::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2004, 09:30 AM   #1
bigbear

GSR parts swap

Hey I was thinkin about doing some part swapping on my 93 civic ex. I have 4 wheel disc w/abs and I was thinkin about a GSR brake conversion [calipers, master cylinder]. Does the GSR have any benefits over a stock civic brake system?

Edit:: Woop. My bad

http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/brake2.html
Old 12-13-2004, 11:28 AM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

feh...my how-to is better
(Check the step-by-step section)

(All integra's have the same brakes, btw...the size of the mc is the only difference - 1" or 15/16")

I have front integra brakes and rear disc, on my coupe, as well as a 1" itr mc/bb combo. It brakes very well, much better than stock civic.

The only thing that you may need to do, when swapping the mc, is some abs ones require a larger fitting than what is on the civic. If you run into that, head up to acura or junkyard to get a short hard brake line that they have for abs integras...all you need is the ends, but you cant just buy those. Cut the flare off the civic line ends (2) and reflare (double) with the new abs fittings on the ends.
Other than that, its straight-forward and very easy
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 11:52 AM   #3
bigbear

What's your opinion on using junk parts? I'd rather buy remanufactured, I think it's the best compromise [when it comes to this area] on quality vs cost.

What did you do with your coupe?
Old 12-13-2004, 12:29 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg

All my parts are "junk parts" and they work fine. All I did was do a caliper reseal on them...the mc I'll do when I stop being lazy, but it works fine. There isnt a single yard in michigan that normally stocks honda stuff, so I got it from (sorry, Im going to say it) hillbillyville, TN (rear arms), the west coast (front brakes), and japan (mc/bb).
If you have a pull-your-own yard (I really envy those that do) you can just inspect all your parts. Dont bother with the bad unless you have to.

When I put the reseal on the calipers, it was my first time attempting that...its kinda a pain in the ass to get the rings to seat right, but its not at all complicated.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:54 PM   #5
bigbear

Yeah ok, that's cool. It's not a big anyway seeing as I have super old calipers on anyway hehe.

Where did you get the ITR mc from?
Do ITR calipers fit on a 93 ex or do I have to swap the knuckle?
Do ITR calipers fit on the back?

ITR!! ALL ITR!! God knows why but hey...
Old 12-13-2004, 01:19 PM   #6
pdiggitydogg

Honestly, I cant remember where I got the mc/bb set anymore...maybe I'll remember later. I know passwordjdm.com sells them though.

Yes, itr will fit...hell, NSX calipers will fit on an ex knuckle, but you'll need larger rotors - 11". I think there are vw corrado rotors that size that are also 4x100, but I dont remember exactly. Im almost positive its been covered here before - search for it. Then again...there was a prelude that was 4x100, but I dont know its rotor size.

There isnt any point in bothering with rear itr calipers. Im not even sure if theyre any different than the rest, size wise I mean. Just go w/ the regular.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:33 PM   #7
bigbear

Haha I don't know. Why rely on front brakes so heavily? Even 4 piston calipers do it too?
Old 12-13-2004, 06:37 PM   #8
pdiggitydogg

because thats where most of the braking is done anyway
Old 12-13-2004, 06:48 PM   #9
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by bigbear
Haha I don't know. Why rely on front brakes so heavily? Even 4 piston calipers do it too?

physics.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:10 PM   #10
bigbear

whatever did happen to that pedal problem you had pdiggs?

http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showt...p&pagenumber=1
Old 12-13-2004, 08:44 PM   #11
pdiggitydogg

I just bled them 2 more times and then it was just a matter of getting used to the feel.
The ex/si brakes were so much smaller that they gave a much firmer pedal feel than the integra brakes gave...even with the 1" mc
Old 12-14-2004, 02:31 PM   #12
JDMFantasy2k

so the pedal feels more loose (or travels further) but is more effective?
Old 12-14-2004, 03:42 PM   #13
pdiggitydogg

pretty much
There is more control than before.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:09 PM   #14
bigbear

Now let me get this straight. According to the 'What fits on a civic' thread over at honda-tech:

Legend GS [two piston] calipers fit on a ITR
ITR calipers fit on a civic but I need an 11" rotor?
Therefore GS calipers fit on a civic w/ 11" rotor?

