::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2001, 10:17 PM   #1
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Exclamation Think the Si has some issues....

I decided to check my plugs yesterday. I wasn't expecting a whole lot being that my car is a 2000. So I pop the wire cover off and pull the first plug....

It was black. It looked like it had been running rich. The electrode looked worn too. I pulled all the other ones. They all looked the same. Which is ok. At least all the cylinders are performing the same. No biggie. So I went and got some new plugs.

I pulled the plugs to replace them. Well I got this nifty idea to look down into the cylinder. WHOA. The top of the piston looked rusted. Spots & patches. This was the case on all cylinders. Now this had me worried. So I though maybe its carbon deposits. More likely right? Just doesn't seem right for rust to be in the cylinder.

Anyhow my point is this. What would cause this? Its fairly heavy rust/carbon. My other thought, and this scares me more, is that maybe this car had been in a flood. I say this becouse there is a bracket in the rear near the intake manifold that is rust covered. I never noticed it before. The engine bay was also very dirty. Anyhow, here's some pics I took.
The plugs..........(ignore the dirt in the background)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12-11-01 - spark plugs 4 3 2 1sm.jpg (43.4 KB, 80 views)
Old 12-11-2001, 10:19 PM   #2
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

The walls... (I couldn't get a pic of the piston )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12-11-01 - cylinder 2sm.jpg (29.2 KB, 78 views)
Old 12-11-2001, 10:19 PM   #3
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

The intake manifold gasket has been replaced...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12-11-01 - intake manifold gasketsm.jpg (36.4 KB, 77 views)
Old 12-11-2001, 10:20 PM   #4
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

The rusted bracket....
Old 12-11-2001, 10:21 PM   #5
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

You can get more pics at
http://www.siscom.net/~jdoles/images/civic/
Old 12-12-2001, 08:49 AM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

looking at ur plugs it seems that u are running rich. i dunno what to say about pistons and gasket. Maybe it was flooded. Run a carfax report on it and see what it comes up with. If it is out of state the salvage/flooded title will disappear. Run some ATF thru ur engine for a clean up. make sure you are gonna use your old sparkplugs 'cause it foul them big time. To run that thru the engine just get the fuel pressure hose out, stick it in a bottle and rev the car around 3k rpms. make sure u are gonna do it in a remote area with no nosy neighbours cause it will be very hard to explain to the fire dept. why all that smoke.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 08:54 AM   #7
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Well I ran a carfax report before i got it. But I can't find the e-mail so I don't remember if it was in Ohio or not.

ATF? As in Automatic Transmission Fluid?
Old 12-12-2001, 09:18 AM   #8
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Denso plugs??? Are the plugs the right heat range for your motor. I thought all hondas came with NGK, maybe someone replaced them with the wrong heat range plugs which maybe why they are so burnt.
Old 12-12-2001, 12:07 PM   #9
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
Denso plugs??? Are the plugs the right heat range for your motor. I thought all hondas came with NGK, maybe someone replaced them with the wrong heat range plugs which maybe why they are so burnt.

Well they can come with either Denso or NGK from the factory. Its less liekly to find the Denso plugs but they do exist.

I just gotta figure out how to get the engine cleaned up. Its still under warranty, but I don't know if this is covered.
Old 12-12-2001, 02:36 PM   #10
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

run ATF thru ur engine. it will clean ur sh*t really good. I did it on mine.

civic wherew in oh are u from ?

Old 12-12-2001, 02:38 PM   #11
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Well I just called the dealership. I'm dropping my car off tonight and they are going to take a look at it for this issue and the tranny issue(grinds from 2nd to 3rd).

The guy on the phone said that if it were running rich the check engine light would come on. I wasn't aware that happened. He also said if the previous owner had never changed the plugs that it could leave the carbon deposits.

So we shall see....
Old 12-12-2001, 02:39 PM   #12
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
run ATF thru ur engine. it will clean ur sh*t really good. I did it on mine.

civic wherew in oh are u from ?

Centerville.... Near the Dayton Mall....
Old 12-12-2001, 03:45 PM   #13
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

How much ATF? And where do I put it in? Not the tank right?
Old 12-12-2001, 03:57 PM   #14
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

I'm not the world's foremost expert on nitrous, but I have seen people burn holes in their pistons with it. I'm thinking it has something to do with your nitrous tuning- whether it be your A/F tuning or your ignition timing. I think you could be detonating. With the exception of the rusted bracket, this would explain everything you've shown us.

A carfax report will show everything that's happened in every state. So if it's not on there, don't worry about it.

