FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2003, 12:30 PM   #1
Rage237

i link for those who want to be leagaly low

this is the RCW for washington state about lowing a vehicle

http://www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/index.cfm?...tion=46.61.680
Old 06-17-2003, 12:33 PM   #2
Civickid0to60

so ****ing gay. Ill bet you if a cop in Washington State saw a low riding mustang next to a low riding civic, they would pull over the civic. I hate cops.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:34 PM   #3

i live in washington...

it doesn't say how many inches?

my friend got a ticket for his lowered car and the cop just rolled a tennis ball underneath his car and if it rolled back out the other end, it was fine...
Old 06-17-2003, 12:40 PM   #4
Rage237

there is no inch limit

in laymains terms

there can be nothing on your car lower then the bottom of your rims

so if you could roll on just rims without anything else touching the ground you are leagle

your friend should fight the ticket

and yes unfortanatly the cops in WA are against the imports

but they have been proved right
you will find more imports breaking the law then domestics
unfortanatly
the bad apples have messed it up for those of us who are good and leagle
we still get messed with because of it
Old 06-17-2003, 12:42 PM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

answer: roll on 18"s with 45 series tires

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 12:44 PM   #6

so isn't it better just to get bigger rims?
Old 06-17-2003, 12:45 PM   #7
Civickid0to60

or just get adjustable coilovers. So if they give you an inspection ticket you go home jack it up and take it in. buddy of mine did taht here. worked perfect.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:17 PM   #8
pbateson

I want to lower my car to 2 inch and 18' rims, but against WA Law.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:22 PM   #9
nonovurbizniz

^no it's not
Old 06-18-2003, 08:09 AM   #10
msvtec14

Quote:
Originally posted by member
i live in washington...

it doesn't say how many inches?

my friend got a ticket for his lowered car and the cop just rolled a tennis ball underneath his car and if it rolled back out the other end, it was fine...

ROFL, you would not be able to even get that under my front bumper.

No but seriously, I know that makes my car not legal anymore but I was trying to find the laws for the state of CT and I can't find them. Anyone know? Nonov?

-Melissa
Old 06-18-2003, 09:25 AM   #11
nonovurbizniz

the ct laws are WAY more strict than that...

I'm not possitive but a LOT of the time it has nothing to do with body kits sitting low it's about how low the headlights are to the ground... I think in cali they can't be lower than 18" off the ground.. unless the car was produced like that.

that washington law seems like it's catered to body kits (because they make the car appear lower than it is by having low hanging front/rear bumpers and side skirts. hence the body could EASILY sit lower than the bottom of the rim.)

In ct I don't think they care though... I've seen WAY too many DROPPED cars... my buddys vw gti was sitting REDICULOUSLY low... he front and rear bumpers weren't lower than his wheels but he only had about 2-3" of ground clearance.

ok here... OH and the ct laws are WAY strict...

http://www.lawdog.com/states/ct/sta9.htm

the law states that no part of the sprung chassis may have less then 4 inces of clearance... so you're illegal....

heres the link to that part
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/mvregs.pdf

it's on page 207-208 of the pdf linked...
Old 06-18-2003, 09:52 AM   #12
Rage237

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
the ct laws are WAY more strict than that...

I'm not possitive but a LOT of the time it has nothing to do with body kits sitting low it's about how low the headlights are to the ground... I think in cali they can't be lower than 18" off the ground.. unless the car was produced like that.

that washington law seems like it's catered to body kits (because they make the car appear lower than it is by having low hanging front/rear bumpers and side skirts. hence the body could EASILY sit lower than the bottom of the rim.)

In ct I don't think they care though... I've seen WAY too many DROPPED cars... my buddys vw gti was sitting REDICULOUSLY low... he front and rear bumpers weren't lower than his wheels but he only had about 2-3" of ground clearance.

ok here... OH and the ct laws are WAY strict...

http://www.lawdog.com/states/ct/sta9.htm

the law states that no part of the sprung chassis may have less then 4 inces of clearance... so you're illegal....

heres the link to that part
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/mvregs.pdf

it's on page 207-208 of the pdf linked...

well the highet of the headlights is a cintributor as well
i just found this out on my normal fourm
here is a link to that RCW (for wash)

http://www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/index.cfm?...tion=46.37.040

it is chapter 46, section 37.040 pargraph 2

states

(2) Every head lamp upon every motor vehicle shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than fifty-four inches nor less than twenty-four inches to be measured as set forth in RCW 46.37.030(2).

this was news to me
but that what it says
Old 06-18-2003, 10:11 AM   #13
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Damn.. Could they make these documents anymore damn confusing? Id say not!
Old 06-18-2003, 10:45 AM   #14
msvtec14

Thanks for the clarification guys.

