Old 01-22-2003, 06:50 PM   #1
Jake98Civ

Next performance mod

Hey I just got my car about two weeks ago its a 98 Black Civic EX

and I already have intake and exhaust on it. I was wondering

what the next thing I get for it should be. I was also wondering

if there was anything that I could do myself that is cheap and will

give me a few horsepower. For the mod i dont have much to

spend only like 100 dollars or less. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

-Jake
Old 01-22-2003, 06:53 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

save up more before moving on to bigger and better things

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 07:14 PM   #3
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

save it and go turbo...$100 isnt gonna get you anything that will give you power
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 07:57 PM   #4
02CiviC

$100 will buy you nothing worth putting on the car to add horse power.
you gotta know what you want from the car wheater it be turbo,n/a, nitrous
Old 01-23-2003, 06:43 PM   #5
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Save your money for the good stuff.. Dont screw with all the cheap bolton crap. Its not worth it!!!

Suspension is always good, or if you want something that will make it feel different go with a shortie shifter and bushings. Those are cheap and itll make you feel faster.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:16 PM   #6
iRACEmyCTR

short shifter, suspension, cosmetic stuff, big ass honda "H" decal....
Old 01-23-2003, 08:59 PM   #7
myself_included

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
save it and go turbo...$100 isnt gonna get you anything that will give you power
All he has is $100, where's he gonna get $2000 from?
Why suggest outrageous things?
Save another $100-200 and get a header.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:59 PM   #8
HighLife

Quote:
Originally posted by iRACEmyCTR
short shifter, suspension, cosmetic stuff, big ass honda "H" decal....

I agree there, Short shifter is a great upgrade for the money, makes your car feel totally different. Just be careful and dont slam into gears and ruin your snycro's.

After that or before, i would go with a header. Now i only say this if you 100% sure you not going turbo. Since you will have to you a turbo header, but if you thinking about using a Supercharger, you can keep your header and just your Intake manifold is swapped out. Personally im going to go with a turbo for next upgrade. You can also try the light wieght pullys. Aem makes em for like 120$. It replaces the stock pullies for your Air condition and your Power steering. Alot of people say they notice a difference, some dont. I have them and they maybe give you a little noticable difference, but nothing crazy. Its a good upgrade since you will propaly never lose your power or air condition. I know i will keep em forever.

Another upgrade would be a high flow cat. Again this is something people say they like people say they dont. Personally i wouldnt get it just cause our cars are OBD2 and there is a sensor in our cats. Once the ECU detects that the air coming out isnt filtered threw the cat it will throw a CEL light at you. Then it will retard timing etc etc thinking there is something wrong with your car. You can also buy a fake sensor they will trick your ECU into thinking everything is OK. Also high flow cats are great when you got a SC/turbo. Where as your pushing ALOT more air threw you car and you benifit alittle from removing your stock cat.

Cheapest HP i can think of which is free. Diconnect your Power steering and air condition. That will will you little more umpf! Again its nothing major, but if you going for a high dyno mark, it will work for a litte.

AS for the giant H .....i would pass on that....thats like putting NoS stickers on your car. I want giant Chinese letters spelling out RICE! =)

Quote:
I know this is a bit off topic, but if you or anyone reading just thinking about it, Im doing a group by for the Drag Gen2 turbo kit. I can get a few kits for 1750$ uS Shipped to your door. Im going to post something in the Classified forum, so feel free to check it out.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:31 PM   #9
pdiggitydogg

Quote:
Originally posted by myself_included
All he has is $100, where's he gonna get $2000 from?
Why suggest outrageous things?
Save another $100-200 and get a header.

i told him to save it...that makes it NOT outrageous...dont buy a header if you plan on going turbo with car later...its just a waste then...
Old 01-24-2003, 01:17 AM   #10
myself_included

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
i told him to save it...that makes it NOT outrageous...dont buy a header if you plan on going turbo with car later...its just a waste then...
I don't recall him saying that he's going turbo......maybe you could show me where he said that. And I don't think he wants to start saving to buy a turbo with the car the way it is now, I'd suggest buying more bolt ons and turbo much later. Buy bolt ons now.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:43 AM   #11
iRACEmyCTR

dont buy a header until you're engine is built up enough to make it worth the investment. if you were to buy a header right now your car would actually lose speed. You're car is still gonna run 17 sec 1/4s b4 and after you dump this $100 so just buy something you think is cool.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:28 AM   #12
myself_included

