sanding for adhesion
* Careful masking & taping
* Air-blown dust removal
* Tack cloth cleaning
* Paint coats #1 and #2
* Masking & tape removal
* Final cleaning
* Many additional colors
* Paint coat #3 (base coat) for a uniform finish
* Infrared Quartz Finish drying
* Bumper & Tire Conditioner
* Additional sanding & preparation for adhesion
* Integrated clear coat
* "Starfire Colors"
* Extra final cleaning
* Our BEST Warranty

Bumper & tire Conditioner? Wow they clean your wheels

My motto is "you get what you pay for". For $500 don't expect alot even though they clean your tires.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:43 AM   #8
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

What kinda paint job is he looking for? Show quality or just something to make it look better then it did? If he wants so quality, Id go somewhere else. If he just wants it to look alittle better the go ES. Ive never seen an ES paint job, but Ive heard its pretty decent for the money. Not Show quality tho.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:56 AM   #9
slowEJ6

haha just look around bro, sometimes you can find places that do GREAT work for cheap prices. ES isnt one of them. they are like maaco.
20/20 Autobody is a good place to go. even though ive heard as of late their customer service and quality has gone down the tubes. but ive only HEARD this. dont be afraid to drive to oen of these places and look at the work they are doing.....if they do good work they should have no problem letting you check it out.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 10:37 AM   #10
HondaTypeJ

Not show quality...

He just wants it to look pretty nice, better than now. He has a 1998 Civic coupe and has put a kit on it already and he is now ready to paint the entire thing. Right now it is black and the kit peices are unpainted. He said his friend put on a kit and has earl scheib paint it and said it came out fairly nice. His budget is 500. So I think ES is all he can afford. Maybe I am wrong. Are there any places in the LOS ANGELES area that one would recommend? Thanks for info.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:03 AM   #11
Kalakas

DO NOT GO THERE!!!
I stop and give them the finger every time i pass one.
Back when i had my 84 VW GTI i went to get the body work done and get it painted. I paid like 800, and when i got the car back not one friggen dent was fixed., the paint looked okay, but there was a couple runs in the paint. they oversprayed, and tagged my custom bumper, had a little paint on one rim. painted one side molding and taped the other. left tape on car that was painted. (so it looked painted but the tape peeled right off.) As if thats not bad enough. less than 3 months later paint started to flake off. no primer job it was like only one coat of paint. so Do not go to earl schieb. Macco on the other hand (if you got one) is worth looking into. my father in law got is nova painted there in 89 and its still sweet and shines (expect for the hood replaced in the accident)
Old 02-08-2002, 11:06 AM   #12
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Dang.. That sounds like a crappy deal...!:o
Old 02-08-2002, 11:44 AM   #13
SWIFT

ok, heres my opinion and question. if im planning to change the color of my car, i wouldnt go to those cheap (lets say "affordable")
places(unless you know someone who'd do the job for you)...i had a supra before...they changed the color (ES did; white to silver) and i had more complain than praise to the shop so i learned my lesson..i would save up if ur planning to change the color.
now if im planning to keep the color of my car coz there are some scrathes and color is kinda fading, would you recommend Maaco? my hatch's bumper is kinda fading.. to all of you who have seen their work, how do you like it? thnx..
Old 02-08-2002, 11:44 AM   #14
HondaTypeJ

Decision...

Well, after showing him all these posts, he has decided not to go with E.S. He is unsure about where to take it in now. Like I said his budget is about 600 I believe is what he said. Anyone know of a place he could take it in in the LOS ANGELEs area? By the way, where did you guys take your cars in for your painting needs?
Old 02-08-2002, 11:50 AM   #15
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

His best bet would probably be to save up alittle more money until he can get it done right..