::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2002, 09:45 AM   #1
supermancivic

turbo or cam?

hey im trying to decide whether i should turbo my car or should i put a cam in it. im not looking for all out horsepower otherwise the decision would be clear. im just looking for something fun. the catch is that the car will be on the highway alot and kinda wondered if that would cause me problems with a turbo setup. any opinions or comments let me know. thanks
Old 05-15-2002, 10:16 AM   #2
supermancivic

or supercharger even?
Old 05-15-2002, 02:17 PM   #3
blownteggy

if you're unsure right now, i would suggest that you research which setup is best for you. a cam, depending on your ride, will help a little bit.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:40 PM   #4
supermancivic

yeah thats what im tryin to do. but if you ask a shop it seems like they just tell you what they want to sell you so i was trying to get an honest opinion on here. im thinkin a supercharger though since its easier to install than a turbo and seems a little less stressful at high rpm for long periods. thanks though
Old 05-15-2002, 05:31 PM   #5
ShEaNy

ya a supercharger will do LOTS more then a cam depending on what u want to spend though....its up to u....go Vortech or JRSC if u do...
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 06:25 PM   #6
supermancivic

yeah ill probably go JRSC cause ive found more of those, even though the vortech would give me more.
Old 05-15-2002, 10:07 PM   #7
ShEaNy

ya... good luck lots of cash...just for the product and if ur getting it in professionally labour is a killer..... go with it though man u'll have a fast car....
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 10:27 PM   #8
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

what type of car is this on? and if your going to supercharge, i would recomend vortec, more power, same rough price i think, i personaly like the design better, and latly ive herd not so great stuff about JRSC

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 10:52 PM   #9
supermancivic

its on a 99 civic ex. thanks for the advice.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:14 PM   #10
blownteggy

if a shop is just bullshittin you what to get next, they just want a sale...trust me i know how they work i'm in sales...i would ask random people you meet
Old 05-16-2002, 12:19 PM   #11
TruHeel142

Quote:
Originally posted by blownteggy
if a shop is just bullshittin you what to get next, they just want a sale...trust me i know how they work i'm in sales...i would ask random people you meet

teg, what sc do you have??? And what other mods did you have to get with it??? New fuel stuff, ignition, sparks?? and how much for ur kit, if i may ask???
Old 05-16-2002, 01:01 PM   #12
blownteggy

Quote:
Originally posted by TruHeel142

teg, what sc do you have??? And what other mods did you have to get with it??? New fuel stuff, ignition, sparks?? and how much for ur kit, if i may ask???
i have the JRSC, i upgraded the fuel pump, changed my wires to magnecors, colder plugs, i upgraded the ignition to a MSD BTM...you can also use a msd 6al or the MSD SCI, i prefer the btm since i'm boosted. i changed out the fuel rail, and injectors, i also bought an hks super afr

i use this to avoid the problem of running to lean or rich.
you don't need all of these products though, i used them cuz theere's alot of $$$ invested under the hood. for the basics all you need is a fuel pump, wires, spark plugs, and ignition.
Old 05-16-2002, 01:04 PM   #13
blownteggy

oh yeah the charger ran about 2300, the fuel pump from jackson is like 180, i got it for 115
Old 05-19-2002, 10:51 PM   #14
tooslow91crx

if you went with a cam, to get it's full potential, you'd probably want to increase your compression too, which would mean new pistons and decreases fuel efficiency. supercharging would give you parasitic loss if you're on the highway and cut your milege, but would probably be the easiest to install. if you're going to spend a lot of time on the highway (when you say highway, i'm thinking like interstate, like traveling to and from college or something like that where you spend hours at 75 mph) i would recommend a turbo. you get the boost when you need it, but it's not going to give you as much parasitic loss when you're just cruising. look at the semis that spend all day on the highway. they use turbos to give them the power they need to accelerate all that weight, but you need the best fuel economy possible when you're driving 100k miles a year. if you know someone with a turbo DSM, you might be able to get their stock turbo if they upgrade and run around 8 psi on yout stock internals.