Quote:
Originally posted by iRACEmyCTR
if you were to buy a header right now your car would actually lose speed.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:36 AM   #13
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:

That depends on the header really, I have seen some headers dyno with less power then stock.. Not typical, but possible. Alot of it depends on what other mods you have too.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:40 AM   #14
myself_included

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
Alot of it depends on what other mods you have too.
Exactly, he has i/e, the first 3 things I would recommend are i/h/e, intake header exhaust. Get your car breathing better first.....
Old 01-24-2003, 08:55 AM   #15
HighLife

Header will even out you performance threw the whole powerband. Depending on which you get. 4-2-1 style is great for this. 4-1 will give you little more top end power. I/H/E should maybe give you 10-12hp total. Might not even be that, but you will notice a difference.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:59 AM   #16
myself_included

Exactly what I was saying. I/H/E will always give you hp, there is no way that a header can decrease horsepower. And like Highlife was saying, a 4-2-1 header would be preferable giving you power through out the RPMs.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:02 AM   #17
HighLife

Quote:
through

Thanks for the english lesson. I think that Ubah l33t!
Old 01-24-2003, 09:19 AM   #18
oc civic

you are ALL misguiding him... IF you want to go fast in a straightline, and you are on a budget.. there is ONE answer... NITROUS OXIDE INJECTION.... **** all that bolt on shit.. NOS nitrous kits are designed to work with a BONE stock car... SOOO save up another 300 and just get a bottle.. THEN as you get cash do the rest... nitrous will make a HUGE improvement over stock...

intake header exhaust- $800 for something decent = 8hp
NOS nitrous oxide kit-$400-$500 = 50 HP

you tell me which is better.. lol
Old 01-24-2003, 09:21 AM   #19
oc civic

Quote:
Exactly what I was saying. I/H/E will always give you hp, there is no way that a header can decrease horsepower. And like Highlife was saying, a 4-2-1 header would be preferable giving you power through out the RPMs.

see you are missing something that people TYPICALY miss.. it MAY increase peek HP.. in fact it DEFINATELY will.. BUT you WILL lose hp somewhere else.... that is the sacrafice... thats why SOMETIMES with poorly made boltons they ACTUALY run slower times.... PEEK hp may be increased 8 hp.. but you may LOSE 6 hp across the board...
Old 01-24-2003, 09:29 AM   #20
myself_included

Quote:
Originally posted by oc civic
you are ALL misguiding him... IF you want to go fast in a straightline, and you are on a budget.. there is ONE answer... NITROUS OXIDE INJECTION.... **** all that bolt on shit.. NOS nitrous kits are designed to work with a BONE stock car... SOOO save up another 300 and just get a bottle..
But he asked what to get for under $100, he didn't ask what he should save up for.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:29 AM   #21
myself_included

Quote:
see you are missing something that people TYPICALY miss.. it MAY increase peek HP.. in fact it DEFINATELY will.. BUT you WILL lose hp somewhere else.... that is the sacrafice... thats why SOMETIMES with poorly made boltons they ACTUALY run slower times.... PEEK hp may be increased 8 hp.. but you may LOSE 6 hp across the board...
would you like to race?
Old 01-24-2003, 09:47 AM   #22
oc civic

Quote:
would you like to race?
sure...when....
Old 01-24-2003, 09:56 AM   #23
HighLife

Quote:

I doubt you will lose power due to i/h/e, but it is possible. Highly unlikely though. Depends though on what you put in. If you drop 3" exhaust you might lose alittle bottem end, but gain top end. If you use 2" piping...you might lose top end but gain bottem end due to back pressure.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:02 AM   #24
HighLife

Quote:
sure...when....

