::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2003, 09:23 PM   #1
NCSTYLE

Ex engine ????

I guess i might be crazy, but im considering just getting a new D16y8?? (i think thats the ex coupe one) and just heavily modding it. Iv heard port and polishing being thrown around a lot what exactly is this and would it be a significant hp gain and how much would it coast around. Thanks everyone
Old 01-08-2003, 09:40 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

what do u have now ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 11:13 PM   #3
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

i think it would be better to buy a bseries and just do all the same work on that...it just makes more sense.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 06:50 PM   #4
2000 V-TEC

yeah b series is so much better than that d16y8.......personally i'm going for the K Series in my 2000 ex...gonna be a lot of work but the rsx type r motor should make my ex pretty quick
Old 01-09-2003, 07:20 PM   #5
sohc_vtec 2NR

yeah...get a b series engine..but if you have no choice with the d16y8 then port and polish would be right thing to do, assuming you've exhausted all of your bolt-on mods (if not then do that first).

i myself have this engine but the most extreme mod i would do is a new set of camshaft. i feel that port and polish would best suit the b series engine-it has a much greater potential in HP gain.

as for your questions..there's great power to be had with the port and polish in conjunction with intake, exhaust and among other mods of course, but the price won't be cheap! as a rule of thumb: anything to do with getting inside the engine will NOT be cheap

basically a port and polish is increasing the size of the engine's intake and exhaust port thus increasing the flow of dense air into the combustion chamber and the larger exhaust port diameter will let more exhaust air out of the engine- therefore increasing the engine's volumetric efficiency. i thinks that's right..well correct me if i'm wrong... hope that helps
Old 01-09-2003, 09:14 PM   #6
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by 2000 V-TEC
yeah b series is so much better than that d16y8.......personally i'm going for the K Series in my 2000 ex...gonna be a lot of work but the rsx type r motor should make my ex pretty quick

you are wasting your money.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote