::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2002, 03:46 PM   #1
CannonCivic

Building a box

Does anyone know where I can get some plans for building a custom sub box?
Old 04-17-2002, 07:56 PM   #2
black95gs-t

what kind and how many subs? what kind of music do you listen to? and what amp do you have?

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 08:23 PM   #3
CannonCivic

I am thinking about 3 15's. I don't have an amp yet. I liksten to rap and some techno.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:40 PM   #4
Maxvla

with 3 fifteens.. the better question is... what kinda of ampS do you have? need more than one amp for that many subs.

rap/techno... hmm.. im thinking bandpass... low but not as low as sealed but more volume from the ports...

whaddaya think black95gs-t?
Old 04-17-2002, 11:43 PM   #5
black95gs-t

i think..... uh...... IN A CIVIC?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 3 15's???? let me just put it his way. not only will you need ampS like max said, but you will need much dynamat(if you don't want to vibrate your car to death), 1 inch MDF, depending on which ampS you go with you will probably need another battery, maybe an alternator respin, and probably won't have a trunk when its all said and done. and if you want to hear you mid's and high's, you guessed it. replace em all and an amp for those too. hey its your money and car though. but don't expect to win any races. if you get the right stuff, i bet it'd sound pretty good though. just out of curiosity. which 15's? 3 15's in a civic. dang. not the most i've seen though. i have seen 8 12's in a 2 door cavalier. and 8 15's in a 1/2 ton chevy with no bed cut. but most impressive would have to be emma gates with 48 12's in a bronco. that is cool. and very very loud.

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

Old 04-18-2002, 12:20 AM   #6
Maxvla

hey black95gst... first off... i need something to call you instead of your nick... its just too uhh... hard! haha.

second. back in the day... my dad had a box where it was 2 pieces of 1/2" mdf (or whatever the equivalent was back then) sandwiching a 1/2" of sand. it absolutely thumped. he's lost it somewhere so... i was wondering if you would think that would be a good idea or a bad one? lol.
i could build it easily in my dad's shop hes a carpenter...

ps. maybe some baling wire to help hold his civic together... lmao!
Old 04-18-2002, 03:45 AM   #7
black95gs-t

i've never heard of anyone actually doing that. i do know that a full sheet of 3/4 at home depot is only like $20 - $25. i am not sure if you can actually even get 1" during this time of the year though. but that box does sound rather time consuming and difficult as opposed to 1", but it does sound effective. incredibly heavy, but somewhat effective. in theory that is. if you try it let me know how it turns out.
JON

Old 04-18-2002, 06:01 AM   #8
Maxvla

i probly am not going to build it... but its an idea floating in my head...

thanks jon. (ahh much better)
Old 04-18-2002, 11:47 AM   #9
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

lol with 3 15" all u need to do is pop up the trunk, pump up the volume and put the car in neutral. it will move by itself

my brother wants to put 2 15" in his integra. he has the rockford Fostgate punches i think, and he needs a box too. what to look for ? What amp does he need ? i guess he was looking at a 750W one.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 01:35 PM   #10
Maxvla

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
lol with 3 15" all u need to do is pop up the trunk, pump up the volume and put the car in neutral. it will move by itself

my brother wants to put 2 15" in his integra. he has the rockford Fostgate punches i think, and he needs a box too. what to look for ? What amp does he need ? i guess he was looking at a 750W one.

god... that gave my quite a chuckle.

750 aint bad.. if they are the low end punches i'd say stop there... there are like 5 different punch series... so further clarification is needed.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:23 PM   #11
CannonCivic

i was thinking about some infinity subs. maybe i only need two...three would cost a lot to power. i was definately planning on dynamatting. what kind of amp would you recommend in powering 2 infinity 15's?
Old 04-18-2002, 04:54 PM   #12
black95gs-t

which infinity's? plus IMO i like infinity mid and high's much better than their subs. i'll tell you what i would wait for. JL is rereleasing the W-6. but they have made a few changes to it to make them more efficiant (yes i am very aware that i am a horrible speller.), higher power handeling, and more musical. they look just like the W-7's. they are scheduled for release i think this summer. but you know how JL can be, they push everything back. they are called the W-6v2. i am gonna get some as soon as they will let me buy them factory direct so i can try em out in my sisters car. oh and max..... the only reason i would even see a need for a box that extreme is competition. and i'm not talking regular competition, i'm talking being able to compete with the 48 12's competition. thats an insane box design. Jon

Old 04-18-2002, 04:56 PM   #13
black95gs-t

which fosgates subs? and are they SVC or DVC?

Old 04-18-2002, 05:44 PM   #14
CannonCivic

well, i don't think that infinity makes 15" subs. what about 3 infinity reference 12's? they are 300w, so should i look into getting a 1000w amp? 48 12's in a bronco? that's friggin insane. do you know where there are pictures of it?
Old 04-18-2002, 06:53 PM   #15
CannonCivic

I am seriously considering getting this amp I found on eBay. It is a $400 amp and I have read nothing but good reviews. It is a dutch auction and the price is only $247. Its 1000w, which is just what I want. The auction ends in 10 hours, so I need some input tonight. Thanks. Heres the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1346736084
Old 04-19-2002, 12:14 AM   #16
Maxvla

infinity has never made a 15" sub. so that kills them.. their perfect line aren't bad. a pair of 12's of those would do what you want i believe... but damn you gotta step up to the plate with 2 15's. i'd say cerwin vega stroker 15's (495.00 each) or audiobahn aluminum series 15's (299.00 each) if limited on funds i'd stick with a pair of kicker compvr dvc 15's for 139.00 a piece.

