User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2003, 09:31 PM   #1
G-M-W
2nd Gear

engine swap

i dont know much about this but maybe u guys can help

first off which engine would be good to put into my civic for some more power....i know u guys know alot about this stuff...nows the time to show it off.

Can u tell me what engine goes with what code

Which integra engines are good
which is best for turbo/supercharged
which is best normal

is it possible to keep power steering and air conditioning

i know i sound like a huge noobie, but i gotta learn this stuff sometime

ok thanks
G-M-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 09:40 PM   #2
AzCivic

I say just turbo the engine you got.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 10:53 PM   #3
nonovurbizniz

stick with your d series... I'm w/ az on this... you can make that plenty fast... if your gunna go NUTS with it and dump TONS of money into it then swap... but I'd recomend sticking with what you got till you know enough to make your own decision.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:55 PM   #4
nonovurbizniz

all integra engines are "good"

ls/rs= b18a/b non-vtec (good for boost)
gsr=b18c1 vtec (dual stage intake runners open at 4-5 and taller lobes start working at like 6-7 or so..) (ok for boost)
typeR=b18c5 vtec (probobly fine for boost but REALLY expensive if you F up during tuning.)

civic si/delsol si=b16a1/2/3 vtec (good for boost)

your d16 is great for boost too though..
Old 05-21-2003, 11:08 PM   #5
RavingCivic

wont D16 internals completly turn to SH*T if u boost too much???
and how much can u boost a d16 anyways like 6-7 psi? that is only half a BAR, my friend has a RX-7 pushing 16psi and he still only running 13's if u could run 14 psi on a d16 u will get to what, 14's at best? Still cant keep up with a V6 camaro, and aint that the point in Boosting? to beat American carZ asses
Old 05-21-2003, 11:20 PM   #6
nonovurbizniz

you can run 10-12 safely on a d16...

endyne runs WAY more than that on stock internals... it's just a matter of tuning and keeping temps down...

and if you think getting a civic into the 13's or even 14's is nothing then... you have WAY WAY more money than me...

to dude who posted question

what's your budget?
Old 05-21-2003, 11:21 PM   #7
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by RavingCivic
wont D16 internals completly turn to SH*T if u boost too much???
and how much can u boost a d16 anyways like 6-7 psi? that is only half a BAR, my friend has a RX-7 pushing 16psi and he still only running 13's if u could run 14 psi on a d16 u will get to what, 14's at best? Still cant keep up with a V6 camaro, and aint that the point in Boosting? to beat American carZ asses

if you boost any engine too much the internals will go.

you can boost 10psi on stock internals, as long as the fuel is there.

you cant compare an rx7 with a civic, that car was meant for boost, as in if it didnt have it, the car would suck ass.

you can get into the 14's easy with the greddy kit(like 7psi). so at 10psi you better be in the 13's.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:23 PM   #8
nonovurbizniz

I'm also not recomending this if he wants a track car... a boosted d16 will be more than fast on the street and with 10psi you should be able to beat v6 camaro's w/o getting on it too hard...

you could probobly run with stock v8 mustangs and maybe camaro's

PLUS... if we're on backroads aint NO camaro or mustang or any american car for that matter that could hang with my car and I"m still on stock springs and shocks... with 150k+

and the whole point was for him to spend time tuning the car and working on it so he could gain more experience before jumping into a swaped civic.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:43 PM   #9
AzCivic

You could resleeve/bore the block upgrade the pistons/rods and run like 20+psi. you should beat a few domestics with that setup.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:27 AM   #10
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
PLUS... if we're on backroads aint NO camaro or mustang or any american car for that matter that could hang with my car and I"m still on stock springs and shocks... with 150k+

im sorry but your civic is not going to outhandle a mustang GT on any roads......unless the driver is a complete newbie.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 02:35 AM   #11
slowEJ6

anyway, on your EX motor. you can use toyota 1G-GTE pistons (dont forget the 1G piston rings too) w/ b16a rods & rod bearings and thats good for about 1.2bar if not a little more with PROPER/GOOD tuning......the block has to be notched for the rods but thats no biggie......

dont forget ecu/fuel management either......but this should easily get you in the 12's.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:16 AM   #12
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by slowEJ6
anyway, on your EX motor. you can use toyota 1G-GTE pistons (dont forget the 1G piston rings too) w/ b16a rods & rod bearings and thats good for about 1.2bar if not a little more with PROPER/GOOD tuning......the block has to be notched for the rods but thats no biggie......

dont forget ecu/fuel management either......but this should easily get you in the 12's.

yup, yup
Old 05-22-2003, 11:32 AM   #13
G-M-W
2nd Gear

do u guys know of any good sites i could check this stuff out on

thanks
G-M-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 12:23 PM   #14
AzCivic

What do you want to know?
Old 05-22-2003, 12:26 PM   #15
nonovurbizniz

there is/was a guy on honda-tech selling the set-up mentioned...

the small end of the b16 rods need to be machined to accept the toyota wrist pins though... or maybe it's the pistons that need to be machined... either way you can't just slap them in...

and as far as my civic not beating a mustang gt.... maybe not but I'd put 20 bucks on it. I've taken all sorts of "better handling" cars in my car... and LOTS of them were trying to keep up... sure you can brush that off as them not having the nutz or being more concerned for their well being but my car handles GOOD...

my buddy with a turbo ii (rx-7) comments all the time about how tight my car is... I have the es bushing master kit in it. I can take all sorts of cars in corners... especially since I can floor it in the apex and they can't.

In a road race if I'm in front I'd make it through the corner faster and quicker than a gt... if it was in front I wouldn't be able to keep up going into it or out of it once they're out enough to get on it... but around the corner I'll take it. Good driver and all. Those things pull like .85 lateral g's I'm above that NO question.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:31 PM   #16
slowEJ6

these are all just assumptions to be honest.....when youve actually DONE it.....then you can say that no Mustang/Camaro can hang with you in the backroads.....
a buddy of mine used to have a 2k GT w/ upgraded suspension and that thing stuck to the road like cat litter to shit - i loved it - that car changd my outlook on domestic handling.

i believe you when you say your car handles good....but outcornering any mustang/camaro just doesnt sit right with me....
Old 05-23-2003, 08:20 AM   #17
blind34_1

one other thing about THE SUBJECT AT HAND...

I'm quite sure you cannot put an older engine into a newer car. Meaning that, to be legal, the engine you buy must be at least a 2000. This I think would be quite hard to come across. Working with your current engine I think would be best just for that reason.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 11:46 PM   #18
slowEJ6

yeah it is illegal to swap an older engine into a newer car.....but if you dont have smogging, who is gonna know?
Old 05-24-2003, 12:46 AM   #19
nonovurbizniz

Just about any non-modded honda motor will pass exhaust emmisions testing... new or old they're ALL very efficient cars..

for example (can't find the sheet w/ the numbers but). when I got my emissions done in ct they give you a print out and my engine was WAY WAY below what it was allowed to be at... in ALL areas.

there are 2 or 3 things they test for and I was under half of the limit for my car on all of them.

which means (at least here) that I could have an engine that ran a LOT more gas through it w/o failing. or even drawing attention.

course now ct is moving emission testing to private shops... that should be interesting... gunna be LOTS of people taking advantage of that.