Old 11-12-2004, 02:23 AM   #1
CD5Passion

and I continue to lose faith

just giving me another reason to shaked my head at religion
http://www.baptistpress.org/bpnews.asp?ID=18037
Old 11-12-2004, 05:46 AM   #2
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I counted the phrase"postmodern" in there 8 times. How fucking pathetic. But then again, in an automotive sense, people have started comparing Mustangs to Corvettes. How one car is the "poor man's sports car" can rise to rival the car that most middle-aged men with small penises and too much money aspire to own, Kurt Cobain now rises to rival jesus...at least that's what this article would suggest. Finding any sort of religion in Cobain or his death is ridiculous...and using the term "postmodern" only makes it moreso. He died...he's dead. Jesus died too. But hey...cancel easter...they found the body. You also have to consider the source...baptists. Baptists have fought tooth and nail against things that are considered mainstream thought these days. They still hate Disney for giving same-sex partners of employees benefits. With their intolerance they're almost as bad as mormons. But then again...when it comes to intolerance...no one is worse than mormons. At least not under the blanket of christianity.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 05:48 AM   #3
AzCivic

uhh huh? why would that make you want to shake your head at religion? because they analyzed someone who seemed to have it all but couldnt fill a certain void, not w/ drugs, alcohol or money, the void became too much so he killed himself. is that why?
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 06:00 AM   #4
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
uhh huh? why would that make you want to shake your head at religion? because they analyzed someone who seemed to have it all but couldnt fill a certain void, not w/ drugs, alcohol or money, the void became too much so he killed himself. is that why?

I think he meant that it was sad how that article was analysed. Cobain's death has nothing to do with religion. It's more of a matter of personal choice...albeit a bad one. I'll be the first to admit Cobain was a pussy for taking the easy way out...but portraying itin a religious sense is not only wrong but disrespectful.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 11-12-2004, 06:04 AM   #5
AzCivic

i thought they were just showing that having everything isnt going to make you truely happy(implying that religion was what he needed to fill that void), and used him as an example...
Old 11-12-2004, 06:25 AM   #6
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I don't know...they kept using "postmodernist thought" as if it were a detractor to their faith. Like living life for yourself and not for their god was wrong. Sure...given their inclination I can understand that, but it's fairly subjective and suspect to scrutiny. In my opinion, if I thought Cobain had killed himself (and the jury's still out on that), it has more to do with depression than spirituality. They kept pointing to his parent's divorce as well as if that sent him over the edge which also makes me a bit weary of the article. Over 50% of marriages end in divorce these days. Last I checked the suicide rate was not anywhere near 50%.

Old 11-12-2004, 06:30 AM   #7
AzCivic

yeah that whole "postmodernest" thing was kinda weird, reminds me of the whole anti-rock and roll deal back in the day.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:44 AM   #8
CD5Passion

"Taken to its logical conclusion, this philosophy is unstable, irrational, pessimistic, and results in hopelessness. Tragically, it is becoming the dominant worldview of our day. (Boggs)"

"Easter’s empty tomb provides absolute hope. Postmodernism’s radical relativism provides absolute emptiness. Just ask Kurt Cobain.(Boggs)"

these two passages bother me more than the others. how can you compare a artistic movement to religion. It makes it sound like Cobain killed himself in a effect to be like christ to the people.

and to veer sligtly from topic with what steve said. I agree he was a pussy for killing himself, a guy i went to school with hanged himself last week and i refused to even pity him. how can I pity someone who was such a coward. It bothers when someone close to others kills themselves and they are mourn him and talk about how good of a person he was.....how can you honestly sit there and talk about someone and make them into a martyr of hope for others?