::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2002, 02:05 AM   #1
bootstrap

I don't believe in God, i dont' believe in religion

Now i know most of you believe in some sort of God, go to church, you know follow the motions. But if you actually took time to think about it, there is no way that there is a "God" as we know it (not saying something didn't create matter, but its at least not what we think it is i.e. some being with human characteristics). I'm sorry, you can present your arguments and i will refute them all clearly and concisely, i always find it interesting to what people have to say about this subject since its very controversial and technically there is no right or wrong (but some things just make a hell of alot more sense than others).

Its called "brainwashing" folk.
Old 05-21-2002, 02:08 AM   #2
Maxvla

i have similar feelings as yours. so i have nothing to refute.

and i definately don't believe big bang or any of that scientific stuff.
Old 05-21-2002, 02:11 AM   #3
bootstrap

Well i am 99.9% sure that scientists have proved the universe is expanding. I mean, if god is so perfect , why would he create an expanding universe? Doesn't make sense now does it.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:56 AM   #4
Mushroom

You can't prove or disprove God clearly or concisely. In my experience, it's not worth arguing with those who think you can. So I won't.

I will agree with bootstrap that "some things make more sense than others." The cool thing is that those things are different things for different people.

Perhaps we can all agree (except for bootstrap, maybe) that it's great to be alive here and now, when we have the leisure to think about who we are, and who She is.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:53 AM   #5
Honda_Gurl

i don't understand how you can NOT believe in a God.. how could you look into those heavenly skies and think that there is NO God behind that.

plus, let's just say that you're right. there's no God.. what am i gonna lose? nothing cause then by the same means, there's no heaven or hell. but let's think for a minute. what if i'm right and there IS a God. what do u have to lose? everything...
Old 05-21-2002, 09:57 AM   #6
Honda_Gurl

Quote:
Originally posted by mt.biker

God does exists but you can't prove it with your scientific methods.

actually in a way it has already been proven. everything that the Bible has claimed to happen in the past, has been scientifically proven. the cities mentioned, all sorts of stuff has been found to prove the Bible correct. not too long ago, a bunch of scrolls were even found of the Bible that were dated back to that time.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:55 AM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda_Gurl
everything that the Bible has claimed to happen in the past, has been scientifically proven.

Actually, there are MANY things/events in the bible that have been more than likely disproven by scientists. I'm not against religion at all, I was brought up in a Christian school, but I have a harder time believing when some things just don't match up. Like the bible says that humans were created xthousands of years ago (not that long ago), but there has been evidence found of human life and other life well before that time.

Quote:
Originally posted by mt. biker
question for ya, if you could find out if there was a God would you try?

Yes, I would.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 02:06 PM   #8
Honda_Gurl

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
Like the bible says that humans were created xthousands of years ago (not that long ago), but there has been evidence found of human life and other life well before that time.

do u mean that evidence has been found that there was human life before the Bible claims?? cause if so that's not true. the Bible isn't specific as to when human life started, but it was WAY more than thousands of years. i mean the Bible even talks about humans walking with dinosaurs...
Old 05-21-2002, 02:38 PM   #9
Mushroom

Quote:
plus, let's just say that you're right. there's no God.. what am i gonna lose? nothing cause then by the same means, there's no heaven or hell. but let's think for a minute. what if i'm right and there IS a God. what do u have to lose? everything...

Honda_Gurl, I think you're cool and I totally respect your religiousness, but your argument is atrocious.

If I am motivated by the fear of hell eternal, and for this reason I become religious, do I have true faith? IMO, no. Further, with the knowledge than if I don't believe in God and there is a god I might be punished, then is it even possible for me to develop faith?

Quote:
Originally posted by someoneif you could find out if there was a god would you try

I think you can, and I do, every day. The search is what separates man from machine.

Alternately, for you who do believe in a God - if you could find out there wasn't a god, would you try? I know, I'll probably get the "I know there's a God, so there's no point trying to disprove it to myself" reply, but it's worth a shot...

