::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Others
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2003, 05:13 PM   #1
DaInfamousCrx

Help I have questions regarding a 91 crx

Hey I was wondering are the hatchback and the crx interchangeable?They look like they would be...Well what I need to know is will a hood off of a 88-91 civic hatch fit a 91 crx??Also What about the under bumper not the plastic its self but the metal will that fit a crx?And what about the headlights??And whats the best tranny that will mount up to the 1.6???Will a tranny off of a 1.5 fit a 1.6? I got a 91 crx and theres a 88 civic hatchback that I can get for a parts car but im not gonna do it if its not gonna work...Well I hope someone can shed sum light on Me....
Well
Thanx
Juan
Old 12-28-2003, 09:54 PM   #2
blind34_1

As for those body parts, i'm not sure. I'm curious myself, so ill let you know what i find. The best tranny that will mount up to a 1.6 (ZC and the Si motor) would be an Si trans (i'm pretty sure 88-91 Si's were all the same trans. There are some minor differences between 88/89 and 90/91, though i dont know them all (one is the visible screw holes on corner lights).

Off I go in search of answers....
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 10:03 PM   #3
blind34_1

okay, well i found this. its helpful if you have a wagon...still looking:

When y'all say "Civic" please specify WHICH model
Civic. And the models are....

Civic Hatchback
Civic Sedan
Civic Wagon
Civic CRx

Yes, IT IS the "Civic CRx" (if you have a CRx, look on
the back of it). IT IS a member of the Civic line-up.
However, we refer to it just as "CRx". So when ya see
something for sale for a "Civic CRx", does mean the
same thing as "Civic / Crx", or "Civic AND CRx"?

Now the statement, "A CRX Front end WILL fit on a
Civic on the condition that you change the Bumper,
Fenders and corner lights to the CRX ones." IS NOT
100% correct. Because it will not fit on the wagon.

The wagon's fenders, bumper and corner lights are
different from the other Civic models. The fenders
have a steeper slope. The front bumper is taller than
that of other Civic models.

And, the clear corner lights for '88-'91 Civics you
see on Ebay, etc, WILL NOT fit the wagon. I've been
there and done that, TWICE! You can order the clear
corner lights from overseas, modify them to accept the
second (an amber) bulb, and install them on a wagon
like I did.

The bumper lights on the wagon are different from the
other models too, I believe. But the same light assy
is used on '88-'91 wagons; ONLY the lens is different
(different color).

The right hand mirror from a CRx, hatchback or sedan
will not fit on the wagon.

You CAN add a '90 Civic Si's front lip spoiler to the
wagon, hatchback, and I suspect the sedan as well.
The holes are already in the bumpers! My '90 2wd wagon
and '88 4WD wagon both have a front lip spoiler
installed.

I've posted a 3 pics in files. (can't get them to go
to "Photos"). 1 shows my '88 4WD with factory
foglights, JDM clear corners, clear bumper lens, and
the '90 Si front lip spoiler. The next one shows the
USDM lower audio console with storage compartment
installed,in my '88.
(cd player is in the shop). The 3rd one shows the USDM
lower audio console with cd player installed, in my
'90 . Sorry about the messy interiors!