the only problem with that amp... which its a great amp is that it has no internal crossover which means you'd actually hafta buy something else before hooking it up. kinda weird why they didn't put one in. cause you hafta have a crossover to limit the frequency since subs aren't engineered to play anything above 400 hz really. putting a full signal through a sub will actually do damage. so be careful. and if you do get this amp... get two. you'll need them. 300W on a 15 won't cut it. 1000 is a bit overstated... more like 800 which would be ok depending on your sub choice. the kickers won't be able to hold quite that much constantly but the other two will. if going with kickers just get one. they will be a bit underdriven but better under than melted subs.

and jon... i think i might just build that box just cause i can... it'll be badass. and since i have a freakin slow car anyways... so be it.

im seriously considering getting one 15" with that box. i have absolutely no money to do this with but... i would like to get the 15. my friend had a 15 xpl just one in a civic hatch and it slammed the bass down. so im thinking i don't need two. and with that box it'll be that much better.

ive never built a sub box so i'd like some help with dimensions and best ways to put the wires through... i mean which hardware is best. since i'll have sand in there i'll hafta put a tube for the wire to go through. damn this is gonna be a killer box. ive got a trapezoidal double 12" 1/2" mdf box right now.. and im thinking of making this one square... what do you think? i know the dimensions will depend on the sub's cubic inch air needs so.. yeah.

dang that was long. sorry! lol.
Old 04-19-2002, 02:23 AM   #17
Maxvla

btw... i happened upon this little gem of a box tool. its software to get precise measurements for speaker boxes.
its kinda complex so it may not be for you... give it a try its a small dl and best of all... its FREE! at least the sealed box designer is.

http://www.ajdesignsoftware.com/
Old 04-20-2002, 12:35 AM   #18
black95gs-t

i don't think you should. first its a refurb, second its got insanely high distortion, third its an infinity amp. and no that amp will NEVER see 1000 watts. max seriously, unless you had a box with like 2 stroker 18's or like 4 stroker 15's that you would not be using for sound but strictly competition, you don't need that box. i'm just tryin to save you alot of frustration, money, and time. the box alone i think might weigh at least 100 pounds. which with the speaker is a whole other person riding around with you all the time. and yes i agree with the strokers, personally i dont care for anything audiobahn. max you know what you need?
2 stroker 18's. and 4 amps for em. 2 for each one. as far as materials go, home depot has everything. get some MDF, or HDF if you want to splurge, liquid nails, clear multi purpose sealer, nails for a nail gun, a nail gun if you don't have one, saw, if you want vinal or carpet, uh.......screws if you are getting the strokers, uh.......... thats it for now.

Old 04-20-2002, 01:06 AM   #19
Maxvla

lol... it's nothing serious... just a project. won't be too expensive to build and it'll be interesting.

my dad has all the stuff layin in his shop. so its really nothin out of pocket... just time. which i would be willing to part with just to have something interesting to do.

i dont know how i want to finish the outside of the box... carpet, paint... umm. i'll end up fastening it to my trunk somehow cause the box i have just slides around while i do 100 through the s's. (j/k about 100... ok 85... hehe)

oh and btw. once i build this thing... i'll hafta wait like 4 months before i can get a better amp! haha. mine now is a mono kenwood sub amp which moderately powers my tornado kenwoods.

i want the box as small as possible cause thats the only reason i can think of to tell my dad i want to build a box. he's not too cool about my system but he's passive about it.
what 15" subs can work in a "proportionally" small box? i know it hasta be pretty sizeable just cause its a 15.
ive had 12's forever. im tired of not having enough volume and lowend extension.

unfortunately my spending cap for the sub is gonna be about 200-250 bucks. i know... you are cringing at the thought. i might stretch to 300 if i find just a killer deal. then by mid summer i might be able to get an amp say 400 bucks or so.
slim budget i know... but kinda doable.
i'm not quite on your eschalon.
Old 04-23-2002, 03:45 PM   #20
black95gs-t

is that 200 to 250 per sub? or 200 to 250 for both? do you still have that friend at the stereo shop? if so what brands does he sell? believe it or not the solobarics take insanely small boxes for their size. or you could get one jl 13w-7. that box will not be very small. the cubic footage need for the speaker is not measured on the outside of the box, its measured on the inside. so the thicker each wall is, in your plan 1 1/2 inches, the bigger the box will be. i'm serious though, that is going to be a time consuming ***** of a box to build.

Old 04-24-2002, 01:40 AM   #21
Maxvla

just one sub. no real connections at the local shops... but i may be able to get something decent off of ebay if its new... and are you talking about the square solobarics? or the rounds? cause the squares are outrageously priced. i'll look at the jl audio sub you mentioned. yeah i know the volume is measured on the inside... (not a stereo guru.. but still know that!)
my parents don't want me spending money... so if i build this thing it'll hafta be built up at work so they don't see it... yuck. i may not just for that reason... damn parents.
Old 04-24-2002, 02:55 AM   #22
black95gs-t

solobarics only come in a square design. but yeah thats what i was talking about. you could get 2 jl 15 w-0's or maybe if you want to splurge a little 2 15 w-3's. they are not too bad especially on the internet.

Old 04-24-2002, 09:12 PM   #23
Maxvla

scrap the box... and the 15. parents f_in suck. not about the box just generally pissed at them right now. so. not doing anything. don't really want to talk about it.

and i do know the solo's only come square now... they were round before though... which is what i was referring to. im sure you know that.

maybe i'll build this thing in 20 years.
Old 04-25-2002, 12:51 PM   #24
black95gs-t

don't you just love parents?????? my mom told me i can't buy a bike. so this weekend i'm headed to my local ducatti dealer.