Quote:
I mean, the bible even talks about people walking with dinosaurs

Right... and we know that's historically accurate...
Old 05-21-2002, 02:53 PM   #10
DsBlu01CivEX

I will NEVER judge a single person for what they believe in. Just because they believe in it doesn't mean that I have to. I don't see why everyone always likes to debate about religion. The agrument is never going to be solved, which means there are going to be a lot of pissed off people walkin around...on both sides of the argument. I know what I believe in and no one can change that for me except myself and the only way that I will change my view points is if I do the necessary research myself. Too many people claiming to be religious are the most hypocritical people I've met. I don't claim to be overly religious although I do go to church on occassion. I know I sin and I admit it. I have one of the foulest mouths of anyone I know. I drank before I was legal. If this means that I automatically go to hell then so be it. It's my destiny to go there then. It's something that I gotta live with in my head, no one else. Things happen on this Earth for a reason. I've learned never to regret anything because the second you do, is the moment that you second guess yourself and your judgement and become a weak person in my eyes. U gotta be somewhat proud of your decisions you make in life cuz they are what make you "you". I'm not sayin that some people don't make bad decisons and I'm not sayin that I don't make bad ones, but I learn(ed) from mine and all in all they have made me a better person.

http://www.myspace.com/kenike
DsBlu01CivEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 03:20 PM   #11
Honda_Gurl

first off, i just kinda wanna tell everyone that i, in no way, want to start any kind of argument. i have a strong faith, and a strong love for my Lord..and when discussions about Him arise, i definately want to get involved and try to stand up for what i believe or should i say know to be true. i know there are many many people who don't believe the way i do, and i will never disrespect anyone for that. and mushroom, i did not mean to say that anyone should be "scared" into their faith. i'm not the type to go and yell at people "you're going to hell!" i am in no position to judge anyone, because we are all sinful. i am not perfect by any means, but i know i'm forgiven, and that's the difference. all i meant by that statement, was what do u have to lose to try to believe in God? and to answer your question, if someone could prove to me that God didn't exist, or give me something even remotely questionable, then i probably would also doubt and might believe there was no God. but there has never been a time where i've heard something that made me doubt His existence. and for D - what you said about "religious" people being hypocritical, i know i've heard that before. i think the reason that is is because people have this idea that Christians are perfect, and they never sin again. so when you hear someone say drinking is wrong and then u see them have a drink, u say 'what a hypocrite' when in reality, it's just that we KNOW things are wrong, but sometimes we stumble and sin..i know i do (not with drinking, but other things)...
Old 05-21-2002, 08:02 PM   #12
DsBlu01CivEX

I guess what I meant by hypocritical I didn't necessarily mean by sinning only. My parents for example would be Christians I consider hypocritical. They go to church every Sunday, believe in God, pray, do things for church, are on a lot of the organizations and comittees at our church and are some of the most hypocritical people I've ever met. I thought that Christains are supposed to be accepting and understanding and forgiving of everyone...no matter their color, beliefs, background, economic standing etc. But no sooner do my parents get out of the church parking lot then are they speaking negatively about others and gossiping about others at the church and the wrong that they do. I know other people like this who are "good christians" not just my parents. I know that people sin...its sorta what we do...and I know that if we believe, we are forgiven.

http://www.myspace.com/kenike
DsBlu01CivEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 08:53 PM   #13
juvenile

bootstrap, can ask YOU a question. WHY did you post this? To brainwash us NOT to believe in God? Why not leave people the way they are. Religious arguments never ended good. Why trying another one?
Old 05-21-2002, 10:15 PM   #14
Kyle
elyK

ok...Honda Gurl...you said that everyone is sinful...but you are forgiven?...who forgives you?...and does anyone actually say..."You're forgiven."?
And is is "god" that forgives you?...and who is HE/SHE to judge others...and isn't judging others "sin"
i'm not sure if it is...but i would think it is...it kinda goes with gossip doesn't it?...i don't mean to target you...but i don't really understand "religion," and why it's here...

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 12:18 AM   #15
Violent Apathy

Moo.

First off, yep, i do believe in God. Do I believe in organized religion though? No. I don't see why i need some child molester telling me what i should and shouldn't believe. The fact that I even believe in God suprises me with how much my parents have turned me off to religion. You see, they're the classic hypocritical mexican catholics. They hang up religious pictures and stuff all over, but they go to church twice a month. Other than that, they don't practice their religion at all. They believe it's their DUTY to make me be catholic whether i want to or not despite the fact they dont' even practice catholocism(sp?) Hell, i know more about their religion than they do, and they still try and get me FORCE me to go to their church every other week. And Mobbo, i know you don't believe in God and i'm not trying to get you to, i could really care less about getting more people to, but as far as christians are concerned regarding what gives God the right to judge people, well, he's kinda God. There's my rant, and my first post.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
Violent Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 01:08 AM   #16
Maxvla

welcome to the club known around the world as HondaStyle.

interesting first post... i'll give you that.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:34 PM   #17
Boosted3g

Man all this negativity towards god, better hope he dont browse Hondastyle or theres a few people going to hell.
Old 05-22-2002, 09:42 PM   #18
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by Boosted3g
Man all this negativity towards god, better hope he dont browse Hondastyle or theres a few people going to hell.