Coop

----
Okay and here's this. Its being thrown around on a lot of different sites:
88-89 CRX's don't have side impact beams in the doors, the 90-91 do.
All CRX's have rear drum brakes except the 90-91 Si's
90-91 have a round instrument gauge cover while the 88-89 one is more squarish
88-89 door moldings are taller and flatter, the 90-91 ones are shorter but stick out further and have a beveled edge to them.
90-91 rear lights have a 1/2 inch black edge all the way around them, the 88-89 do not.
90-91 have have fake air ducts molded into the bumper
88-89 have slightly different front and rear bumpers than the 90-91
90-91 bumper mounted turn signals are clear with amber inserts in them, the 88-89 lenses are just solid amber and shorter in length.
88-89 Corner mounted parking lights have their mounting screws visible while the 90-91 ones are attached by hiden screws.
91 and perhaps 90 headlights have a vent in them to help prevent moisture buildup.
90-91's are the heaviest, the 89 is lighter, and the 88 is the lightest. In each year the hf is the lighter model, then the DX and finally the Si weighs in at the most.
88 manual transmissions have an input shaft with 21 slpines
88 has a 21 spline input shaft, the 89-91's have a 20 spline shaft
90-91 clutch is 212mm, the 89 is 200mm and the 88 has either a 200 or 190mm, I can't remember which.
88 does not have a clutch safety switch. Which means it will start without having to press the clutch in.
88-89 Si models have 105hp, the 90-91's have 108hp due to different ecu settings and possibly a slightly different cam.
88's have pillar mounted seatbelts,90-91 have door mounted belts, 89 si's and dx's have door mounted belts, 89 hf's have pillar mounted belts. I could be wrong on some of this belt stuff, if you can confirm or deny any of it please let me know.
Models with door mounted belts have a wider pillar at the end of the door to accomodate the belt mount, this also means that the glass is and inch or so shorter.
90-91's have a red seatbelt warning light built into the dome light.
88's have what Honda called "passive rear steering" which makes them slightly more agile but some owners complained that they didn't like the "twitchiness" feeling of it so it only existed the one year.
Rear lower control arms changed between the 88 and 91 years and the rear shocks have different mounting points but I'm not sure what year the change took place.
88 has slightly different sized front shocks.
88 ecu has a different internal design than the 89-91 but the inputs and outputs are the same and ecu's can be swapped between years. I know this one since most chip makers don't offer a chip for the 88 and my car was a gunea pig for Dinan to test a later year ECU on.
88-89's have the hazard light switch on the top of the steering column, 90-91's have it mounted on the dash.
88-89 Si seats have a white pinstrip, 90-91 Si seats have a red pinstrip.
88 has a pocket at the bottom of the drivers door
90-91 Si's and perhaps the 89 Si have a mesh pocket on the back of the seats.
88 cam indexing is the same for all the engines, 89-91 si's have indexing that is different from the other engines.
90-91 and possibly the 89 have larger reverse lights that are set further to the sides than the 88

Last edited by blind34_1 : 12-28-2003 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:14 PM   #4
DaInfamousCrx

All that didnt really help me all I wanna know is will the front end off of a 88-91 Civic hatch back fit my 91 Crx.....
Old 12-29-2003, 01:52 PM   #5
blind34_1

i know, i'm still looking. I just posted that for general information...it would prolly be worth it to keep an extra parts car if you have the room.

**okay well I found that the hood designs have the same OEM number across all years 88-91, and across both the civic and crx.
As for the fenders, the OEM numbers differ by one number. This doesnt necessarily mean they aren't compatible, but I have my doubts.

and i give up. There doesnt seem to be any concrete information. My suggestion is try calling your local honda dealership, get to their parts department, and ask if fenders from an 88 civic hatch are the same as the fenders for a 91 crx. Maybe a comparison of OEM numbers isnt the answer...

Last edited by blind34_1 : 12-29-2003 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2003, 06:34 PM   #6
DaInfamousCrx

Thanks alot man I appreciate ur help....I heard ya say ya had a civic Wagon I just got done parting one..I got parts if you need em...It was a 85 civic wagon...
Old 12-29-2003, 08:27 PM   #7
blind34_1

no actually I dont have a wagon. The guy that wrote that first article had a wagon. I lifted that off of some weird yahoo forum site. No, I have a 90 civic hatch.

on another note, when I was searching around to find differences in models, I found some pretty reasonable priced oem hoods, bumpers, and fenders for crx's. If your parts car doesnt work out, you've still got plenty of options. junkyard request sites like UNAP work real well too.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:36 AM   #8
gabe

Hey dude im new here kind of , i mean i never post . But to answer your question yes the hood will fit and the head lights will fit and the inside door panel will also work the guages will fit as well and seats and both ac vents from each side except the middle one.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:50 PM   #9
DaInfamousCrx

kool man thanx
Old 01-27-2004, 12:12 AM   #10
slugworth45

What does the "CRX" really stand for?
just curious
Old 01-27-2004, 01:48 AM   #11
4drmadness

I thought the fenders and hoods from the 88-91 hb/civc/cx could interchange. the only diff was the corner light styles between the 88-89 and 90-91 where the 88-89 ue 2 screws on the outside to hold them in and on the 90-91 it under the hood to secure them w/ 1 screw.

drum roll please...and the answer is

Crx? What does it mean?

Crx means Civic Renaissance Model X. Renaissance means a rebirth of something; therefore Crx means it is a rebirth of the civic car. If you own a Crx or know a little about them you will realize that most of the parts are compatible with the 88-91 civic car. The Crx was based off of a civic. This is why it is called a civic Crx.

hope this answered the Qestion for you slug...
Old 01-27-2004, 09:42 AM   #12
blind34_1

ok thats pretty cool. I never knew that.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:22 AM   #13
slugworth45

wow...you're just a large vat of vast knowledge...now i know who to ask when i have q's...thanks
Old 01-28-2004, 12:26 AM   #14
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well why not stick around forever, not only when you have questions ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote