Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2002, 08:45 PM   #1
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

wire the the 12v

Ok, I need some help here. I want to get some neons inside and out but I don't want to use the plugs, because that just gets seriously trashy looking after two things are used in the power outlet in the dash. Instead I want to hardwire the lights to the 12v system and hook up some toggle switches into the many empty panels that are in the Civic. If anyone can tell me how to wire the neons, or anything for that matter, to the 12v system...PLEASE HELP!!!
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 10:13 AM   #2
BrandonClaps

find out what fuse is in the little adapter for the lighter and get an inline fuse and wire that inline with a switch and inline with the red wire on the neon. Wire the other end to 12v under the dash. Then just ground the black wire wherever you mount the neons, must to be to bare metal.
Old 05-31-2002, 02:01 PM   #3
blind34_1

Thats one way to do it (probably the better way). An easy way is to take apart your middle dash (btw: I have 1990civic, so this might be a little different) there should be a wire harness that powers your cig lighter and any other little things. Whats convenient is that you can just buy a bunch of solderless connectors and splice off the wires coming from the harness. This saves the trouble of finding bare metal for your ground (and/or sanding away your paint to get to some bare mtl) and it keeps all of your wiring in one place. But of course still use an inline fuse.

As for a toggle switch in your dash, I can say from experience it looks real nice. Menards has some nice switches as well as all your wiring needs for a fair price. I used a drill to make a hole for the switch in a plastic panel (remove the panel first), but be careful - if you make it too big it'll look like crap.

As for actual wiring, I kinda lost all my diagrams I drew up (I'll try to find em and scan em)

Don't use duct tape/elec tape for your splices. You'll regret it. Solderless connectors are cheap and a crimper/stripper will be one of your favorite tools.

Pics of all this hopefully soon, as soon as I get my digital camera workin. Anyway good luck to you and hope it turns out okay - its actually fun when you figure it out!
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 02:41 PM   #4
BrandonClaps

you can run maybe 1 neon off the cigarette lighter by tapping it, more then that your hackin up your car
Old 05-31-2002, 05:38 PM   #5
blind34_1

I'm running two of em right now, but I've also got a few extras up front as well. For my future heavy duty plans I'll wire to fuse box at what-not - Its getting crowded down there, too much load in one place.

(heavy duty plans = under dash neons, lights in vents, etc.)
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 04:17 PM   #6
BrandonClaps

when i had alot of accessories in my old s10xtreme, what i did was run a 8 gauge wire right from the battery to my passenger kick panel, into a distribution block, and also had a grounding distribution block there too. Make sure the 8 gauge is fused and fuse each accessorie running out of the dist block ;D