My thoughts are to each his own.. You are entitled to beleive in what you want and not want. Because lets face it, who would win the debate... You obviously cant come up with a solid proof of evidence either way.

But I personally do beleive there is one. If you think less of me, good, because I personally dont care.
Old 05-23-2002, 12:30 PM   #19
Gator

My belief is that everyone is born with an instinct of knowing God. Some people listen to this instinct and develop it into a relationship. Others bury it. To try to defend the existance of God is like trying to prove that the wind blows. We see the effects of the wind blowing, but cannot provide actual tangible evidence of the wind. In the same way, we see the effects of God and His works here on earth...but how do you prove His presence?

I know of past historical events (wars, politics, etc) based on documentation passed down through the generations. I trust in this information as it has been regarded as a factual representation of prior events. I equally regard The Bible as God's documentation through others of His word and promsie for us.

God is very real and living. He is present with us every waking moment of our lives - the lives that He created. For those that choose to say He is not - have you ever really given Him a chance to show you otherwise?
Old 05-23-2002, 06:03 PM   #20
Kyle
elyK

i've tried going to church...praying...the whole deal..and once i was so depressed that he wouldn't talk to me, or help me in anyway...i started crying...
i didn't stop for a couple days...
right now...my life sucks...and "god" can't do shit about it...
there is no god..."the almighty"...yeah right

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 06:59 PM   #21
juvenile

ok, one thing about your situation...just because your life isn't great doesn't mean there is no God. My life is really messed up too, yet I still believe in God! What did you expect him to do, flower you with everything you want? That's not the way God works, and you see, he's teaching you a lesson now, he's testing your faith, and you are giving up easily (not sure of your situation so no flamin intended)
Old 05-23-2002, 07:13 PM   #22
toykilla

Re: I don't believe in God, i dont' believe in religion

Quote:
Originally posted by bootstrap
(not saying something didn't create matter, but its at least not what we think it is i.e. some being with human characteristics).

Who said the lord was a being with human characteristics?? In Moses, god was looked at as a burning bush. Maybe you should read more on the subject before you dont believe in something you know nothing about.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:52 PM   #23
Gator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobbo
i've tried going to church...praying...the whole deal..and once i was so depressed that he wouldn't talk to me, or help me in anyway...i started crying...
i didn't stop for a couple days...
right now...my life sucks...and "god" can't do shit about it...
there is no god..."the almighty"...yeah right

I read your comments and want you to know that I understand and respect what you are saying...but the thing is that it takes more than just going through the motions (if that's what you in fact did - I am not you and do not presume to know what your feelings were when you attended church and prayed). You have to really develop a relationship with God. Like any relationship, it takes time and effort.

He isn't necessarily going to suddenly appear before you and tell you what you need to know. He's much more clever than that. He puts people in your life that He works through - even in places like this... and He doesn't do things in our time frame or the way we think it needs to be done. God has a very distinct purpose and way of doing things. What we think we may need or want may not be what's best for us. Pray for patience and God might stick you in a traffic jam every day for a month. You prayed for it, so work on it. You see what I mean?

Just talk to him. Like a friend, or a father. Trust. Believe. And keep working at it. Thank Him, ask Him questions. Tell him how you feel. Every day. Most importantly - be sincere.. if you're mad at him.. tell him. He listens and He provides - always.
Old 05-23-2002, 10:14 PM   #24
juvenile

Gator...that's exactly what I tried to say...except much less educatamatly...with less fancier words

but yes...that's what I meant. Powerful words you obtain my friend
Old 05-24-2002, 02:24 AM   #25
Lovebuzz13

Oh no....Lovebuzz is about to post in a religion topic....

I was born and raised a Catholic, but gave that up as soon as I graduated High School.

Currently I am agnostic. I'd like to believe there is something out there.

However, the more I think about it the less I believe in god. I don't believe in heaven or hell, and there is really no purpose for a god.