-Melissa
Old 06-18-2003, 10:50 AM   #15
Duckydos

Quote:
Originally posted by Rage237
(2) Every head lamp upon every motor vehicle shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than fifty-four inches nor less than twenty-four inches to be measured as set forth in RCW 46.37.030(2).
[/b]

That is the law in Florida, no less then 24" from the head-light bulb to the ground. Mine sits at about 22" so I OK (never had a problem with it before).
There is, however, a kid on these boards, Smokd187, who had race springs until his school resource officer pulled him aside and told him that he would get a fix-it-ticket every day that he drove to school with the car that low. Pretty f'ed up.

-Ducky
Old 06-18-2003, 11:00 AM   #16
msvtec14

I wonder if the police would ever go so far as to tow a car. That's what scares me. I know that they would mess mine up.

-Melissa
Old 06-18-2003, 11:38 AM   #17
nonovurbizniz

no... they'd give you a fix it ticket (warning ticket in ct)... unless they somehow KNEW that you had gotten a fix it ticket before that...then YES they will tow your car... and probobly wouldn't be liable for any damages incurred by the tow seeing as how the whole point of towing it was that it's "un-safely" low.. which is why it would get messed up towing it...

I'm sure you could BEG for a flat bed though.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:59 AM   #18
msvtec14

I would not even be able to get my car up on the ramp to get it on the flatbed. Too low. It would pretty much destroy my front bumper. Either that or I would have to get it all repainted. I have never gotten any of these warning (fix it) tickets that you speak of but I have gotten written warnings. I was speeding and I got a written warning. But on the written warning, the cop wrote all this stuff about what was not legal on my car but he never said, "FIX IT or else...".

***Ok, I don't get embarassed very easily at all but check this one out*** I did not really tell anyone or post it on HS at the time because I had to go through court and all that and I was stressing big time but in mid April, I got charged w/reckless driving and I had a PTA court summons ticket thing. That same night, I get pulled over again (for following too closely). As I am pulling my license out of my purse the cop sees my court summons and he takes it and is like, "Oh, what's this?! Reckless driving?! This is from 10pm tonight?!"...I felt like such an ass! He ended up letting me go. For what reason, I don't know.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:10 PM   #19
Duckydos

Reckless drivng? What were you doing?
Also, if the truck driver is taking his time and knows what he's doing, he can get the lowest car onto the flatbed without damaging it. In the past, when I have had to have my car towed (once for that stupid driving that messed up my rear end, and another time I lost my keys at a theme park and had to have the car towed to a dealership) I took off my front bumper to ease things up. My exhaust still scraped, but that's no big deal

-Ducky
Old 06-19-2003, 12:25 PM   #20
msvtec14

There is actually another funny part to that story. It involves the second time that I got pulled over that night. I had about a dozen or so flowers in the car. Mind you, at this point I am sure that I am spending the night in jail. So, like a maniac I start throwing these flowers onto the side of the highway. All of a sudden on the police car intercom thing I hear, "MELISSA, PLEASE STEP OUT OF THE VEHICLE AND PICK UP THOSE FLOWERS NOW. THAT DOES CONSTITUTE AS LITTERING". Man, I felt so stupid. Picking up all these flowers and this cop is at the same time shining the spotlight on me. My friends thought it was the funniest thing ever.

Anyway Ducky, to answer the question...I was doing 86 in a 40. I think in CT with anything over 85 or something, they can charge you with that.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:59 PM   #21
nonovurbizniz

^I've been pulled over "reckless driving" SOOOO many times...

I knew just about every cop in my town.. and for some reason I have REDICULOUS luck with cops... I've been thinking of doing a write up on some of the cases... it really is un-believable.

I got pulled over one time in my first car doing 60-70 in a 30 going over a hill in the air (it sounds more dangerous than it is).. It was SOOO funny... my wheels where still in the air when I saw the cop... I couldn't brake.. it was funny.

I just stopped directly infront of where he was already stopped.. he gets out gave me a ticket for like 50 in a 30 (still rediculously expensive). I was sure I was gunna get taken in though.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:12 PM   #22
guywithastang

I got a warning for going to fast through a water puddle

You say VTEC, I say V-8
guywithastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 03:15 PM   #23
msvtec14

I get pulled over for driving like an ass quite often too. But honestly, not nearly as much since I got charged with that shit. In all seriousness, I truly thought that my license was going to be gone. My license has been suspended before. It was not the kind of ticket that I could have just paid. It says misdemeanor summons and complaint on it. I get to court and I'm standing in line to go up and talk to this prosecutor. This guy was just taking away people's licenses like it was going out of style. I was the last one in line. Somehow, all the files on my case were lost. Don't know how and I don't care because that's pretty much how I got away with it. All the prosecutor had was the copy of my ticket. I didn't kiss ass. I was straight up with the guy. He just dropped it. No fines. No classes. And you know that I secretly did a little dance once I got out of that courtroom.

Nonov, ever have the pleasure of going to court in New Haven?