::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2002, 01:39 AM   #1
yelizardking

building a head

when building a bad ass head what are they things you can do to it. i know you can ass some agressive camshafts(from what i've heard jun is the way to go) and changing the cam gears(i've heard spoon is the way to go) changeing the valve springs. what other things can you do to the head and does it to to it?
Old 04-18-2002, 12:55 AM   #2
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Here's what I would do:

Camshafts: Toda Spec B/ Jun Stage 2 (Very Similar)
Valvetrain (Valvesprings and Retainers): Toda/Portflow
Cam Gears: Spoon
Port/Polish/Valve Job: Portflow

Some people will tell you to get Ferrea valves, but I think it's a waste of money. You could also het the head milled to increase compression, but I prefer to do that in the piston.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 02:12 AM   #3
yelizardking

how big should the port polished valve job be?
Old 04-21-2002, 03:59 PM   #4
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

It depends.

It's walking a fine line between power and street ability. Obviously, the larger you go, the better it will flow. However, this will hurt the engine's idle and low end power.

That's why I suggest Portflow. They can take what you have done to the car (or are planning to do), and custom finish the head to your needs/ specifications. Most of the time, they can also install your new valvetrain and cams at the same time.

Pretty convenient.
Old 04-21-2002, 06:01 PM   #5
yelizardking

i see, exellent. thanks a million
Old 04-23-2002, 12:07 PM   #6
tooslow91crx

doesn't crower make cams with a similar profile to the jun's, at half the cost, plus their titanium dual springs and retainers run a lot less expensive as well
Old 04-23-2002, 01:41 PM   #7
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Don't let the cam specs fool you. It's easy to have similar duration and lift numbers, yet have a very different cam grind. Jun and Toda are often imitated, but never duplicated. Even if you compare the two, the specs look nearly identical. But ask anyone who's ever tuned them, and they'll tell you that the two are very different in the way they behave.

As for the valvetrain, same deal. All springs and retainers are not created equal. Just because the spring is titanium doesn't mean that the spring rate is as high as a Toda/Portflow spring, or the retainer is as light.

When truly building a head, don't cut corners. How pissed are you gonna be when you drop a valve and toast the whole thing?
Old 04-24-2002, 12:39 AM   #8
yelizardking

yup

Quote:
Originally posted by 2ndGenTeg

When truly building a head, don't cut corners. How pissed are you gonna be when you drop a valve and toast the whole thing?
aint that the truth.