::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2004, 03:50 AM   #1
jaberg00

b16 head

any one know wher i can get a b16 head to buy, or any site thats sells honda full cylinder heads. im about the have my b18b conv to a vtec. ooh i have a 93 b18a no trans if any ones interested.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:30 AM   #2
silver

what are you looking to spend? and hope your ready to give that motor a lot of tlc when its done.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 10:43 AM   #3
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

hmotorsonline will have just a head

but if youre gonna do a ls/vtec may i suggest a 18c head instead becasue of higher compression and slightly better flow
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 01:10 PM   #4
IALuder

^^agrees. never use a B16 head with a B18. theres more work to doing that way. plus you have a lot more maintance afterwards. use the B18c1 or c5 head. i strong say use c1/GS-R.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 05:26 AM   #5
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by SFKing
^^agrees. never use a B16 head with a B18. theres more work to doing that way. plus you have a lot more maintance afterwards. use the B18c1 or c5 head. i strong say use c1/GS-R.

what do u think an ITR head is? its just a more aggressively cammed, and ported version of the B16a head. Besides the The B16a head bolts right on, not sure what other work u are talking about over the ITR or GSR head.

havent u ever heard of a poor mans Type R head?

(B16a head, CTR cam= Poor Mans Type R head, makes about 180 to 190 HP on a LS/VTEC)
Old 01-03-2004, 11:45 AM   #6
pdiggitydogg

its not just itr, its type r head
theyre the same on both civic and integra

a b16 head is still a b16 head...just adding cams and calling it a day isnt enough
it is highly recommended to change the rest of the valvetrain as well. Ive read lots of articles and forum posts in the past of "poor man r" heads getting destroyed because they didnt change anything but cams.
oh and it needs to be ported before its a "poor mans", as well

i stick with my suggestion of c1 head (ported or not)
then a skunk2 IM (which is identical to the type r IM)
then the valvetrain
Old 01-04-2004, 07:12 AM   #7
Honda_Tengoku

well the CTR and the ITR head have different cams. Thats why I specified. Yes other than that they are the same. As far as using a B16a with a CTR cam (which is a more aggressive cam and makes more power than the ITR cam), yes I would agree to use the rest of the CTR valvetrain. Like springs and retainers. I figured that was a given. The only reason I would say use the B16a head, with a CTR cam is price. The ITR or CTR complete head with cams and everything is way overpriced! Not worth it when it comes for bang for the buck. For the same price u can get the B16a head, CTR cam, and a serious port job which can make as much power as the CTR or ITR head or so I have heard. Like a DPR stage 5 or 6 port job, and on top of that the head is totally rebuilt with new valve seats, springs, seals, decked... Basically a brand new head. If u buy a used ITR/CTR head then u dont know what u are getting into do u? Atleast the rebuilt and ported B16a would have a bit of piece of mind. Atleast to me.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:55 AM   #8
pdiggitydogg

yes we all know the cams are different
ctr's were more aggressive until 99 where the itr and ctr cams were the same...at least i think thats right (the yr may have been '00)

so, buy a head, buy cams, along with the rest of the valvetrain, do a port job...now youve spent probably the same price as the type r head would've been
personally Id still rather have oe honda build crap and just have it cleaned up sometime down the road, because Im sure the parts would be alright

just my opinion
Old 01-05-2004, 12:59 PM   #9
jaberg00

ok i think ill go with the gsr head and the later the skunk 2 IM i still have my EX wire harness and ecu they said theyll give me the head for 450 and im ganna get the type r oil pump for 100. but if any one else have a gsr head thats close to NJ ill come get it im lookin to spend at most 550. Oh does any one know if the PHANTOM GRIP LSD is any good its only like $260
Old 01-05-2004, 01:26 PM   #10
pdiggitydogg

Occasionally there is a head on honda-tech
in fact here are several...
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=708776
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=709280
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=707632
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=723522
One of those is in jersey and another is nyc

there was a post on phantom grips about a week or so ago
-they are not real lsd's they just pinch the gears and arent worth the metal theyre made out of
get a kaaz or quaife lsd if you want to go aftermarket
you could also go jdm itr tranny and get an oe spec lsd