Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2003, 04:24 PM   #1
shadowracer
1st Gear

Distributor Dilema

I was just wondering if a ex distributor will work on a dx car. I've heard some where that you have to run the distributor that corresponds with the ecu. i.e. p28 w/ TD-42u , p06 w/ TD-m1u.
I think thats the part # for the dx I'm not sure though. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:22 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i really have no clue but the civic guys might help you more. moving

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 10:30 PM   #3
tooslow91crx

as long as the plugs on the harnesss match up, you should be fine. what year cars and distributors are you working with? the only problem you might run into is if the cam sensors use different triggering devices. take the caps off, and if they have the same number and colors of wires going to the same places, then they probably use the same type of trigger. they all index into the cam the sam way, and they all bolt to the head the same way. you'd probably be better off getting the right one for the engine, there has to be a reason they have different part numbers, but i think it should work if they plug in right
Old 01-22-2003, 08:56 AM   #4
shadowracer
1st Gear

Thanks for the help but I got the situation sorted out already. The reason I posted this thread in the first place was because my distributor was going out on me. The bearing on the shaft had gone bad and the rotor was hitting the posts in the cap. At first I thought it was my trans throwout bearing or a mainshaft bearing going bad. The distributor being where it is, sent me in the wrong direction to locate the problem. What had happened was, it started hit the lower two posts first, so it made the noise sound like it was coming from the trans. On day when I was under my hood with the car running I thought I'd rev up the engine, when I did I heard the noise again, but this time it was louder then before and actually sounded like it came from the distributor.
I immediately shut the car off and checked the play on my rotor and there was my problem.

Just so all of you know it sounds like a metallic type of ticking whiring sound. I only had this problem after I replaced the cap and rotor. After I looked at my old cap and rotor for futher investigation I noticed that they had been worn down more then normal. With the new cap and rotor the wasn't as much clearance, thus the noise. I also experienced a slight hesitation or miss at low RPM's from a stop. The noise was intermitent and would only occur at low rpms or when down shifting, basically whenever I'd put a load on the car. This is a common problem with higher mileage honda distributors, so for any one who owns one, beware and check your end play and thrust movement (side to side) on your distributor shaft if you have any of the situations I've explained.

One more thing if your distributor is bad you don't have to go out and spend $500.00 on a new one. I rebuilt mine using a junkyard one I got for $20.00. Just make sure all your internal pieces are good. Once that rotor starts to hit the magnets inside also start to get hit which in turn cracks them.