::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2004, 12:43 AM   #1
PeterV1228

Turbo'ing my 2002 civic ex

I'm planning on getting a turbo kit onto my sedan in a month or two. I have the boost and A/F Ratio gauges, as well as an ACT clutch (extreme?). I still need a boost controller and an exhaust.

I plan on getting the greddy evoII exhuast (3" catback), but i'm unsure whether to get a dual stage manual boost controller or electronic boost controller. Any reccomendations?

Hopefully all goes well. I think i'll be able to boost safely up to 8psi, should create 183whp and 189tq (i think tahts without an exhaust). How much would an exhaust add, i heard around 15-20 whp?

Later down the road i plan on getting some 15*7 rims+tires to get better traction.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:58 PM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

First off, which turbo kit are you planning on getting. Having a 7th gen civic, you really dont have so many options. The HP gain and torque that you have calculated is achievable depending on your set-up: fuel management (tuned) being the most important that will go along with the turbo size. However I doubt that you will gain that much power without a high flow exhaust system. That 3 inch" system may get you close.

As far as the boost controller, will never go back to manual after using both the GReddy profec-B spec1 and profec-B spec2. It is more expensive but it does make a difference. I think any electronic boost controller is better than any manual. A manual boost controller relies on spring tension (and its setting) to control boost, therefore will gradually open the wastegate as the compressor signal overcomes the spring tension. On electronic boost controllers, the head unit receives the signal from compressor and waits until the demanded set point is reached, then will send the signal for the solenoid/pump to open the wastegate in one full signal vice gradual (like what manual boost controllers do). This reduces lag.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 05:28 PM   #3
PeterV1228

Yeah, there really aren't many options. I've decided to get a Stafford Fabrications kit (website is http://www.staffordfabrication.com/m...d=4&menu =302 )

Alot of people have gotten it on the 7thgencivic forum and i think the numbers are correct. It says 3100 but i can get it for 2800 plus shipping. I'm not sure whether to get the equal length manifold (130 extra) or not, since i heard it reduces spool-up time.

I will probably get the greddy profec b II since many people are telling me to go electronic instead of manual.
Old 03-06-2004, 06:55 PM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

Check out the MaxRev kit as well...... www.maxrev.com

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 03-06-2004, 07:10 PM   #5
PeterV1228

I have checked them out. The big difference is that with the SF kit you get the fuel system with fuel management, and it costs less than the maxrev kit which doesn't have either!

I also picked up a clutch http://www.advancedclutch.com/catalo...ref=tg&tgid=20 (its the second one down) used off somebody, say they only used it for 500 miles. I believe this should be what i need when i get boosted.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:15 PM   #6
thermal
Banning Machine

I say the clutch now and wait until your stock one wears out. i dont see the reason why you want to change the clutch now. I have been boosting since 00 on stock clutch. It just now started acting up. Even at this rate, it still feels that I have another 6-12 months before it gives up on me....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 03-20-2004, 06:34 PM   #7
Sivik

so thermal, you finally got an elec boost controller... bout time.

yea, i've convinced many people to go with elec boost controller rather than manual. Profec B's are my favorites since they are relatively cheap for an EBC and its not hard to tune. My 2nd choice would be HKS cuz i just love HKS things lol.

My Car

My Car is for sale
Sivik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 09:32 PM   #8
thermal
Banning Machine

yep, had it for a while now

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum