Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2002, 09:59 PM   #1
juvenile

Make a cold air intake

"Tip by: cdJeff
Okay, first off, this is a one off product. I can either make you one or you can yourself, just email me at cdjeff@bellsouth.net. I do intend very soon (actually right after this post) to take the pictures and have someone scan them for me. The installation of the intake is similar to that of an aem. The parts needed are: one conical k&n filter, some piping of 2 and a half inch diameter, and 3-3inch couplings for PVC. trust me the couplings work, and are a hell of allot cheaper than ones from nopi. I'd say, now that the r&d is out of it, should take no more that 30-45 minutes. You do have to remove (pull back) the passenger side fenderwell, and remove the plastic undertrays, which reside just behind the bumper. These are held together by a 2 plastic pegs and 3 bolts. Very easy. Next place the piping into the stock intake tube (yes I know aem replaces it, but so could I, but I didn't want too. Plus I do not feel that it will make a huge difference, nor worth the effort). Once the piping is installed in the engine bay, tighten all couplings, this is a 3 piece system. Next slide the k&n filter, which is attached to a 4-5 inch long piece of pipe and slide it into the hole where the resonator used to come from for its air. Now, reach around and tighten the clamp to hold it, button everything up and reset the ECU. then, have lots of fun!!! I've ran this setup for 2 months now, through horrible rain and the such. Furthermore, I do not see why some people are so afraid of this setup. Reason is, if you look inside the engine bay, at where your underhood filter is, you will see a LARGE opening to the road. water does, and will splash on your filter. however, I feel this result to be negligible, but nevertheless, still a risk. The cold air set ups, do place the filter lower, but, they also are protected more from water. Iif you are unstirred in your belief, I implore you to test it for yourself. "

Found this on a Honda Civic Si page. Very proffesional page. Just thought I'd share this with you people! Do you think it'll work as good, better or worse than brand name products?