If there was a god why would there be so much bad and evil in the world? Why would so many people be hurt by those they love?

I know everytime I prayed to a god there was never anyone there for me. How could I believe in someone who is supposed to always be watching us and there for us, but has never been there for me?
Old 05-24-2002, 05:46 AM   #26
Chief
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lovebuzz13
Oh no....Lovebuzz is about to post in a religion topic....

I was born and raised a Catholic, but gave that up as soon as I graduated High School.

Currently I am agnostic. I'd like to believe there is something out there.

However, the more I think about it the less I believe in god. I don't believe in heaven or hell, and there is really no purpose for a god.

If there was a god why would there be so much bad and evil in the world? Why would so many people be hurt by those they love?

I know everytime I prayed to a god there was never anyone there for me. How could I believe in someone who is supposed to always be watching us and there for us, but has never been there for me?

Okay, guess it's time for my two cents. Why would there be so much bad and evil in the world? Because He gave us free will and unfortunately many people choose to turn their backs on God. The fact that there is evil on earth should not be considered proof there is no God - it is simply a glimpse of the other side of things. God loves us enough to not treat us like puppets on a string. He gives us our own unique minds, bodies and choices to do with as we choose. He loves us so much that He gives us until our very last breath to turn to Him. That's pretty awesome if you ask me.

Gator put it extremely well - people tend to think they know what's best for them. That is not necessarily the case. If I pray each and every day for a million dollars, that doesn't mean that God is going to drop a big bag of money in my front lawn - because I don't need a million dollars. Now, if I pray for God to grant me some wisdom with my money and to help me budget my finances... that's different - that may be more along the lines of what He knows to be best for me. If I don't know what to pray for, I just tell Him that .. "God, I'm really struggling with my finances right now.. I am not sure what to do. Would you please help me see what things I need to do to fix it?" It's a matter of learning not to tell Him what we think we need, but to ask Him what He knows we need

I guess my thing is that if you gave up on church, so be it. But don't give up on God. At least still talk to Him and keep that part still going. I went through many years of not going to church and praying very very little, and in hindsight, I see how really lost I was. I also realize how thankful I am that He is so patient and how much better things are now that I've been including Him in my life.

Okay, I'll get down off my soap box. Just wanted to share my few thoughts on the subject....
Old 05-24-2002, 09:31 AM   #27
Mushroom

Well, I can't follow up Chief, but maybe my 2nd favourite author can (in reply to mobbo, bootstrap & toykilla's comments):

"If you pray hard enough, you can make water run uphill. How hard? Why, hard enough to make water run uphill, of course!"

"If the triangles made a god, they would give him three sides."
Old 05-24-2002, 03:13 PM   #28
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

A little long......

I do believe in God..and I do believe that he is watching over us. Like Chief said. "Why would there be so much bad and evil in the world? Because He gave us free will and unfortunately many people choose to turn their backs on God. The fact that there is evil on earth should not be considered proof there is no God - it is simply a glimpse of the other side of things. God loves us enough to not treat us like puppets on a string. He gives us our own unique minds, bodies and choices to do with as we choose." I was never forced to believe in God...I chose to. I never used to. I was blind, but when I came crawling back basically trying to turn my life around from Drinking/drugs/fighting. He still accepted me. As I was. As a person, and I think that makes him bigger then any person. Because 99.9% of people would still hold that over my head. And he won't. I am greatful of what I have and who I am. I try not to take anything for granted, from my girl friend, to my car, to the air that I breath and the food that I eat. To the clothes on my back, and the shelter over my head.
To say that their is no devil out there, is the funniest thing that I have heard. He wants you to think their is no God. And your being blind to the truth. I don't go to Church, I keep my relationship on a more personal basis with God. Everytime I have truely needed God he has helped me. From cleaning up, to surviving through multiple surgeries and givin a 0% chance of living. Now tell me their isn't a God and he didn't help me through that. I will laugh at you. I was givin a 0 yes I said 0% chance of living, my parents prayed. And Im here. Thanks to the lord. And to people who prayed for me. And to people who pray everyday for good things to happen in this world. I was a good thing that happend. Thank you.
Now argue with that.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 05:05 PM   #29
4jacks

I can't beilve I've been so out of it... that I missed this post !!! =(

Well everyone knows I believe in god, and I really think the christians here are just puttin it down !!!!!

