.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2003, 02:58 PM   #1
Sol's Eye

Use for dual monitors?

I've had my Radeon 9700 Pro for a while now and still haven't found a real use for the dual monitor support. I've been sitting here staring at the extra desktop space just wondering what a good use for it would be. I would use it for internet/media while playing full screen games, except that most of the full screen games I play bind the mouse pointer and crash when I alt+escape. So if anyone actually uses dual monitors, I am curious to hear what you use them for.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:07 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Its not so much for playing games and running media apps, its more to increase the size of the desktop so you can have multiple full sized applications open and be able to see them all at once.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 07:13 PM   #3
DumbMoFo

I use the feature when I'm at the office. It lets me do some development on one side and preview and run other applications in my other window.

As mentioned, it really just provides a bigger desktop.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:42 AM   #4
spoogenet

For PCs some games support dual monitor setups. I have seen some where you can look at a tactical map on one head while playing the main game on the other. Stuff like that.

Dual monitors can come in handy for graphics work or CAD type stuff, it all depends on how many different things you're working on concurrently.

Me, I'd like a quad setup. Sometimes 2 just isn't enough. I want quad 21" LCDs.....oh yeah. But I don't see that happening.....

b
Old 06-12-2003, 08:44 PM   #5
feanor

Get a 23" LCD screen and you only need one monitor

Bryan
Old 06-13-2003, 06:35 AM   #6
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I used dual monitors for things like Webpage design and Photoshop, etc. I would put all of the tool bars on one monitor and keep what I was working on it the other. Its nice, just takes up a lot of room.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:17 AM   #7
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by feanor
Get a 23" LCD screen and you only need one monitor

You're kidding, right??? Man 2 21" just isn't enough sometimes....

Depending on what you're working with, it's not just a matter of area, it's a matter of how many concurrent files you can work with. For some stuff, the bigger the display the bigger you make what you're working with, thus you still need another display. For some CAD work you can just never fit enough on a screen, a bigger screen would help. But a second or third or fourth display would allow you to look at other things at the same time....and each could benefit from a bigger display.

Sure having a 500" display may suffice.....but we're not talking about those sizes yet......maybe next year.

It just all depends on what you're doing, though.

b
Old 06-13-2003, 06:19 PM   #8
feanor

Quote:
Originally posted by spoogenet
You're kidding, right??? Man 2 21" just isn't enough sometimes....

Depending on what you're working with, it's not just a matter of area, it's a matter of how many concurrent files you can work with. For some stuff, the bigger the display the bigger you make what you're working with, thus you still need another display. For some CAD work you can just never fit enough on a screen, a bigger screen would help. But a second or third or fourth display would allow you to look at other things at the same time....and each could benefit from a bigger display.

Sure having a 500" display may suffice.....but we're not talking about those sizes yet......maybe next year.

It just all depends on what you're doing, though.

b

I have a 23" LCD and a 17" LCD and a 15" Mac Laptop -- see "your Setup" for a pic

Cyas,
Bryan