::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2002, 06:16 PM   #1
gojigen

Japanese Type R help

Ok guys/girls here is the scoop. I live in Osaka Japan and I just bought a 98 Integra type R. The engine mods I have is a Mugen header, 5Zigen race exhaust, Mines computer, AEM cold air intake and an APEXi VAFC. I just got my NOS kit in last week and installed it. I haven’t tested out yet because I don’t want to f#ck anything up. Is there anything I should do as far and tweaks or tuning before I run the NOS? It is only a 60 HP boost and the guy at NOS told me not to worry. Well, I don’t know what to expect cause it is my first time using NOS. I am looking to get a supercharger from Jackson soon and I know I have to retard ignition by 3 degrees. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I should consider or do?

PS. My mines computer is set only to cut the speed limiter. In Japan, all cars including GT-Rs, RX-7...everything....is limited to 180Kmh (111 Mph) unless you buy a computer to cut the limiter. Everything else is the same.

PSS. Does anyone know a really good setting for the VAFC?

Thanks people...

Gojigen
Old 01-25-2002, 06:53 PM   #2
Rocket

Saftey Tips

Engine Prep

1)Thicker oil 10w40. All the extra fuel tends to dilute oil on the cylinders.

2)Colder spark plugs. More power requires colder plugs. Reduce gap on plugs to 0.8mm if you don't have MSD.

3)Retard ignition timing 3 to 4 degrees back from stock. You can tune more timing in later.

4)Run fuel injection cleaner to make sure the injectors are running super clean.

Driver Prep

1)Only nitrous in 1st and 2nd. 3rd, 4th, etc gears are really hard on the motor so avoid nitrousing in these gears when you first start experimenting.

2) Do not miss shift and hit the rev limiter. Fuel cut off is the kiss of death with nitrous.

3) Make sure the motor is fully warmed up. Cold motors can't handle the extra fuel.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:08 PM   #3
gojigen

Thank you for your help. I dont have the Supercharger in yet. Should I still retard timing? Also, you said 1st and 2nd, but not 3rd, 4th and 5th. Will I ever get a chance to squeeze in 3-4-5? In Japan there is not so much Drags but more open highway races. Thanks for your time....

Gojigen
Old 01-25-2002, 11:45 PM   #4
slowEJ6

VAFC is best tuned on a dyno. a particular setting that works well for one person, could not give as good of gains for another. hence dyno tuning is your best option.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 07:06 AM   #5
Rocket

Retarded Timing and 3rd, 4th gear

You should still retard the timing even if you don't have the supercharger. Combustion is a little faster with the proper amount of nitrous so you don't have to run as much timing.

You can slowly add more timing back into the motor a degree at time and see if you are gaining more power. When you don't gain anymore power back it off the timing 1 degree. But it shouldn't need more than stock which is 16 degrees.

Tuning sounds like a pain but it gets addicting and after a while you like it. Just tweak one thing at time and use your ass as the dyno. Also you should have a buddy monitoring your air/fuel ratio when you do your tuning. You should always be running on the rich side at full throttle.

Once you feel comfortable with your tuning, you can nitrous in 3rd and 4th but I would stay away from 5th gear. Many motors have been blown nitrousing in 5th.

Aslo make sure your Nitrous bottle is warm and pointing forward. It works better that way.

You may want to try adding more fuel to the higher rpm's on the Vtec section in your VAFC.

Oh by the way, you are going to need at least 310cc injectors if you are going to run the supercharger. The stock injectors are marginally too small as is.
Old 01-26-2002, 09:10 AM   #6
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

60 Shot would be fine with your setup. Just watch how you tune the VAFC. You really need it tuned on a dyno. With 60 shot, a spark plug that's one heat range colder would be sufficient(maybe 2 if you feel like being extra cautious). Use NGK V-Powers(copper). Do NOT use platinum. As far as timing goes, 3 to 4 degrees retard is right.

Since you are getting a SC, if you don't have your ignition upgraded, DO IT NOW. Look into the MSD equipment. On this same note you'll need to upgrade your fuel system as well(injectors, fuel pump, etc.). Fuel makes the POWER.