::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2002, 02:26 AM   #1
yelizardking

i know nothing on systems

since i'm a die hard all motort kind of guy i have neglected the system. i know nothing, all i know is that i was a sterio that plays cd's and that plays mp3's from a cd rw. what should i get, what brands are good?
Old 04-07-2002, 03:21 AM   #2
98AcoordBoomBox

I have the JVC KD-SH99 MP3 Receiver....It's an awesome deck, its got 50wx4, changer controls, front panel mp3 player input, 4 volt front rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs, rca input, for hooking up a vcr, dvd, etc., audio to, and its got a hook up for the remote controller for a jvc dvd player so you can use the receiver's remote to run that too...I love this deck, i have it hooked up to a phoenix gold QX 4150 4channel amp, and a Phoenix Gold ZPA 0.5 subwoofer amp, and it sends great signal to those.. I got mine for 264 from etronics.com that was the cheapest i found it anywhere cause it retails for 400+ bucks. I think they have a new model out called the KD-SH909 but either one would be good the 99 would probably be cheaper now. sorry for the long post but that should be all the info about that receiver you need....go to www.jvc.com for some more info on it.

Peace,
Grant
Old 04-07-2002, 04:27 AM   #3
Maxvla

word of warning... don't plan on using cd-rw's. even most of the mp3 cd decks can't read them. use cdr's instead.

jvc has some decent products but i absolutely cannot stand how their decks sound. its just disgusting.
Old 04-07-2002, 09:28 PM   #4
98AcoordBoomBox

i dunno what your talking about but all the jvc decks I've had sound just as good as most anything else out there anyway. any deck isn't going to sound that great if you use the internal amp anyway. I had all of my decks running the speakers without a 4 channel amp until awhile ago and they sounded just fine, and actually the JVC's sounded great as long as you don't use that BBE feature. Maybe it was your speakers that were disgusting, or maybe you had a low model JVC deck.....just a thought.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:15 AM   #5
Maxvla

well ive never owned one cause ive never liked the sound of them. and ive heard them several times on great speakers. they just don't click with me.

btw. how are pioneer decks for adjusting and tuning?? never owned one but im about to i think.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:26 AM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxvla
jvc has some decent products but i absolutely cannot stand how their decks sound. its just disgusting.

reason i have one for sale.

find one xplod frome pioneer, deck and speakers. they will rock your ass

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 09:54 PM   #7
black95gs-t

Aiwa claims to play any burnt cd. but they don't. alpine 7878 plays everything i have put in it. it will cost ya though. i believe it is like $1200. not too cheap. if you don't want to spend much get the kenwood 8017. geez. i can't believe i am actually endorsing a kenwood anything. what's this world comin to?

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 11:06 PM   #8
Maxvla

Quote:
Originally posted by black95gs-t
geez. i can't believe i am actually endorsing a kenwood anything. what's this world comin to?

your getting soft jon...

my pioneer deck plays everything but dvd's.
cd's, cdr's, and cdrw's as well as mp3's. its nice!
i didn't even know it played cdrws and mp3s till my friend showed me (he also has a pioneer deck) nice bonus.
Old 04-27-2002, 11:34 PM   #9
black95gs-t

the first time i read that i missed the period after DVD's. so to me it said, "my pioneer deck plays everything but dvd's, cd's, cdr's, and cdrws as well as mp3's." i was thinking, "ok. tell me he did not buy a cassette player, or even worse yet, an 8-TRACK!!!!!!!!"
i'm tired give me a break.
J

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

Old 04-29-2002, 11:50 AM   #10
black95gs-t

yeah pioneers are pretty good about playing most everything.
J

Old 05-01-2002, 02:29 AM   #11
Junersun

Pioneer is my favorite brand of all time.. I've gone through a lot of decks and pioneer is what I use for my SQ setup (sound quality). the PEH-D770 (I tink that's the model #) is what I have and it plays mp3... I dunno about cdrw but its' an awesome deck. My whole automobile hobbie has been on audio so far so I can be of some help. you won't believe what kind setups I do for people
Old 05-01-2002, 02:37 AM   #12
black95gs-t

what kind of setups do you do for people?
J

Old 05-01-2002, 12:24 PM   #13
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

You guys may notice you're missing some posts. Please don't whore here.

Carry on.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 12:43 AM   #14
yelizardking

have any of you guys seen that new cd deck that shows them hot chicks on it? are they really nude? oh and is that one give good sounds or is more for viewing?
Old 05-07-2002, 12:44 AM   #15
yelizardking

oh that cd dekc is a sony xplod
Old 05-07-2002, 02:26 AM   #16
Maxvla

i doubt they are nude. no i have not seen this new deck. but its a sony so... i'd stay away.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:56 PM   #17
blind34_1

Blaupunkt is a pretty decent brand for decks. I have an Austin, that gave me good value for the money. And the 3 sets of preouts gives me lotsa options. I'd definetly reccomend it. It plays CD-R's like anything else, but I've noticed something about CD-Rs in general. They tend to skip more, especially in cars.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 11:18 PM   #18
Maxvla

cd-rs are more easily scratched. thats why.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:12 PM   #19
black95gs-t

blaupunkts run really hot. how do i know this? yup. i have sold them too. on my sound board, i had the volume turned all the way down, and they were still incredibly hot when other decks under the same conditions were warm, but not nearly as hot as the blaupunkts. and yes cd-r's do scratch easier.
J

Old 05-10-2002, 03:24 AM   #20
yelizardking

so sony isn't a good brand to get for a deck? or just not a good brand period? and what are some good brands for decks (that also play mp3's)??
Old 05-10-2002, 04:25 PM   #21
blind34_1

hmm...i guess i haven't pushed my system enough(only 200watt amp for sub).