Well looking at his Sig...unless you got some mean upgrades for your EX you not even going to come close =) If he sprays threw his turbo lag, which is what most people do he will probaly be running high 12's low 13's .No offense.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:10 AM   #25
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by HighLife
I doubt you will lose power due to i/h/e, but it is possible. Highly unlikely though. Depends though on what you put in. If you drop 3" exhaust you might lose alittle bottem end, but gain top end. If you use 2" piping...you might lose top end but gain bottem end due to back pressure.

you are wrong

the concept of combustion is this... you MUST have enough air for the fuel, and enough fuel for the air... IF stock civics ran REDICULOUSLY rich, and you added all these AIRFLOW related mods it WOULD MAKE A HUGE DIFFERANCE... well civics DON'T run all that rich so they DONT really add power i have yet to see I/H/E combo ALONE make that much of a differance on ANY pre 99 honda civic..
Old 01-24-2003, 10:13 AM   #26
oc civic

Quote:
Well looking at his Sig...unless you got some mean upgrades for your EX you not even going to come close =) If he sprays threw his turbo lag, which is what most people do he will probaly be running high 12's low 13's .No offense.

to be really honest i have NO intentions of running him in my car... YES im willing to race him.. he offered otu the race so i say to him come on up...i will run him in an ALL MOTOR car AND i will give him the break..
Old 01-24-2003, 10:15 AM   #27
oc civic

Quote:

and to be REALLY honest i dont even believe he has that.. lol but im up to find out...
Old 01-24-2003, 10:22 AM   #28
blind34_1

hmm..its always the same people arguing over trivial things.

This has nothing to do with performance, but you could get a decent tinting job on your rear windows for around $100. Makes your car look nicer.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 10:22 AM   #29
HighLife

Quote:
you are wrong

the concept of combustion is this... you MUST have enough air for the fuel, and enough fuel for the air... IF stock civics ran REDICULOUSLY rich, and you added all these AIRFLOW related mods it WOULD MAKE A HUGE DIFFERANCE... well civics DON'T run all that rich so they DONT really add power i have yet to see I/H/E combo ALONE make that much of a differance on ANY pre 99 honda civic..

Im speaking in stock terms...he is not going to be running rich and since he is asking about i/h/e im sure he doesnt even know how to get his car running rich. Unless he is using some after market fuel managment. WHo knows. He is asking about basic mods, but i agree with what your saying. Sometimes it will help on a heavy modded civic. Kinda like what you get a high flow cat for. On a stock car a high flow cat will due more harm then good most of the time, but you have a turbo or SC with i/h/e and some other performance mods, you most likely will get a nice boost from it. Nothing crazy or major...just little bit.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:44 AM   #30
pdiggitydogg

myself - what is your damn problem?! He wanted an opinion of what to do with his money...I told him to save it; end of story. Get over it alright? "To each; their own." You could have just said "buy a header", you didnt have to say that everyone else is an idiot and he has to do what you say or else he'd be stupid (clearly Im not quoting you but this is basically what it comes down to) Why don't you just let people make their suggestions and call it quits?
Old 01-24-2003, 11:57 AM   #31
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Im with OC on this.. I/H/E are the biggest waste of money when you have a motor on stock internals.. I know.. Ive Been there, Ive done that.. It was the most money Ive ever spent on visuals for my car.

Just like OC said, even though you may gain a hp or 2 at peak, you have just lossed hp at other RPMs.. To me its more important to have a nice flat torque curve then a short peak anyday. It increases the driveability of the car overall.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:21 PM   #32
HighLife

I dont agree, I think 2 civics, both 2000, both Vtecs with the same interior same engine etc etc.

Put them at a stop light....one on the left has I/H/E ...maybe some other bolt on mods (pullys, short shifter). One of right has bone stock...nothing at all but factory equipment. Now....they both take off...who will win and why?

I think the modded car will pull away....why? Not cause its a HUGE inrease of HP, but becuase the car can perform little better then stock. What do we mod a car for in the first place.

As for I/H/E being a waste of money? Other then suspension and cosmetic, why other mods are there? Performance wise? You going to throw a turbo on a bone stock car? Throw a 50 shot of NoS? No, why cause you stock stuff wont give the car what it needs when it uses Forced induction or Nos. Just my opinion, ive been doing mods on my cars since i was 16 (11 years) I have never seen any stock car beat a modded car of the same type and engine.

Now, im not saying that IHE is the best thing you can do, its price performance isnt even close to a Turbo/supercharger/NoS, but again ask yourself...do you think your car will benifit from these mods after you get a turbo?

