::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2002, 11:46 PM   #1
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Possible engine rebuild....need some ideas....

Some of you may have read my post about the possible hydrolock on my car. I've been toying with the idea of having it built up.

I'd like to get some stronger rods, pistons, & bolts at least. I don't want to lose my compression ratio (10.2:1). I may be adding a supercharger/turbocharger (likely some laughing gas as well) later, but I figure with a stronger bottom end there's no need to lower the compression. This car is very much a daily driver (50 miles a day just to/from work).

I'm not real concerned with the top end yet. In my opinion the cams should come last. I'd hate to get a set for N/A then end up going FI. Are titanium valve springs worth the money? What about new valves? I've heard good things about Ferrea.

Basically my questions are:

1. What "equipment" would you all recommend?
2. What type of pricing should I expect for the "equipment"?
3. What about an idea on labor pricing?
4. Anything else I should look into?
5. Places to buy?

BTW, I'll be replacing that fuggin' CAI with a short ram......
Old 06-15-2002, 11:58 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i would get some arias pistons, but decide if you are gonna get turbo or not, cause they have different rings($500), crower (sp?)rods(600), a new crank, some federal mogul rod and main bearings(200). for the valve springs i think you are looking at 5-600 for the titanium ones. from my understanding is that the titanium will close the valve faster, avoiding the valve piston contact at hight revs. also i heard that the springs will increase the redline.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 08:33 AM   #3
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

I've not heard of Arias (other than seeing it some sites). What makes one piston manufacturer better than another? Do they have some sort of warranty?
Crower was actually what I was thinking about as far as rods. What about bolts? Should they be replaced too?
Hmm.. I didn't think much about the bearings. The stock Honda crank I would assume could hold some decent power so I probably won't do that yet. I don't plan on making a track beast out of her. Yet anyhow.....
Yeah I thought that's what the titanium ones did. Just wasn't sure about that.

Thanks for the input so far......
Old 06-17-2002, 09:42 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

arias makes decent to good pistons, and i heard it being recomended a lot on AF/PH.

what bolts are you talking about ?

Old 06-17-2002, 10:03 AM   #5
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
arias makes decent to good pistons, and i heard it being recomended a lot on AF/PH.

what bolts are you talking about ?

Can't think of the name but they secure the rod to the crank.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:37 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

ohh i see. can't remeber the name, but can you take them out. i thoug they were casted in the rod. never seen a honda engine apart. i don't think you will need them

Old 06-23-2002, 10:34 AM   #7
Boosted3g

If you get the Crower rods ARP studs will be included in with them. I would go with a whole rotating assembly from Eagle. They will sell you a kit that includes the crank, rods, pistons, bearings and rings. You crank i highly doubt is bad but the Eagle kit has a lightened and balanced one. Anything under 400 hp i wouldnt worry about what pistons you put in. Arias, Weisco, Ross, JE, SRP, Rollerwaves, SPR, they will all take the abuse. To fix your motor the cheapest go get some Eagle rods and some JE's. Your block will be new and stronger than before.
Old 06-23-2002, 11:08 AM   #8
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Thanks for the input fellas.

Looks like they are getting me a new shortblock & "whatever else the Honda tech needs". Dunno what that's supposed to mean although I did have at least one bent valve.

I've knda come to the point in my life where I need to focus on other things. Like getting a house. Heh. So I may continue work on the Si, just not sure. Perhaps when i get it back I'll remember why I loved that car and my whole idea will change.......