I've heard that you should avoid Aiwa like the plague. But it seems to me that any high end version from any brand is pretty decent. Kenwoods are nice if you can afford the crazy prices.
Old 05-10-2002, 07:04 PM   #22
FasterThanLight

i picked up a sony es... um, it is a cdx-580? it was the cheapest ES at the time, and i'm not bowled over by it or anything. it's got 4v preouts and two sets of them. i guess what i would like to get across is that when i have more money, i'm not buying sony again. nakamichi, alpine, that's pretty much it. maybe pioneer(premier) there's one other that i can't think of, so i guess i won't mention it. the one thing i don't like right now is that the internal gains on the cdx-580 aren't set right, so the volume on the radio/receiver section is much softer than the other settings(cd, chgr, tv). there's my two cents, fwiw... nothing.
Old 05-10-2002, 07:44 PM   #23
Maxvla

pioneer decks are the best value in car stereos. simple as that. good prices and plays cd, cdr, cdrw, and mp3s.

good power clean sound.
Old 05-13-2002, 04:13 PM   #24
yelizardking

okmso pioneer it is. now how about any suggestions for a piuoneer deck that plays cd, cdr, cdrw, and mp3s??? thanks for all the help!
Old 05-13-2002, 07:49 PM   #25
Maxvla

all of them as far as i know play those formats... just get the one that you think is a) prettiest b)sounds good c)has the features you want
Old 05-15-2002, 02:43 AM   #26
yelizardking

hmm exellent suggestion. i think i just might go with the "get the prettiest for my wallet hehe.
Old 05-15-2002, 04:07 AM   #27
Maxvla

get one with a full flippy face though... much nicer to have a bigger screen. a bit uglier to the wallet but much better when you are trying to adjust everything... and yes pioneers have endless menus of goodies to manipulate.

good luck
Old 05-17-2002, 03:25 AM   #28
yelizardking

i was looking at the pioneers's and wow i think i found the one . i think it's the 7400 something damn that thing looks bad ass. it's some 550 on ebay. Is that a good one. i know the 9400 is much better but also much more. and wich one is the "full flippy face" one??
Old 05-17-2002, 07:34 PM   #29
Maxvla

any of the ones that you fold down to put the cd in. aka has no slot on the front.

don't get the 9400... its all just lights. doesn't sound much better.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:10 AM   #30
yelizardking

so that 8400 will do me fine? damn that thing looks soo cool!! hehe
Old 05-20-2002, 01:23 AM   #31
Maxvla

sure will. buy with confidence. pioneer doesn't make junk. they might not be the best ever but they are never bad.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:26 AM   #32
yelizardking

one more question. what the name in speakers like 6 1/2's and subwoofers?
Old 05-20-2002, 01:27 AM   #33
Maxvla

rephrase? (edit your post don't just post again)
Old 05-20-2002, 02:14 PM   #34
yelizardking

sorry about that, ok pioneer is a big timer in the decks, correct? and what would be the name in speakers like 6 1/2's? and 6x9's?
Old 05-20-2002, 02:24 PM   #35
blind34_1

INFINITY ! (Thats if you have cash) CerwinVega, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate are all pretty decent (in my opinion)
Old 05-21-2002, 01:31 AM   #36
Maxvla

vega small speakers?? you had a cat scan done recently?

infinity, ALPINE, mbquart, boston acoustics. thats all for now.
Old 05-23-2002, 07:18 PM   #37
blind34_1

I was pretty sure a friend of mine had cerwins in his car and it sounded good. I could be wrong. Maybe all the radiation from those cat scans is getting to me.
Old 05-23-2002, 08:02 PM   #38
Maxvla

must be cause cerwin vega coaxial speakers really don't sound that great.
Old 05-24-2002, 02:17 PM   #39
black95gs-t

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxvla
vega small speakers?? you had a cat scan done recently?

infinity, ALPINE, mbquart, boston acoustics. thats all for now.
i might buy bostons. IMO the best mid high speaker company right now that you can find without too much difficulty would be focal. alpine is a nightmare when it comes to speakers. RF bought MBQ and has already said that they will not do the smart thing and learn from the MBQ technology, but instead they will be stupid and redesign all of the MBQ speakers. dumb huh? kinda like if ford were to buy ferrari and say, now all ferraris will be overpriced fords instead of all fords being underpriced ferraris.
J