Last example, 2 cars....both Civics, both D16y8s, both turbo'ed. Car on right has just the turbo kit..NOTHING ELSE. Car on left has Turbo kit+ IHE. Who will win?

Im not mocking anyone here. I know everyone has their own thoughts on the matter. But dynos dont lie. They will gauge what your car can do. Both stock and modded. Now ask yourself, what would a dyno read on a Stock car, what would a dyno read on a car with IHE. Maybe not a huge increase but its a bolt on increase in HP, only if its just alittle, its still a increase. With all the pricey stuff out there now, maybe its not the best price performance as i said before.

I do agree however with the giving and taking....if you change something outta stock your changing the balance of your car. You will lose some here for some there. Thats a battle everyone knows about. Maybe not the really noob people, but the original post ask for a mod that will give him a few horse for 100$
Old 01-24-2003, 12:26 PM   #33
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

The guy in a stock car could win pretty easily.. Maybe the other guy sucks at driving..

I watched a guy in a bone stock 95 civic LX coupe beat a guy driving a V6 mustang buy a half a car 3 times in a row.. Believe me if you want, I dont care. I was there and witnessed it.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:33 PM   #34
HighLife

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
The guy in a stock car could win pretty easily.. Maybe the other guy sucks at driving..

I watched a guy in a bone stock 95 civic LX coupe beat a guy driving a V6 mustang buy a half a car 3 times in a row.. Believe me if you want, I dont care. I was there and witnessed it.

Im sorry rice....you right there....if the driver sucks then its a no brainer.

But say...just say....that both cars had Winston cup winning drivers. Or drivers that are the same skill. Now re-answer....what car would win?

Well a mustang hmmm lets see what does that car weight? How much HP does a v6 in one of those put out? New ones weigh about 4000lbs and put out about 193hp (from ford site)

Civic LX ....how much does that weight in...what engine does it have? Are both cars manuel? hmm not sure on the weight..maybe about 2300lbs might be a little bit more, and put out about 110hp maybe? 1.5L
Old 01-24-2003, 01:47 PM   #35
silver

Quote:
Last example, 2 cars....both Civics, both D16y8s, both turbo'ed. Car on right has just the turbo kit..NOTHING ELSE. Car on left has Turbo kit+ IHE. Who will win?

I would go with the car on the right, I don't want to see a turboed car run with a dc header and an aem cold air intake.

As for your argument, a modded car should beat a stock one, because the mods changed the power curve. Hypothetically the modded car could have less hp and still beat the stock civic, peak means nothing, its where the meat is in the curve.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 01:52 PM   #36
HighLife

Quote:
Originally posted by silver
I would go with the car on the right, I don't want to see a turboed car run with a dc header and an aem cold air intake.

As for your argument, a modded car should beat a stock one, because the mods changed the power curve. Hypothetically the modded car could have less hp and still beat the stock civic, peak means nothing, its where the meat is in the curve.

Yes sorry i meant modded as in bolt on mods. Just a example....
Old 01-24-2003, 02:00 PM   #37
pdiggitydogg

hows a turbo car gonna have a dc header anyways?
Old 01-24-2003, 02:11 PM   #38
oc civic

i say that IHE is NOT enough to decide a race.... i STILL think it would be a "drivers race"..

two corrections to some previously made statements

IHE cost MORE than nitrous oxide....

NOS nitrous kits ARE designed to work with a BONE stock car..

$800 I/H/E 8 hp
$4-500 NOS 50 hp

you tell me..
Old 01-24-2003, 02:14 PM   #39
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

It would be to close of a race to really tell who would win.. But either way, the guy that didnt waste over a 1000$ on bolton crap would probably be happier since, if he did lose, he probably didnt lose but by much more then a paint chip..

Not to mention the loser is a $1000 closer to buying a real mod that actually makes a difference. Or if he decided to do it the cheap way, could buy N2O and kill the guy running the waste of money bolt-ons.

Moral of the story is, unless your worried about looks dont buy simple bolt-ons and expect to go racing!
Old 01-24-2003, 02:23 PM   #40
pdiggitydogg

sure wish i hadnt bought my header and intake...wouldve saved me $300...damn it all...now i wish i had $300...