::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2001, 11:57 PM   #1
Ex-Tdo4

I Want to DisEngage my VTEC!!

ok, i know the subject sounds stupid, but i was wondering of i could take out my VTEC all the way, i mean it kicks on at around 5.5k rpm anyway so that doesn't help.. my turbo is spooling like crazy by then anyways. But the main reason that i want to disengage it is because when VTEC engages,, your timing curve goes really high therefore making your motor even more prone to detonation especially at high RPMS, but i know i'll get a CELL and then go into limp mode if i take out the VTEC. Well my friend can reprogram ECU's, my ECU is still programmed for Naturally Aspirated, so right now my timing is way high anyways, but im planning to up the boost to around 8-9 lbs, so i need to reprogram it back to stock, but i was thinking,,, hmmm..... maybe i can have VTEC engage at around 7500 RPM so i'll never have to worry about it and i'll get no CELL!!!! what you guys think??? did i discover something?? most motors blow at high RPMS, but i think with the sufficient amount of fuel and no VTEC... i'll be able to boost 8-9lbs safely!!! any comments on this subject will be greatly helpful, later :p
Old 09-21-2001, 12:48 AM   #2
MrCLoWnY

hmmm. i have heard that disengaing vtec on SOHC is pointless but i forgot the reason y. sorry but i would discourage you from doin it. LAters.
Old 09-21-2001, 09:17 AM   #3
Boosted3g

I would leave thye Vtech engaged. As far as the timing goes just retard the base timing a little of get a BTM to take some out under boost. If im not mistaken if you disconnect the Vtech selenoid you will get a code 22.
Old 09-21-2001, 10:52 AM   #4
MrCLoWnY

Quote:
Originally posted by Boosted3g
I would leave thye Vtech engaged. As far as the timing goes just retard the base timing a little of get a BTM to take some out under boost. If im not mistaken if you disconnect the Vtech selenoid you will get a code 22.

Told you it was a bad idea. I have heard that in DOHC vtec motors there are issues about the vtec engaing and causing problems. however the sohc motor's vtec was meant for fuel economy rather than performance. SO you won't run into having real big problems. Neways. whatever you do good luck and tell us how it goes.
Old 09-21-2001, 11:53 AM   #5
Ex-Tdo4

hmmm...

i guess i'll reprogram it back to stock. I really wanted to sell my ECU and get a stock one, but im in a rush to up my boost, so I'm being impatient with finding someone to buy my ECU so i can use their stock one. I'll miss my ECU though, i was running like 15.7-15.9 all day with it. With turbo im running like high 14's, but i think i need a stock ECU so i can turn up the boost, but i really liked the fuel curve i have now on the ECU, o well..... stock it is... i'll let every1 know how my car is going to run with 8-10 lbs boost. later gaters
Old 09-22-2001, 12:09 AM   #6
thermal
Banning Machine

i would NOT do it neither bro. besides what boosted said, i also wanna point out to you that td04h is not a big turbo. this means that the boost will not hold long. after the engine picks up the load at high RPM band, your boost pressure reading will eventually slowly drop. at this point, your VTEC will help you maintain the power at a higher REV. look at it this way, while the turbo pressure is coming down, your VTEC will take over and keep up with the performance...........IMO

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 11:48 AM   #7
TurboEF

MAybe I missed it...is this SOHC or DOHC? Is it a stock cam(s)? If they are stock...the lift and duration on that is so mild that when vtec engages, the turbo hardly notices it. If you are too worried about it....get a vafc...control your vtec point to where ever you want it....and get some bigger injectors. That turbo on that greddy SOHC kit will only hold like 10psi max.
Old 09-22-2001, 03:23 PM   #8
Boosted3g

That is true about the turbo. There is a guy around here that bought the SOHC kit and put it on his 99 SI to save a few and cant get out of the 14s.
Old 10-16-2001, 12:13 AM   #9
2000_Honda_Si

Quote:
Originally posted by thermalfi'd16
i would NOT do it neither bro. besides what boosted said, i also wanna point out to you that td04h is not a big turbo. this means that the boost will not hold long. after the engine picks up the load at high RPM band, your boost pressure reading will eventually slowly drop. at this point, your VTEC will help you maintain the power at a higher REV. look at it this way, while the turbo pressure is coming down, your VTEC will take over and keep up with the performance...........IMO

This is so true.