::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Interior Modifications
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2003, 11:21 PM   #1
Prophcy0

How to paint

I got a JDM console and paid out e ass for it, but its gray, my interior is black, meaning i want to paint it. I had a friend try but it all started flaking off and all, so basically, i know nothing about it. I want it to look as factory as possible, so id kinda like to know what brand to use, where to buy, how to prep the console, how many layers, how far back to hold can and how long to let dry, if i need clearcoat and what kind etc... i know nothing and this will be the 3rd time trying to do it, so im looking for all the info i can possibly get on something thats not going to scratch from simply running my finger across it. Thanks.

This isnt prophecy, its a friend at his house
Old 06-12-2003, 02:52 PM   #2
JamieS697

i used the krylon paint i think that is how you spell it and it looks good i used quite a few coats but not too many and clear coat but if you want good instructions check the step by step sticky

Old 06-14-2003, 11:51 AM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i u8sed the krylon vinyl paint too, with some general purpose primer. make sure you use something to clean the console really good, then use some fine grit sand paper (1000+) and then spray the primer on it. let it dry and then sant that a bit too, but make sure you won't get to plastic, then just apply a few coats of paint. apply them when the previous coat is tacky to touch, then let it dry for a few days. now my center console looks like the dash when i apply a thick coat of silicone or armorall.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 02:36 PM   #4
Mischief(LTS)

before discovering the magic of vinyl pigment dye, i painted my panels with plasti-kote paint. came out pretty good. now i can paint all of the vinyl the same color and not just individual pieces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg custint1(small).jpg (52.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 06-21-2003, 02:47 PM   #5
sc0rch

plastic kote or krylon......for plastic i suggest krylon fusion...for vinyl i used some brand i bought at autozone cause thats the only place i could find it....and it worked damn good.....no need for primer.......just DAWN dish soap cause it takes the armor all off.....warm water.......and some 3m scotch brite pads instead of sanding...does a better job at scuffing.....primer only if your painting plastic.....because if you prime vinyl and paint over it with vinyl paint you might as well just used regular paint over the primer......since the vinyl paint will be touching the primer not the vinyl.........