FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2002, 09:08 PM   #1
Fatal070

which intake whats the diff?

what is the diff between short ram intakes and cold air intakes ? j/w
Fatal070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 11:44 PM   #2
NCSTYLE

Ram air brings air in from the engine so the air is rather hott. A cold air intake brings it in from under the car so its colder.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:53 AM   #3
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

NCSTYLE is right, and I just thought I'd add that colder air will make more power.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 03:04 AM   #4
ZeroAccess

Ram Air is made for certain applications like if you have a ram-air hood and stuff like that

the cold air is positioned right in front of your passenger tire
if you take out your stock airbox and resonator and all that plastic crap you'll see a hole stick the piping thru there and remove the tirewell crapola (black stuff) lol and slap the filter on...tighten and hear that baby whistle :-D
Old 04-07-2002, 08:37 AM   #5
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

it has basically been told but w/ the short ram you are sucking in more warm air from it crculating under the hood. The Cold air Intake (CAI) will extend you past that and down and out of the engine bay to where all the good cool air is coming in.

for the $ you are alot better off w/ the CAI. You will have a nice sound and a few more HP Gain w/ it.

Good luck w/ the purchase...CAI all the way..........
Old 04-08-2002, 12:24 PM   #6
Kalakas

yea unless you have one of those vented hoods, a cai is the better bet. if you plan on having like a vented carbon hood down the line a short ram would suffice.
Old 04-08-2002, 09:10 PM   #7
SlikVic

but what are the dissadvantages with a CAI, i heard that if it is raining bad, they can screw up your engine?
and why do some people chose short intakes over CAI, i personelly can't understand why people dont chose CAI!
can you please help me!!
Old 04-10-2002, 10:03 PM   #8
PabloHoney

CAI == more money, simple as that. If it is raining out you won't ruin your engine. The only thing you have to worry about with a cold air is submerging the filter in water, even partially. Think about the vacuum that is created in your manifold (usually 12.5 - 15 inches of vacuum). That is enough to suck up some water fast. Anyway, the "short ram" intake has nothing to do with ram air....they just call it that. Vented hoods and the such ain't gonna do crap unless you have a true ram air induction system and you are going at least 40 mph (even then it is minimal). Point made: get CAI, and if you are worried about the water thing, just get a bypass valve made by AEM that won't allow water to be sucked in.
Old 04-12-2002, 02:02 AM   #9
yelizardking

how much is the bypass valve and is it effictive?
Old 04-12-2002, 09:41 AM   #10
PabloHoney

Very effective, and I am not sure on the cost. The guy who either runs/owns AEM has an NSX that they used it on to test it. He put the end of his intake in a fish tank full of water, with bypass valve installed and started it up. Sucked water about quarter-way up the pipe, and the valve kicked in. Water level stayed there, so they ran it up into VTEC, the water rose a little bit, but it never got to the valve. Good thing to have.