::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2004, 08:03 PM   #1
Operatic

o2 Sensor problem

I'm posting this in the turbo form because I think it may be turbo related (as it happened after i installed my turbo). Anyways, CEL for primary oxygen sensor went off, so i bought a new one. 3 days later, goes back on for the same problem. Now i bought an OEM oxygen sensor from honda, so i'm guessing somethings a miss. Here are the things i have checked so far is the wiring, to make sure that all the wires weren't mis-matched when i extended them. But thats fine, as i crossed referenced it with a friend that has a stock civic of the same model. Now would running to rich cause my check engine light to go off? Unsure... any help would be apperciated.
-Pat
Old 03-30-2004, 08:30 PM   #2
4g63t
2nd Gear

Not a honda expert but i do know alittle about the o'l o2 sensor. You could be running so rich that your ruining your o2 sensor in a heart beat? I'd get the code pulled and see why your ce light comes on.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:47 PM   #3
Operatic

ya know, i really hope that the new o2 sensor didn't get crapped on yet. cause if thats the problem..... i just blew 89 dollars on an 02 sensor =( i couldn't bought a catch can with that!
Old 03-31-2004, 12:38 AM   #4
Sivik

what kind of turbo setup you running? and is the CEL code for the o2 sensor?

My Car

My Car is for sale
Sivik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 12:54 AM   #5
blind34_1

i know from experience that the o2 sensor can be ruined from running too rich. A tooth off on my timing belt and 300 bucks later taught me that one.

I don't know what to tell you for a solution. I know there are such things as o2 sensor simulators, but that kind of defeats the attempt at keeping some sort of fuel economy.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 07:01 AM   #6
Operatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Sivik
what kind of turbo setup you running? and is the CEL code for the o2 sensor?

My turbo setup is a t28 w/ internal wastegate, 440cc Injectors, AFC Hack. And the CEL code is for the primary oxygen sensor.

blind34_1 A tooth off on my timing belt and 300 bucks later taught me that one? i take it your timing belt was part of the problem?
Old 03-31-2004, 08:46 AM   #7
esthirteen

We had that problem on sohc_vtec 2NR's car. We thought the problem was because we had a little oil leak and the leak would be leaking on the o2 sensor and would cause it go bad. But we found out the problem was that when we extended the o2 wires so it will reach up to the downpipe, the wries were being rubbed up against the spinning axle. It tore apart the wires and they had to be reconnected. Check and make sure everything like that is ok. Other then that i dont know.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:09 PM   #8
Mirkwo0dForest

it's always good to secure your wires away from those axels...
Old 03-31-2004, 08:22 PM   #9
Operatic

nope, not the axles, and i checked the voltage, everythings fine... still not sure why =/
Old 03-31-2004, 08:45 PM   #10
thermal
Banning Machine

Too rich. Do you happen to have a high flow exhaust system? DO you have a stock cat? The primary O2 sensor will malfunction if you are holding back the exhaust gas..... this will happen if you do NOT have a high flow cat. It will cover the whole sensor with carbon build-up. You can use an O2 simulator as well. You can even build your own. Go to my website.

Also since you extended the wires, recheck to make sure you have good conductivity and that all wires have decent contact. Carefully inspect the wires for any sign of possible exposed wire.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:11 PM   #11
blind34_1

obviously the timing belt was part of my problem. but I was told that because of bad timing, I was running way rich, which severely shortened the life of the sensor. Also, I was getting horrid gas mileage, which either could have been a result of the bad timing or the sensor, or both.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 10:09 AM   #12
Operatic

Quote:
Originally posted by thermalfi'd16
Too rich. Do you happen to have a high flow exhaust system? DO you have a stock cat? The primary O2 sensor will malfunction if you are holding back the exhaust gas..... this will happen if you do NOT have a high flow cat. It will cover the whole sensor with carbon build-up. You can use an O2 simulator as well. You can even build your own. Go to my website.

Also since you extended the wires, recheck to make sure you have good conductivity and that all wires have decent contact. Carefully inspect the wires for any sign of possible exposed wire.

Ya, i have a high flow cat and exhaust system. 3" cat and 3" piping, i can't get anymore hi-flow than that.

Also, i checked the voltage on my wires and white wire is 1v and the green is 12v, and both the grounds are grounded, so i'm still pretty unsure. I even took out the o2 sensor the other day and theres only a speck of carbon build up. not a while lot, but it may have been enough to make it throw a CEL?
Old 04-01-2004, 02:58 PM   #13
Sivik

switch to OBD1... lol

on your stock header for the DX... is there a cat on it and is it before or after the O2 sensor? don't know my dx's right now...

My Car

My Car is for sale
Sivik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 07:45 PM   #14
Operatic

theres a cat on the stock DX header. and the o2 sensors are located just before and just after the cat, or what might be in the middle of the cat. i forgot now.