Mad props to all my christian brethern !!! And my sista Honda_Gurl

I would just like to touch on two topic ... Organized Religion and Humility

Many people have stated that they really don't like organized religion or the church. (Many times stating the Catholic Church) Unfortunatly ... You can't just give up on organized religion... cuase that's our fancy bad word for fellowship... and Christ has called us to fellowship... it's absolutly nessocery to have fellowship in our lives... on our own the devil can easily conquer us and sway our thought... but together we are strong, and can show eachother the errors of our ways. I would really urge everyone who is a christian, or even just beilves that thier is a god, and dislikes organized reliogion... to really SEARCH for a church... all churches are very differerent... I'm learning that as I personally search for a church for my wife and I. Unfortunatly a lot of churches, just really aren't on Key with the word of god. the post important thing about a church is the Pastor... if the pastor isn't quoteing the bible to follow with his sermon, it's a good sign, that he making a lot of things up. Searching for the right church has taken me over a year and I still haven't found one the lord is calling me to... But I'm not dispairing over it I know the lord has a home for me. And I urge everyone to take the same patience.

To address the athesist (sp?) it all comes down to Humility ... If you are not willing to admit that man is absolutly powerless, you will never see a need to believe in god. God created us with a free will so you are free to not beilve in him, and that has given mankind a very proud and boastful veiw on the world. But if you look around your life and your circumstances, and give yourself an honest view, you will see that you are powerles... You can't control if your boss will fire you tommorow... you can't control if your wife will leave you, you can't save your dog from being hit by a car.... You are powerless to the circumstances around you. There are two Cosmic forces battling the circumstances around you, good and evil, God and the Devil, to say that they don't exist is the very first ploy of the devil. If you admit that good and evil exist, that you admit to the existense of a Higher power. Becuase Science, Evolution or anything can NOT provide you with a Conscience. It just can't... Lions do not feel sorry when stealing a dead carcass to eat from a Wolf... But the man who steals bread for his family still feels remorse...
To deny the existence of good and evil is just stupid
To admit that good and evil exist is to admit God and the devil exist
To admit that God exist, it stupid not to search for him
A true search for God, will lead you to Christ.

Proof that God exist...

My prayers get answered.
My boss doesn't fire me, my wife won't leave me, my dogs running around the yard and happy,

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 05:48 PM   #30
FasterThanLight

Is anyone familiar with Occam's Razor? The most logical explanation for something is the least complex one. This leads to "I see no God, therefore there is no God." Well, guess what? I'm not going to take sides. As Yoda would say, "My opinion matters not." Please take from Occam's Razor whatever you would like.

Regarding the Bible. It was written by Man as an interpretation of the "word of God". Any chance there were mistakes?

Regarding sin. What better way to keep the weak-minded from "misbehaving" than the threat of eternal damnation? If the only reason for a holier than thou attitude is to avoid going to hell, what the f is the point? Sacrifice personal freedom and enjoyment of life on the hope that there is a better life after death? One has to admit that one might be missing the only opportunity to enjoy consciousness. I refer back to Honda_Gurl's argument about what do you have to lose. I'm not picking on her. There's nothing wrong or right with living like there is/is not a God/Gods. I'll use the Mormon ritual of not using anything habit-forming. Can anyone honestly say that drinking beverages containing caffeine is reason enough to spend eternity in hell? What about the seven original sins.... Whoops, I got sucked in. Have a nice thread! Debating religion is interesting but difficult in person. Online, I say next to impossible, it is... Happy Honda'ing!!!!
Old 05-24-2002, 08:07 PM   #31
Chief
Banned

I don't not believe that the Bible was written by man as an interpretation of the word of God. I believe that the Bible was written by God through man. Do I believe that there were the chance of mistakes? No. God doesn't make mistakes.
Old 05-24-2002, 08:32 PM   #32
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

I'm a practicing catholic.
i have no time to elaborate on what I think.. But its beautiful to see so many of you believe. I thought I'd be the only one..
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 10:57 PM   #33
Maxvla

so many words... so many posts... at least we all have a stance on the issue. cept me. which i have no idea.
Old 05-25-2002, 12:52 AM   #34
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Try to..you would probably be happier knowing if or if not.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 08:34 AM   #35
4jacks

Quote:
Originally posted by FasterThanLight
Is anyone familiar with Occam's Razor? The most logical explanation for something is the least complex one. This leads to "I see no God, therefore there is no God." Well, guess what? I'm not going to take sides. As Yoda would say, "My opinion matters not." Please take from Occam's Razor whatever you would like.

