::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2002, 06:10 PM   #1
78 monte

Automatic tranny

Do they make stall converters and shift kits for automatic honda tranies?????Or is manual the only performance options for performance.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:29 PM   #2
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Hondas make power through revving, not torque, and auto trannies mean higher gear ratios, dropping revs. Thus, manual trannies are the weapon of choice for high-revving, small displacement motors.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 12:03 AM   #3
BLu3xCiViC

Re: Automatic tranny

Quote:
Originally posted by 78 monte
Do they make stall converters and shift kits for automatic honda tranies?????Or is manual the only performance options for performance.

yes they do make torque converters, many manufacturers such as level 10 among others make clutch packs and torque converters for various honda application........a honda with torque converter launches really well, but it can be kinda pricey........its true that manual is the way to go for performance, but automatics aren't that bad at all, it can be very consistent.....on a stock tranny expect no more than 200hp before the tranny starts to give out......a tranny cooler would do the job to a point......my bro has an automatic ls b18b1 motor in his eg hatch, its very impression.......with a 65 shot of nitrous on a stock auto tranny.....he runs consistent low to mid 14's thats been several months with no tranny problems.......my penny of a dime peace
Old 12-02-2002, 10:36 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

yup, as said before level10 makes a bullet proof tranny, torque converters (they claim 1 second off the 1/4mile time), plus a manual shift kit for the auto.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 11:56 AM   #5
Almighty-Si

I can vouch for them as I have a friend who had one of their trannys in his car (you'll find out why I said had in a minute) and it was nothing but spectacular. He had the tranny in the car for a total of 4 years and the reason why he doesn't have it anymore is not cause the tranny broke it's because he had an accident with the car and then after 1 1/2 years of being boosted on at 16psi from a T3-T4 hybrid the motor gave way. The turbo went on the car when the car had 60,000 miles and when the motor gave way it had just a touch over 100,000 miles. This car was his daily driver which he used to put 100+ miles on the car a day and the tranny was just as good as the day he got it back till the day of his cars death. When the car died he had removed the tranny and sold it. From the last I heard from the new owner the tranny is still going strong.

Would I recommend them, hell yes ! but be prepared to spend some money as the work is not that cheap. If 5spd is totally out of the question this is the only way to go.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:32 PM   #6
78 monte

The onl reason I ask is in the monte I run a Autromatic with a stall converter and shift kit and I was wondering if the honda's had autos as a performance optional build-up too.Ya don't hear too much of stall converters and valve bodys for automatic inport cars.
Also in braket racing the Automatic seems to be king for consistancy,do the import drag cars run auto or stick??
Old 12-02-2002, 10:38 PM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i'm not racing my car, cause my tranny blew out (yeah high performance there with 125 hp), but most of the ppl i hear is that they run manuals. i think a level 10 tranny will piss on the manuals, especially with the built torque converter. lookie at this: http://www.levelten.com/ everything available for both domestics and imports

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 11:37 AM   #8
Almighty-Si

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
i'm not racing my car, cause my tranny blew out (yeah high performance there with 125 hp), but most of the ppl i hear is that they run manuals. i think a level 10 tranny will piss on the manuals, especially with the built torque converter. lookie at this: http://www.levelten.com/ everything available for both domestics and imports

The Level 10 tranny is great piece by all means, but as it pissing all over manuals I wouldnt go that far. It's still an auto, and though auto's are consistent the downfall of the tranny is the launch. Coming off the line is the most important part of dragging, you want to come off the line as hard as you can with no to minimal wheel spin. With the auto your are limitted on how hard you can come off the line because of the stall in the converter. A 3000 stall on a V8 domestic is very sufficient because the domestic has what imports lack and that is gobbs of low end torque but an import with a 3000 stall really isnt a hard puller off the line.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:06 AM   #9
andy_reynold28

Autos are better for track racing by far. Must be: formula one cars use auto's. they just manually change down to steady the car. also without having to worry about changing gear u can concentrate on going fast through the corners. Autos change gear faster neway.