I'm sorry, I'm just one of those people who has to do everything to the max. I'd like my car to be able to stop before I make my car able to go fast.

Two piston calipers might be overkill, seeing as I'd just end up skidding and setting my ABS off? I'm assuming this is the part where if I want to be able to stop any faster I have to get wider tires.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:11 PM   #15
JDMFantasy2k

Quote:
Originally posted by bigbear

I'm sorry, I'm just one of those people who has to do everything to the max. I'd like my car to be able to stop before I make my car able to go fast.

Don't be sorry, you're being smart. Slow down before speeding up, one of the better ways to modify your car IMO.

Sounds like it should check out, but i'm sure the braking system master pat will clarify it up for ya.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:36 PM   #16
bigbear

Master pat?
Old 12-14-2004, 06:57 PM   #17
pdiggitydogg

"brake system master" , "pat"
meaning me (not to toot my own horn)

oh, you have abs eh...youre only upgrade would be itr/accord wagon (not that spectacular over your current set) or legend/nsx brakes then.

For that, yes, an 11" rotor is needed. You could be direct, like I said, and go w/ an 11" honda prelude or nsx set and just have it redrilled for 4x100, or you could try to find more info on the vw rotor of that size (of which I am not sure on the hub size at all) - - redrilling would be the best idea.
OR
you could go balls out 5lug conversion and bolt on the 5lug rotors each time you change w/o having to redrill...you could then use the sexy itr wheels....mmmm. Thats probably not very cost effective thought.

I should just make a brake thread...

Oh yeah, Youre going to need at least 15" wheels at all times to fit over the giant calipers. To find out which ones, search h-t. I dont have a clue which ones fit (oem I mean) - my cheap 14" winter wheels actually clear my integra calipers (which is more than I can say for those running hx's)
Old 12-14-2004, 07:18 PM   #18
bigbear

HAHA funny you should mention it... I have 15" integra rims on it now. Not the ITR ones but the 4 lug integra alloys.

So Legend GS brakes would be the best upgrade? Not necessarily the easiest/cheapest, but most powerful? To your knowledge is there a difference between the ITR and Legend mc's?

There's a big junkyard here that I'll call tomorrow morning and see if they have any ITR's.

So I need the knuckle

and the rear lower trailing arm?

oh yeah, that oil leak in the distributor? It went bad on me and just quit running as I was leaving the driveway one day. Took like an hour to diagnose the problem, get the new part, and put it in. Hasn't leaked since. F*ckin distributor.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:12 PM   #19
pdiggitydogg

if you have abs, you have rear disc - so dont worry about the rears...stick with what you have there.

Again, the itr/nsx calipers bolt right onto the ex/si knuckle. You dont need that part either.

All you need are the front calipers and brakets

Legend=NSX as far as brakes go. Both are 2 piston calipers and are the absolute largest that you can get from oem honda.

No matter what size fronts you go with, I really really suggest going with a 1" master cylinder. If you dont, your pedal will just be limp as a wet noodle.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:09 PM   #20
pdiggitydogg

everything that we just talked about, and more, has been put into 1 single thread.
Please read it - there are somethings that I initially forgot about in there
Old 12-16-2004, 04:48 PM   #21
bigbear

I found an import junkyard that will give me a nice little package of the complete 5 lug conversion w/rotors, mc/bb, and sway bars from an ITR. So I just might do it...

Still workin on the legend calipers though.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:59 PM   #22
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

since we are on topic: should i go ahead and get the itr mc/bb combo ? my master cylinder went down south and the brake booster started to rust because of a bad seal in my mc. i wonder if they will fit my 92

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 01:39 PM   #23
nonovurbizniz

92 teg booster holes are the same as 94+...

ITR BB and MC will work on a 2nd gen (probobly 1st gen too) teg.