Regarding the Bible. It was written by Man as an interpretation of the "word of God". Any chance there were mistakes?

Regarding sin. What better way to keep the weak-minded from "misbehaving" than the threat of eternal damnation? If the only reason for a holier than thou attitude is to avoid going to hell, what the f is the point? Sacrifice personal freedom and enjoyment of life on the hope that there is a better life after death? One has to admit that one might be missing the only opportunity to enjoy consciousness. I refer back to Honda_Gurl's argument about what do you have to lose. I'm not picking on her. There's nothing wrong or right with living like there is/is not a God/Gods. I'll use the Mormon ritual of not using anything habit-forming. Can anyone honestly say that drinking beverages containing caffeine is reason enough to spend eternity in hell? What about the seven original sins.... Whoops, I got sucked in. Have a nice thread! Debating religion is interesting but difficult in person. Online, I say next to impossible, it is... Happy Honda'ing!!!!

Dude, Occam's Razor has no practical application even in science. Example, following this theory we never would of guess Hydrogen has a completely different way of molecular bonding, hence given hydrogen molecule completely different charateristics... We would still be wondering why Water is the only liquid that expands when it freezes... we would be no where close to the technology that we have today... I mean this Occam guy lived in the Midevil times... NOTHING good came out of that whole era... This guy was a crack pot with a new name for a old Idea... LAZINESS... if I can't see it.. it's not worth worring about.. To live your life by this philoshophy is Foolish... and to base your beliefe in god on it ... well that's beyond foolish ...

To expand on your comment about mistakes in the bible.... NO ... the greek version of the bible was only recopied by monks until the photocopier came about... for centuries, only churches owned a copy..... Monks took several years making one copy of the bible in greek, working 15-20 hours a day sitting at a desk coping the bible... The kept a human hair, and used this hair to space the letters in thier copy. They would only Copy one Greek character at a time, the wouldn't look at the word "THE" and then write "THE" in thier bible. The would look at "THE" and write "T" look at "THE" and write "H". If they messed up any letter, they would rip the page up and start that page over. Each finished page was inspected by a superior before continuing.... SO NO ... man didn't Mess this one up.

And the Mormons aren't really mainstream Christianity, in fact, they are a cult that believes in work based religion. No you won't go to hell for drinking coffee... you won't go to hell for smoking pot... you wont' go to hell for murder, rape, or cross dressing... You will go to hell becuase you didn't place your faith in christ and will have to answer for those sins.

The point of hell is not to scare you into wanting to go to heaven, hell was created for Satan, it will be satans prison when Jesus comes back. No he won't rule over it.... he will probably suffer in it more than anyone... Well anyway... Gods going throw all the none believers in their too.

And Happy Honda'ing was mine gosh darn it ..

Happy Honda'ing
Old 05-25-2002, 04:14 PM   #36
LDJ

The number one cause of atheism is christians, I think a lot of people get turned off by god because of christians, because they here of a bad pastor or something bad went on in the church.

What everybody needs to realize is that we all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of god. WE ARE ALL HUMAN. I am a christian and I know there are many religons out there but we are a serving a living god, I can't see how people say they don't believe in got but yet if something bad happens i.e 911 everybody PRAYS, to whom are the non belivers praying to? Ofcourse god will still answer prayers, but why pray if you don't believe? Most religons talk about hell, where there will be whaling and nashing of teeth. I would hate to see any of my friends or family members go there and yes there is a hell. Even when darwin died he beacame a born again christian, and I see all these darwin emblems. I do not think less of a person if they are an unbeliever but I am sadden because of the place they are destined to go.

Answer me this, how do you explain people getting healed of cancer without a sign left in them, or how do you explain demons, yes there are demon possessed people, I have seen demons cast out of people and watched them slither on the floor like a snake. FREAKY STUFF

By the way didn't they pray in fast and the furious!

JUST MY FEW CENTS CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG
Old 05-25-2002, 04:51 PM   #37
4jacks

Quote:
Originally posted by LDJ
The number one cause of atheism is christians, I think a lot of people get turned off by god because of christians, because they here of a bad pastor or something bad went on in the church.

That's funny becuase the number one cuase of christians is christians.

There is definatly some truth that some people are turned off, by pushy christians, then they turn around and on TV some preist is being arrested, and if you veiw it as a whole it just doesn't make sense.