If the dealership doesn't cover it under warranty (which they may not, considering the car has been modified), here's what I would do: Take the engine apart, and clean it. While removing your plugs may have shown you the problem, you have no idea what else is going on in there. This way you can clean the pistons and cylinder walls, as well as your valves.

Good luck, let us know what happens.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 04:49 PM   #15
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by 2ndGenTeg
I'm not the world's foremost expert on nitrous, but I have seen people burn holes in their pistons with it. I'm thinking it has something to do with your nitrous tuning- whether it be your A/F tuning or your ignition timing. I think you could be detonating. With the exception of the rusted bracket, this would explain everything you've shown us.

A carfax report will show everything that's happened in every state. So if it's not on there, don't worry about it.

If the dealership doesn't cover it under warranty (which they may not, considering the car has been modified), here's what I would do: Take the engine apart, and clean it. While removing your plugs may have shown you the problem, you have no idea what else is going on in there. This way you can clean the pistons and cylinder walls, as well as your valves.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

This car is unmodified as of yet. It was my EX that had the nitrous.

I just dropped it off. The guy said the plugs should've been changed at the 30,000 mile mark. We'll see what happens.
Old 12-12-2001, 05:11 PM   #16
DRAG Boosted Si
The Grim Reaper

Re: Think the Si has some issues....

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict
I decided to check my plugs yesterday. I wasn't expecting a whole lot being that my car is a 2000. So I pop the wire cover off and pull the first plug....

It was black. It looked like it had been running rich. The electrode looked worn too. I pulled all the other ones. They all looked the same. Which is ok. At least all the cylinders are performing the same. No biggie. So I went and got some new plugs.

I pulled the plugs to replace them. Well I got this nifty idea to look down into the cylinder. WHOA. The top of the piston looked rusted. Spots & patches. This was the case on all cylinders. Now this had me worried. So I though maybe its carbon deposits. More likely right? Just doesn't seem right for rust to be in the cylinder.

Anyhow my point is this. What would cause this? Its fairly heavy rust/carbon. My other thought, and this scares me more, is that maybe this car had been in a flood. I say this becouse there is a bracket in the rear near the intake manifold that is rust covered. I never noticed it before. The engine bay was also very dirty. Anyhow, here's some pics I took.
The plugs..........(ignore the dirt in the background)
Judging from your car...my car looks the same in all areas u have mentioned possible problems....just normal wear and tear...the honda engines are made from the factory to run a lil rich and also thats not a new intake manifold gasket...its stock, mine looks like that too
DRAG Boosted Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 07:11 PM   #17
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Re: Re: Think the Si has some issues....

Quote:
Originally posted by DRAG Boosted Si
Judging from your car...my car looks the same in all areas u have mentioned possible problems....just normal wear and tear...the honda engines are made from the factory to run a lil rich and also thats not a new intake manifold gasket...its stock, mine looks like that too

I meant new as in replaced. Yours still looks like that?
Old 12-12-2001, 08:30 PM   #18
DRAG Boosted Si
The Grim Reaper

Re: Re: Re: Think the Si has some issues....

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict

I meant new as in replaced. Yours still looks like that?
yes
DRAG Boosted Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 07:16 AM   #19
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Re: Re: Re: Re: Think the Si has some issues....

Quote:
Originally posted by DRAG Boosted Si
yes

Guess that's good news....
Old 12-13-2001, 08:24 PM   #20
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Well the dealer found nothing wrong. But what I did find is that the dealer I got it from didn't do the certification checks. Here's the page with the list of them

http://www.honda2001.com/models/cert...ion/index.html

When I changed the oil it was not an OEM filter. The wiper blades need replaced. the list of stuff goes on and on.....

I calle dthe dealer and the sales manager was very nice and helpful. I have to call the service manager back so I can get it taken in. Hopefully the giv eme a rental or something....
Old 12-13-2001, 11:27 PM   #21
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

at least u know nobody messed up with ur car. well mine had some deposits on the pistons top, but i cleaned them. also i do not have anymore predetonation.

Old 12-14-2001, 02:53 PM   #22
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
at least u know nobody messed up with ur car. well mine had some deposits on the pistons top, but i cleaned them. also i do not have anymore predetonation.

With the ATF? I'm half scared to put that in. Its going to the dealer I got it from on Wednesday to get ALL the certified maintenance done.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:15 PM   #23
88DX CIVIC

please give details on the ATF cleaning deal. i just got a 88 dx and you'd like to clean the thing if possible