::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Interior Modifications
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2003, 09:45 PM   #1
FausteVonHonda

How do you.....

How do you put flourescent lights behind the vents without obstructing airflow, and how can i make a switch to turn them on and off?
Old 02-11-2003, 10:51 PM   #2
sc0rch

you dont "make" a switch.....they shouldnt obstruct the flow too much but here is how you do the switch.....

some lights have a transformer inside the stupid little plug thing so you may need to take it out.......and your gonna need to mess with it so that it still works and is connected to the lights....

go to autozone or someplace and buy a toggle switch doesnt matter what size just find one you like..i bought blue ones that have light inside them so when ther eon the light makes the switch glow blue.......anyway

you can find a power supply like maybe in the fuse box(my car had extra fuse places so i didnt need to buy inline fuses)

after you found the power source yourt going to use wether it be directly from the batter or whatever you wanna make sure if it isnt already fused(like the fuse box) to buy some inline fuses..prolly 5-10 amp. now figure out where you are going to mount the toggle switch.....

next you are going to need a ground wire...so find a good place to to ground too on the frame or make a place with either a bolt or self tapping screw.....

now once you have everything ran go ahead and attach the power from your source to the power on the switch..and the same with the ground......now attach the power from the lights to the other power on the switch(this is what makes it turn on and off) and the ground you can if you want connect it to the ground on the switch,it doesnt really matter if you make a seperate ground for the lights....prolly easier to just run it to the switch...once everything is connected turn it on and poof it should work......i hope i explained it ok if not just ask questions and i'll help you out some more

i'll make a couple PSP diagrams for you too real quick so sit tight if your still online
Old 02-11-2003, 11:07 PM   #3
sc0rch

kinda small but i hope this helos.....it's made for using the battery as the power and with the transformer with the neons.....

if your neons dont have the transformer just skip that part and run them straight into the switch......and if you decide to use the fuse box for the power source skip the inline fuse part........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diagram1.jpg (22.4 KB, 78 views)
Old 02-12-2003, 10:42 AM   #4
FausteVonHonda

thats semi clear, but i still dont under stand the fuse things
Old 02-12-2003, 12:32 PM   #5
krz2fer
2nd Gear

I understand this pretty much because I installed LED windshield lights and used my cig lighter power source (12v), hooked up to a switch... but where do you get these neons for the vents? Can you post a pic or something so I can see what they look like in the car? I might wanna do this....

---
"Aim for the sky, straight into the sun."
krz2fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 09:46 PM   #6
JamieS697

go to the civic forum and find mischeifs post on his diy interior he has a pick of what the vents look like sorry tried to link it but didnt work
Old 02-13-2003, 12:23 AM   #7
sc0rch

they are just 3inch lights....i havent put any in mine i just know cause of mishciefs car has 3inchers in his.......

as for the fuse thing.......

the fuse is just gonna protect your lights...if a surge of power happens to shoot through the wire or you get a short somewhere you wont lose your neons if they have a fuse........

autozone or someplace has little inline fuses that look like this one in the pic....

ok now the reason you might need it is if you are running your power straight from the battery or another power source that isnt already fused...........if you do it that way all you have to do is stick the fuseable link closest to the powersource you can..try and keep it no more than 12 inches from the power source...........

but you can check the fusebox in your dash and see if it has any open spots for extra accessories..........
Old 02-13-2003, 12:24 AM   #8
sc0rch

oops forgot to add this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuseholder.jpg (18.3 KB, 53 views)