::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2004, 11:59 AM   #1
JDMFantasy2k

wastegate questions

Well i think i'm going to have to go with an external wastegate for my setup. When i took off the internal set up on the super 60 it gave me a considerable ammount of clearance which would allow me to retain my a/c.

My question is, if i do get an external wastegate; what are the pros and cons of just venting the gasses straight out rather than piping it into the downpipe? I've seen cars that are set-up both ways, i'm assuming piping it into the exhaust is better.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:58 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

hmm arnel told me once that the amount of gases released into the air are almost nothing. i think it's better into the air since it just comes out, rather then going thru the whoe exhaust system.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 09:57 PM   #3
JDMFantasy2k

yeah i was thinking about it, it'd only be venting when it reached it's optimal psi, (which would be about 5 for now i think) so i guess as long as i keep short shifting around 3-4k i'd be straight. but when under full throttle acceleration then i'd be at max boost and it'd be venting. my question is that when it's venting, i'm assuming it'd get considerably louder.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:31 AM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

Depending on the boost level, it doesnt really get too loud. Alot of people dont route their pipe back to the exhaust pipe. I like mine open because it is less resistant. When you start increasing boost, you'd want the wastegate release the flow sooner.... actually that applies to any boost level. It's just more advisable to higher boost level. Some people also pipe it with the exhaust to pass inspection. The things is, to do that, it must be pipe prior to the cat-converter. Let me know bro....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote