::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2001, 12:52 AM   #1
OneDopeTeg

Anyone got a big bore throttle body?

If so what do you think....was it worth it....and what type do you have?
Old 11-29-2001, 01:58 AM   #2
BlazinCrx

We just put a BBK on a 00' Si...well worth the money...helped out the car alot
Old 11-29-2001, 04:19 AM   #3
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Concerning big bore throttle bodies:

Keep in mind that the intake system is exactly that, a system. Upgrading just one component isn't going to make much of a difference. In fact, upgrading all but one component isn't going to make much difference due to bottlenecks. In order to get the most benefit out of a big bore throttle body, you must upgrade it, the intake, the intake manifold, and (preferably) port and polish the head. That way, you can flow more air through the entire system. What good is a bored out throttle body if the intake manifold can't flow that much air?

Also- the ratio of the diameter of your intake piping to that of the area of the throttle body plate isn't a mistake. This ratio is important because it creates the right amount of pressure on the intake plate from charge air. If the intake tube is too large, no pressure is generated. If it is too small, you can't flow enough air. Ever wonder why the AEM cold air intake (2.5") produces more power than the Injen cold air intake (3")? Now you know.

If you still want to get one, I'd look at the JDM ITR, Erick's racing (www.modacar.com), or the Spoon (www.inlinefour.com -my favorite online shop). Add that to the Injen 3" cold air intake and a Skunk2 intake manifold, and you'll have an extra 10-15 to the wheels over stock.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 12:49 PM   #4
3000gtvr4spd

all it will realy ive you is a better reactionto the gas whe oyu hit the gas it wont hesitate as much just a btter reaction no really big power though and you can biore it your self much cheaper
Old 12-14-2001, 03:23 PM   #5
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

Indeed the bigget TB isn;t goin to make much HP diff at all..Unless you port and polish everything else to make the ait flow better..That would increae the HP..

You will feel better response but that would be it w/out the PP..

Hope this might help a little...
Old 12-23-2001, 05:40 PM   #6
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by BlazinCrx
We just put a BBK on a 00' Si...well worth the money...helped out the car alot

What other mods was the Si running? Just curious....
Old 12-23-2001, 06:06 PM   #7
BlazinCrx

cam gears, header, exhaust, intake, high flow cat...we are getting ready to throw a str manifold w/an aem fuel rail on in the next week. along with pullies, and with any luck the aem brake big brake upgrade the first week of feb.
Old 12-24-2001, 12:33 AM   #8
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by BlazinCrx
cam gears, header, exhaust, intake, high flow cat...we are getting ready to throw a str manifold w/an aem fuel rail on in the next week. along with pullies, and with any luck the aem brake big brake upgrade the first week of feb.

Must be nice to have that cash flow.....
Old 12-24-2001, 03:27 AM   #9
BlazinCrx

yeah and it helps when we are hooking up so we can show his car in are both in feb. for albuquerques big show.
Old 12-24-2001, 02:58 PM   #10
B18C-EJ1

I have a RC engineering T-body, much better than stock. But then again, I have all the goodies to match it too.

I went from 60mm to 64mm.
Old 12-25-2001, 06:55 AM   #11
Boosted3g

Also cosider plentum size. The general rule is the larger the plentum the smaller the tb you need. If you have a small plentum like the stock manifold you will want to go for a larger tb. Dont fall into the gimicks of having every part manufacturer tell you that you need something.
Old 12-25-2001, 12:04 PM   #12
B18C-EJ1

Quote:
Originally posted by Boosted3g
Also cosider plentum size. The general rule is the larger the plentum the smaller the tb you need. If you have a small plentum like the stock manifold you will want to go for a larger tb. Dont fall into the gimicks of having every part manufacturer tell you that you need something.

What? Who told you that?

So if I have a "PLENUM" (which is the main part of the intake manifold for those who don't know) the size of a JDM ITR intake, I should use a CX throttle body?

Oh, but if I have a CX intake manifold, I should use a ITR throttle body???

Think about what you said, then come back and re-word it and please check your spelling too.

Plenum - not Plentum
Consider - not cosider

Sorry to rag on you, but you make no sense at all.
Old 12-25-2001, 01:40 PM   #13
Boosted3g

No wait a minute, think about the concept for a minute. What the hell do I know I just work at a performance shop and run 10s. Im just trying to help you guys out from past experience and several articles that I have read over the years. If you care not to listen to it then be appreciative and say nothing. You tell me im wrong and then you ask me a question, but i will be nice and answer maybe i took your responce the wrong way. Yes you should use a larger throttlebody if you plan to keep that manifold. I will see if i can find an article to better explain myself.
Old 12-25-2001, 01:44 PM   #14
Boosted3g

well as it turns out the Endyn mesage boards are down but if I remember correctly there was a recent discussion that explains the dynamics of the whole matter.