Happy Honda'ing
Old 05-25-2002, 08:22 PM   #38
Violent Apathy

Quote:
By the way didn't they pray in fast and the furious!

Yeah well i think most people on this board hated that movie ;P

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
Violent Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 01:01 AM   #39
iamsparticuz

Well after reading everyone's replies, I'd figure I would contribute my two cents. I’m actually glad that bootstrap posted this thread. I wanted to read what everyone's beliefs were since this topic is not often discussed.

I am catholic. I was raised catholic. I did not attend a catholic school so instead every Sunday I went to Sunday school. I pretty much didn't like going because I found it boring, like most kids do. I think I went to church twice within the last year. My dad is catholic and my mom is Methodist. She still attends the same church as the rest of us because "it’s a lot easier this way". My dad was raised catholic and he told me that his family did not discuss religion a whole lot, so naturally, that’s the way it was with my family.

I actually do not know what to believe. I do pray every night because nothing really bad has ever happened to me. Have you ever stopped to ask yourself, "Why are we here", which is basically the same as asking for what the meaning of life is, there is a point in which I ask myself, what “this” is. "This" being everything! How am I thinking? What is LIFE? What is all of THIS? How am I sitting here typing? What is matter? What is everything I know, everything I see? What is all of this which leads me to question this question, and how I am questioning this question? (Hope you understand) and with what, why. Etc. Sorry if you don't catch my drift, but it’s sort of hard to explain.

There are no answers to questions like these, and I’m not sure if there ever will be. I am also not sure if there is a god. How did we develop. Something "had" to have been created, materials, matter, and the big bang theory. Within that theory, how were all those chemicals or "reactants" created that caused the "bang", producing atoms and all that. Without it, what would "THIS" whole thing be, just blackness? How would it be black, because the universe is thought of in that way? Would it be anything?

All these questions lead us to believe that there MUST be some reason, some answer which we have yet to discover. I do not know how we just decided it was a supernatural being. Why wouldn't it be a group of beings or something we have never seen. When most of us think of god, well at least when I do, we don't picture a large giraffe. Most movies, TV, pictures, images, etc. usually display him as a large human or a human (homosapien) or something like that, just so it would relate to us.

Another thing that comes to mind when questioning god is the "conscience" (Hope I'm spelling that right). When most of us think about wrong and right we listen to our conscience which imo, is everything that we were raised to believe, by whomever. If we were told @ the age of 3 that scratching our arms is a sin, than we would try to follow that, that is if other things didn't contradict that. This is just a theory of mine, but when someone asks themselves.. "Is this right" or "am I doing the right thing" you mistake your conscience for trying to follow god, which is the "right" thing. You listen to your conscience, which is everything you were taught or learned, and then you decide. If you read something or learned something over the bible or about god, you would follow that. If there was REAL scientific proof that the bible was written by humans told to them by god than there would not be so much controversy over the whole topic. If it was a FACT that there was a god, than we would all believe it, but it isn't. It’s our human nature to question things, imo. If it’s not a fact, than how do we believe it’s true. Faith? Which is just really our yearning for that answer, those who believe in god believe in him for some reason. We cannot prove if there is a "wrong" or "right" answer to the fact that there is a god.

All these unanswered questions is what drives us to believe that there must be some higher being or at least something that did "this" all.

To those of you who believe that "all the non believers will go to hell and those who believe, will go to heaven," you were TOLD that, you did not ponder that up some night, you were told that by a source that cannot be proven, and if it could, than we would all believe it, its just your "faith" that drives you to believe this. I think its more so that you WANT there to be a god rather than the fact that you are searching for the answer. If this was not true, than you would be interested in what everyone's views were and why. Of course this could all revert back to good and evil, god and the devil, "god wanted us to have the choice". How can we "choose" if we don't know what's right, and this question reverts us back to our conscience and to our faith.

Sorry I just jumped @ chance to share my views about this.
There are a lot of other things I wanted to say, but I figured I would stop for now seeing how long it is.
Old 05-26-2002, 01:05 AM   #40
myself

Quote:

actually in a way it has already been proven. everything that the Bible has claimed to happen in the past, has been scientifically proven. the cities mentioned, all sorts of stuff has been found to prove the Bible correct. not too long ago, a bunch of scrolls were even found of the Bible that were dated back to that time.
what religion are you?