::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2002, 10:37 PM   #1
Triggedy

SI Muffler on DX?

He folks...I bought an '99 Si muffler today and I'm trying to put it on my '96 (same generation) DX. I've heard that it should bolt right on, but after measuring it initially, there's a 1/4 inch difference in the outside diameter of the piping of my stock exhaust system and the Si muffler piping that bolts to it.

Anyone done this? I will def. let you all know how it works after I figure it out...or if someone pipes (no pun) up and tells how it is before then L8R.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:37 PM   #2
Triggedy

My car's a hatchback too, almost forgot that part.
Old 05-04-2002, 05:27 PM   #3
slowEJ6

Si is a performance vehicle.....the piping is bigger. go to midas, get the same size piping welded on and there you go....all better
or just weld on a new flange so it bolts up.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 08:11 PM   #4
Triggedy

It does just bolt right up, but it does not fit as it is!
On the muffler, there are two tabs about 3/8" in diameter that are ment to suspend the muffler from the underside of the car. Unfortunately, with the Si, those tabs face to the back of the car, where as on the DX hatch, they face toward the front of the car. If you can get the tabs to slide under the bumper you then see that the tabs on the car are about 6 inches toward the front of the car than the muffler tabs...you WON'T be able to get the rubber suspenders to stretch from the car to the muffler. PERIOD.

I'm trying to have the tabs on the Si removed, switching the Left with the Right and the Right with the Left and then face them to the front of the car and rewelded in place. That should be done Monday afternoon.

As for the flanges and pipe diameters, you're right they are different.
DX Inside Diameter (ID) = 1.75
Si ID = 2.00

But go to Midas, get another gasket for the DX (NOT THE SI) and then ....we'll see if it bolts up Monday The guy at Midas said to add a little bit of High temp permatex to the gasket if it didn't seal with just the gasket.

I'm certain I'll have to trim the tailpipe by almost 12 inches, but that will wait till monday too. Till then....
Old 05-06-2002, 02:48 PM   #5
Triggedy

Hey, everything worked fine. I cut the tail pipe, slid it together and viola. It was a tight fit getting the rubber grommets on, but AOK now.